Cow Manure.....

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

The neighbor raises cattle and over the winter has quite a pile of manure..... I would like to know if this is to "potent" in its natural form to put in my flower beds and mix in the holes as I plant my seeds, seedlings and larger plants. Especially Hostas, Cannas, EE's and my Brugs.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Fresh is not so good, as it can burn the plant roots....aged is MUCH better.....take what you need from the bottom of the pile :-)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes, fresh dung can burn the roots . Piling and using later from the bottom is a sensible practice.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello All,

Couple of questions on a similar vein...

What defines "aged"? Is sitting for a summer enough or should it sit over a year...

Would horse manure be ok? Is there a difference if the horses mainly eat oats rather than "free ranging"?

Thanks,
Annie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Horse manure cab burn plants and roots just as easily as most others.......best to wait a good year before using to much of it.
At least is what I learned last year while investigating using aged horse manure in my veggie garden.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks much for the advice RikerBear. I'll pile it up then and wait. ;o)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Horse manure has more viable seeds in it as they don't reprocess their foods as does the cud chewing cow.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Goat manure and rabbit manure can be used fresh; the others must be composted or aged first. Anyway, that's what I've always heard 8=} Lucky you to have a source of fertilizer so handy!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I agree with Blooms,

As a horse rancher, we have an abundance of manure to use. Seeds are a real issue. We feed the manure and bedding to earthworms, and they take care of seed viability for us by thoroughly digesting manure. Thermophyllic (hot) composting of the manures available will also reduce or eliminate weed seed viability. Fresh manure laid out or "aged" over a summer really only works in areas where summer rains are common. In dry climates, the mineral salts in the manure accumulate and can cause as much damage as the nitrogen.

Pennsauken, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like it's best to stay away from horse manure then particularly not knowing where or what they've been eating.

I also had wondered about other things in their diet, like medicines, etc. I'd heard that race horses are given steroids. I wonder how that might affect, say a vegetable garden vs. flower beds. I don't know enough about chemistry to know how these things break down... or if they break down.

shavis: I didn't know goat and rabbit manures could be used fresh. Now... where to find a rabbit farm.... :o)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Reports vary on whether rabbit can be used fresh or not....some say yes, others no. From what I've been reading the only one that can be used truly fresh is lama. Don't ask me why, it's just what I've read.

http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

Marc,

Reports and opinions do vary on the subject of fresh vs. composted manures. I always try to opt for the easy way so if it can be done, I like to do it. 8=} For years, I've used these two sources successfully so my info is primarily anecdotal though I have done a bit of reading on the topic. As I understand it, most of the reason that fresh manures burn the plants has to do with the urine content because of the ammonia it contains. Since both rabbit and goat manures are pelleted and mostly dry, the problem is less. There is very little odor with goat manure for the same reason. All manures are good as soil builders, as you know, but most do have to be composted first. Rabbits are usually caged and fed a prepared mix so there is little concern about weed seeds. On the other hand, if goats are fed on forage, there may be some, but if kept in a pen (as dairy goats often are) and fed alfalfa hay and commercial grain, there are no weed seeds in their excrement. An added plus is that their manure is easy to handle and odor free.....yay!!! I just found out too that goats excrete endogenous substances (yikes, maybe drdon will know what that is) from their intestines so that there is additional protein etc. in their manure. Anyway, the entire topic is interesting, but kind of moot unless one has a source of this kind of fertilizer. On a side note: As I was browsing around for good material about this, I read about a place in Seattle which is a community garden called #24 Phinney Ridge made by bringing in truckloads of goat manure to enrich the soil. Coincidence? I think not! Hehehehe.

sharv

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Yes, different opinions on the fresh vs composted thing.
I have used fresh goat, lama and rabbit manures for years with no apparent problem. All the rest need to be aged so they do not burn the roots. Chicken manure is especially 'hot'. Sheep less so than cow and horse but fresh sheep manure makes the very best manure tea!!

Here in the west tho a year for aging is the best. Salts do build up from the lack of precip. Not so in other areas of the country where precip abounds, so one overwinter or one summer growing season should be just fine for adequate aging. I've had trouble with weed seeds-and not just any seeds-but canada thistle, jointed goatgrass, knapweeds and bindweed from using hourse manure. I get horse manure now from places that purchase only certified weed free hay or use pelleted feed. I almost never use cattle manures anymore. But it's just due to availability. Most cattle near me are on the range almost year round soi no one bothers to clean up after them so to speak, lol!!

I'd be interested to find out whether anitbiotics or steriods break down but it seems that the more important question is if they are actually absorbed by the plants. Not all substances are. Some plants are more adept at it it seems-like plants that actually uptake selenium (loco weed, prince's plume and others) where differnet species growing in the same area do not.

Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm glad I saw this thread --- my next door neighbor dropped off a load of horse manure on Sunday. He said it's been "aging" for about six months. I guess I'll wait another six months before using it in my flower beds.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

lol sharvis,

Let's see what the nerd can tell us...rotf.

By definition, endogenous substances are substances/compounds emanating from an organism...i.e; goat.

All animals secrete/excrete endogenous substances. I looked up some vet-med sites and none had anything to say about goat poop containing endogenous round-up or cyanide, so my thought is that unless your goats are living close to a round-up/ pcb/ dioxin source...all is well with Billy and Companys' excremental properties.

From a perspective of a goat's diet, I might suggest that not only is goat manure safe, but they have what appears to be a very thorough digestive process, so it would also appear that there is indeed a rather reduced threat of weed seed in their manure, certainly less than with horses.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I just love potty humour

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

HA HA I love potty humor too!

I keep 2 miniature goats here (my girls), and can attest to the fact that whatever they eat, it all comes out looking the same (in regards to their superior digestive systems). I've never had an issue with viable weed seeds being recycled (unlike with my horses).

Only thing, "hard" isn't the word for it - those little -um- poos, take FOREVER to break down, they're like rocks! Hmmm, good be good for slow release though! -Christie

Now listen up gardeners,
we'll give you the scoop
on the relative merits
of animal poop.

Use all that you want
if only you dare,
when what you have handy,
comes from a mare.

For just like her mate
(your trusty old steed),
her poop will be riddled
with beginnings of weed.

A truckload of manure
from the neighbor's cattle,
will have to be aged
or your plants will do battle.

They'll burn and they'll die,
it's too hot, you see.
Cause along with the dry stuff,
it contains lots of pee.

It's my humble opinion,
that you're always in luck,
when you have the excretion,
of a doe or a buck.

You can use as it comes,
from a rabbit or goat.
Just heap on the garden,
then sit back and gloat.

Your soil will be happy,
the flowers will glow.
Veggies will love it,
and everything will grow.

So read what we say,
pay attention to that.
There's a lot to be said,
for the value of scat!

Attention

Next week at this site we will have a lecture by our own resident nerd, drdon. He will speak to us on the topic of

THE ENDOGENOUS ZONES

Adults only please. ;=]

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hahahahahaha, rotf....That was bloody MARVELOUS!!!!

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Yes.... truly a work of art - goes to show you one never knows where a thread will go or just how many talents gardeners have.... = )

Well vs71099, it's your fault for starting this thread. You should have known we couldn't resist sticking our tongues in our cheeks at the first opportunity. Hehehehehe.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I may have started the thread but you created the "Ode to Poo" ..... LOL

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

My visiting deer has been manuring my perennial beds nightly. Looks like larger goat droppings to me, except that they're left in tidy little piles. I'll report back on the effect on the plants.

BTW, one of the llama farms around here offers "llama beans" every spring.

Julie

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Julie,
"llama beans" that's one I hadn't heard........ makes it sound better though when we say we're running to the store for "llama beans" ..... much better than running to the store for ? ........

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Rofl at the "llama beans" I have always referred to cow manure in the pasture as "meadow muffins"

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I love the Ode To Poo.
I am off to a visiting circus (not to see the show,I would not do that) but to get a load of elephant poop.I lived in Africa for a long time and according to the poop experts that is the very best poop you can get.In Miami the price was very high (lots of "upscale"gardeners there) I hope it is cheap in South Carolina.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Elephant Poo....... ? who would have thought...... ? I wonder what the local zoo does with their elephant poo..... bet they use it ...... but it might be worth a call...... doesn't need to sit I take it ?

"Meadow muffins" - LOL

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

The San Diego Zoo sells their elephant poop as ZooDoo. I'm told they get a pretty penny for that stuff.

Have fun at the circus!

The 'Llama bean' thing is very gentrified indeed, yet I keep having a picture in my twisted mind of Hannibal Lecter telling Jodie Foster that "I ate his brains with llama beans and a nice chianti"....

Oh no!!!! Hahahahaha, chuckle, snort, guffaw...ROFLMAO. You people are sooooooooo funny....."llama beans"...."a nice chianti"...snick. Okay, okay, one more and then I promise to shut up, I really do. Are you ready?

Had I known before now,
I would have sung,
bout the wonderful properties
of elephant dung.

No doubt about,
we're all here to learn
that the king of the poopers
is the Pachyderm!

See what y'all made me do. Now I'll have to stand in a corner for the rest of the day. This has got to be the best thread around...hehehe. STOP IT!!!

"MEADOW MUFFINS" LOL, LOL, LOL.......

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is Seattle every year the Zoo holds a fund raiser and sells ZOODOO. They raise thousands of dollars each year.....they always run out long before all the orders are filled.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

what do you think the original hockey pucks were?
Inanda

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL ;)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

My husband HATES lima beans. I was showing him this thread and his comment was: "lima beans, llama beans--same difference... I mean, he really, really hates them. LOL

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

our zoo also sells zoodoo from the elephants; there are gardeners who swear by it. i figure they have to, if they are going to pay that kind of a price for it.

as to horse and cattle poop, i've been using it for years. my version of well rotted is several years. it must have reached the stage when water run thru it has no odor at all and the material looks just the compost that comes from my bin after hot composting. i find that in our area, this takes about 4 or 5 years. I have been sorry when i have tried to rush it and taken some from too near the top of the pile/mountain

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Bad news and good news!
First the bad news.The circus has stopped using animals in the show.No elephant poop for me!
Now the good news.The circus has stopped using animals in the show.Now I can go and see the show.I will not go to a circus that
has wild animals doing degrading things.Sharvis your poem are wonderful and this is the most fun thread to read early early in the morning when I get up.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2005 5:59 AM

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

downscale_babe...... Wow... I'm not the only one...... I don't go to the circus either ..... they can say all they want about how well they take care of the animals but I can't believe they are happy....... I'm not a fan of zoo's either although I have to admit they've made great strides in trying to create a better environment for the animals in the last decade........

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

A brief warning about rabbit manure: some years ago, I used a mixture of bunny berries and bedding as a mulch on my small tomato patch. I had the biggest, lushest tomato vines in town, but nary a blossom or tomato. Seems rabbit poo is right up there with chicken droppings as a source of nitrogen! - Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, don't need much, if any, additional N for maters.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

'Very good thread.

Sharvis you are so talented, loved both your verse'

I get my manure out of a sack!!!!!!!!! DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.