Glad's new Press'n Seal = instant mini greenhouse

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Wow! This stuff is AWESOME. I just used it to seal in some of my new seed flats outside. Poked a few holes in the top for ventilation and had instant mini greenhouses. This stuff will be perfect for winter sowing. I don't know how it works but it's great. DH says it's probably microscopic suction cups. I don't know, but I like it.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

I used this to enclose a Schef cutting not too long ago.
Got it on special with a coupon at Walmart. DH was thinking food storage as I was thinking mini enclosures for plants, LOL!!
Been wraping flats of seedlings, cuttings, etc., ever since. Works great and reseals pretty well.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I used it to cover some cups with seedlings, then I got worried about the sticky stuff on it to make it stick, I didn't know if it would hurt my seedlings or not, since it had moisture in it, and it would fall on the soil, so I removed it.

It does work great, but need to find out if, whatever is on it to make it stick will hurt the seedlings or not.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This sounds like great stuff anyone had any problems with the sticky stuff , Have to go to store and read up !!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I found these questions and answers on Glad's site. http://www.glad.com/pressnseal/faq.html

Q. What gives Glad Press 'n Seal™ wrap its sealing qualities?
A. It uses Griptex®, a proprietary gripping technology. Think of the textured surface of Glad Press 'n Seal™ wrap as having thousands of tiny hills and valleys. Only when you apply pressure do the valleys seal to the desired location.

The sealing actually works with the help of the primary ingredients typically found in chewing gum – an old idea now applied to wrap! These ingredients have been approved by the FDA for over thirty five years and are frequently used for labels found on fruits and vegetables. Griptex® technology allows Glad Press 'n Seal™ wrap to seal to plastic, paper, Styrofoam® containers, metal, wood and many other surfaces.

Q: What happens to the seal? Does it remain on the food?
A: The sealing actually works with the help of the primary ingredients typically found in chewing gum – an old idea now applied to wrap! These ingredients have been approved by the FDA for over thirty five years and are frequently used for labels found on fruits and vegetables. According to the FDA, small amounts of such ingredients in food do not pose any health risk.

Q: In the past, there has been concern about particles from the plastics migrating to food when heated for cooking. Can this migration happen with Glad Press 'n Seal wrap? If so, isn't it harmful?
A. The concern over heating plastics and migration stems from the use of chemical additives (known as plasticizers) in plastics made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Glad does not use any PVC plastics in its products.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the link, Gonna give this a try and see how it goes .

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Cool link gotta try some.Jody

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi caron & cherishlife!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi John, haven't seen you in awhile. I guess we're frequenting different forums. :-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I guess so cuz I've been lurking. :-D

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

That's what I'm usually doing.....lurking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.