Seed-starting mix?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to make my own blend for starting seeds. Does anyone have a good formula? I've been using Gardens Alive! mix, which includes coir, worm castings and mealworm guano, but at $14.95 per bag plus shipping it's too expensive. It only filled a few flats, too. Regular potting soil seems too heavy... Thanks in advance for your help.

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I took a horticulture class at Cornell, and they gave us the "cornell potting mix" recipe, that literally produced plants that were twice the size than others when we planted things in a variety of mixes (sand, soil, perlite, etc.)... It's probably what a lot of store bought potting mixes are, but you can make it much cheaper (a large bag of Peat moss is a few dollars, and so is a bag of pearlite. The other ingredients aren't necessary for germination):
if I remember clearly:
4 cups peat moss, 4 cups vermiculite, 1/2 a teaspoon lime, 1/2 teaspoon super-phosphorus, and a teaspoon of 10-10-10 fertilizer. You can substitute pearlite for the vermiculite. Everything is already sterilized. You may want to add more fertilizer when the seeds start growing.

Also, If you want, you can start a worm bin for about $30 (including worms) and produce your own worm castings....
-Mara

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Jes want to pass along, a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG, to ya .. gggrimes!!

- Magpye

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks ever so much, for the advice and the welcome.
Next stop, worms!

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have any coupons from either Garden's Alive or Gurney's (They sell the same stuff but call it a different name)?
If not, go to ebates.com. They have a coupon for 20 off 40 plus 12% off.
By the way, my homemade mix with coir and perlite was terrible, especially compared to the Garden's Alive stuff.

-Doug

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Welcome ot DG gggrimes and Doug!

There was a great htread with ideas on starting your own vermiposting (sp?). If i find it I iwll post it here.

I used the jiffy 7-25 pellets for starting seeds this year, and have had great results. When I transplanted, I put peat moss in the bottom, and Ladybug Starting Mix in the top.

I plan to try Cornell's recipe. They always have great info. If I ever took MG classes, I would want to go there!!!

I am off to check out ebates!

~Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.