transplanting strawberries

Charleston, SC(Zone 8b)

I have a deck box 2X5' of everbearing strawberries that were planted last year.. Only a few berries came up, but know their second year is when they do best.. i want to transplant them to my garden, but worry they'll spend all their time re-rooting themselves rather then producing.. Think theres any chance they'll still produce after a transplant?

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Hi TMORTON,
I have a very well established bed of strawberries that got too shaded out last year. They were also everbearing variety. I dug the entire bed up and moved it over about 10 feet and replanted them and had the best year ever. I was picking strawberries strong through June and early July, and then they tailed off and picked up again in September. I was picking them right up until frost in October. I've been feasting on strawberries all winter. I say, GO FOR IT!

Charleston, SC(Zone 8b)

Great! That was exactly what i wanted to hear :) I'll be moving them this weekend. Thanks for your input leisurlee..
Tim

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Tim, just in case something happens to your strawberries, I thought I would suggest a company that I've done business with before. I ordered about 1500 Chandler strawberry plants from them a few years back, and they arrived in GA in EXCELLENT shape. I will order from them again for my planting which is due to occur next October.

http://www.lassencanyonnursery.com/default.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.