Seen any Hostas yet?

Signs of Hosta popping up all over. Our period without rain seems to have help killing some of the slug population. I don't seem to find as many as usual so lucky in that area. I now have to keep a look out for leaf miners they did a lot of damage last year while I was gone on vacation during this time of the year. Here are a few Hosta showing themselves.
This is hosta I found at a yard sale last year Whatta deal for $3.00 don't know the variety but still beautiful all the same.

Thumbnail by

Hosta Sagae

Thumbnail by

And some Sum and Substance

Thumbnail by
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jdee, glad to hear the song helped!!! :)

There! Take a look at Kin's pics. See how different his two hostas look there :) I'm sure all is well....

LOL! Songs do help.....
These pictures were all taken today. I still have many that have not even shown up yet. Francee is the latest to show herself here in my garden. Tattoo is just now breaking the ground. Yippeee I thought I lost it last year something was eating the roots.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

GardenGuy,
Lovely hostas! What is that on the far left in the second picture (left of the flowers)?
Terrie

That is Arum Italicum.
Thanks for the compliment...

This message was edited Apr 5, 2005 8:07 PM

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

That's a cute ditty HH.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you :) Anything to help out a hosta :)

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, I'm soooo jealous of you guys. My plants are still in deep sleep.Our March was 8 degrees cooler than average. A local nurseryman who has a talk show Saturday morning on the radio said he has never seen a spring where things are still dormat at this point, even most of the trees have not started budding. We are way behind this year. I am hoping when things do wake up, they will pop!

We got 12+ inches of heavy, wet snow this past Friday and Saturday. Yesterday was 75 here. I was working in the yard with a tee shirt and winter boots because the snow was to deep and mushy and the ground is just saturated.
I just ran out and took this picture- this is what is left of the snow from 4-5 days ago. See the leaning tree That got up rooted this past weekend with the heavy snow. In the middle of the picture you can see the top of an spuce tree about 12' of it that snapped off from the heavy snow.

Maybe I should start singing to my Hosta?

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Nothing here yet either 8-{

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I found one peaking through yesterday! YEAH!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I got that pic of the daffs that bloomed a couple weeks ago, not as nice now but still beautiful to me... hope this works. Lets see..

Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Vizz8
That's a neat wall did you make it yourself?

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, my DH built it last summer,he is very talented, and loves to garden. I'm a lucky gal.

Viv

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

viv,
Is it all poured cement with stone forms pressed into it or is that real stone?
Tell your DH he did a fine job!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

It is poured concret forms, morter and real rock face, flat rock top, for extra seating and sunbathing critters. the curb is morter mix, my GK's put leaf impressions in them. GH says thanks, it was his pleasure.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Mine are all up now and starting to leaf out! :) Yay!!!

Yeah viv, very nice wall! I love it!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hostas poppin everywhere! A slow spring, but I divided a bunch last fall into 50+ plants. All are coming through the mulch now.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I am so happy. All but 2 of mine are either unfurling or showing nubs. I planted my first hosta in June last year and the last one in November. 24 total. I even moved some of them that were in too sunny a location. Hostas are great plants. Now I need to get about a hundred more...... or maybe a thousand????

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Of course, beclu.... don't really need a lawn... yank it out and make room for hostas! And that garage? Do you really, really need it? You could tear it down.... nice spot for a new hosta bed! Maybe your neighbors would rent you some of their yard space...... LOL ... community hostas!!! :)

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Last fall I purchased a nice bunch of hosta liners in Terre's wonderful co-op. They were the most adorable little plants I had ever seen and I felt like a heel when I planted them, knowing how harsh our winters can be. Honestly, I held no hope after our cold spells in January and February. Yesterday I was strolling past the liner bed and stopped to pick out some leaves that had blown in and was nearly knocked over when I saw the tiniest little green buds poking their heads up out of the ground. I feel like a new mother. What an amazing plant!

MariaJose

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I found some poking through the ground yesterday. I planted them last sept when we moved here. Didn't know if they would make it through the winter here or not. A friend gave them to me and she did not know what variety it was. Hope to divide them tomorrow if the weather holds out. Have had a lot of rain and ground is soggy and wet. Been having really warm weather but it is suppose to get cool tonight, down in the 40's.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

I should have known, most of my life is under the "be careful what you ask for" category. Had no hostas up, until Thursday or so, and all of a sudden, some things are beginning to poke through. I swear, one of my oldest popped up 4-5 inches overnight. So I spent over an hour yesterday, out covering them all with buckets, coffee cans and anything else I could find. Wasn't worried about the cold as much as the weight of the snow.

Are we gluttons for punishment or what? About the time I don't have to worry about snow, I'll be out there covering against hail!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I received about 5 hostas last fall from one of our gardening friends. He had picked them up as liners and shared with me.

Well they were such tiny delicate little things, a couple had some green on them at that time. I planted them in the ground and they disappeared, but I did put down some of my new Zinc Markers with their names on them.

Yesterday, I saw 2 little leaves on Loyalist and when I moved some mulch around I saw little nubs poking through the soil on 3 others. How Exciting!!!!!!

Living down here in S Florida, I really don't comprehend the meaning of "dormant" To me, that means dead. But patience has paid off in my efforts to grow a Zone 9 flower bed.

They're Backkkkk!!!!

Molly

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yippee for you, Molly!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) How exciting!!!!

Okay, I give up....what are liners? Guess you can tell that I'm a novice hosta grower. 8=[

Sharvis,

Liners are, take a look:

This is mine, I just started some seeds the other day. I call these seedling flats, but my terminology is self invented, maybe.

Pros: is this correct?

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Do those have the little bitty plants inside?

Sharvis,

They will be itty bitty plants as soon as the seeds germinate. Matter of fact in this one, I see a couple little starts of the Gaillardia, Sundance starting to uncurl.

I'm starting to question my understanding of "liners". I did a little looking around and find they talk about trays, liners and plugs, and I interpret them all to be pretty much the same. Some are started from seeds, some are started with cuttings.

Anyone else?

Molly

Thank you sooo much Molly. At least I have an inkling of an idea now.

Sharvis,

You are quite welcome for whatever info I may be able to retain in this pea brain of mine. Of my 51 yrs, I have only been gardening for the past 3, so I still have a gazillion things to learn yet, and doing my best to remember what I learn.

I hope someone will come along who can articulate better than myself.

Molly
:^))))

Aurora, IL

Hi, I am a new subscriber, and YES, I HAVE EYES EVERYWHERE!! I had planted most of my dwarfs, and minies in pots last year, and in the fall I planted them directly in the ground, not knowing if they would survive, I mulched them heavily, and piled leaves on top of the mulch, they have all survived, and I will probably keep them where they are. I am an avid hosta collector, a member of the American Hosta Society, and hostas are my passion. I live in Illinois, zone5. Glad to be here, and will monitor this site often.

Maxxy

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Welcome Maxxy, sounds like you belong... LOL

Viv

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh my that last post sounded like just certain ppl belong, didnt intend it that way, just wanted to let you know that it sounds like you found a good spot with DG. jesssh, oh well, insert foot... getting some coffee...

Viv

LOL Viv! Those of us who are newbies weren't offended in the least. In fact, we are happy to have anybody who knows something about anything, especially hostas. Be sure to take your foot out before you drink that coffee. Otherwise you might burn your toes...hehehehe.

Aurora, IL

I took it in jest, no offense taken for sure! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Maxxy

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

Sharvis, I did a "hosta liner" coop last fall, using winterberry farms as a supplier. Their plants are started as tissue cultures and go through various stages before getting big enough to be liners.

I cannot explain well, but here is the link to their explanation:

http://rowinter.com/WF/HL/Htm_files/Sizes.php

Terre,

Thanks for that link. I was over there earlier today, but didn't find that page.

Molly
:^)))

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Seems like every day I see another hosta poking it's head out. They are the most amazing plants to watch grow. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.