Seen any Hostas yet?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I was out poking around my hosta bed and started to get excited when I saw some green. To back up, in 2004 I cleared out an overgrown corner of my backyard and put in a shade garden dominated by hostas. I am really excited to see how the hostas do this year. Upon further thought, I am thinking that the green that I saw is likely a bulb that had been planted in that bed sometime in the past. ;-(

What about you. Any signs of hostas stirring in your beds?

- Brent

Thumbnail by Brent_In_NoVa
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Just went out and looked--no hostas yet...but the bulbs I interplanted are beginning to show. I don't know much about hostas (unfortunately) but I thought they would show in late, late spring. Are the earlier than that? Probably in VA, anyway.

The Japanese Painted Fern are perking up...as are the hardy geraniums... we'll keep checking--it won't be too long (will it?!). t.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I've got daffodils, no hostas yet.

Corte Madera, CA

unfurling.....6" across.

=)

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

H. plantaginea is poking through the soil.....due, no doubt, to the 70s we enjoyed last week. Back to 22 today, however.
Greta is NC

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

I wish!!!!!!!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'd love to, but hope, for their sake, NOT! I'm not ready to give up on winter yet. We still haven't had enough snow. But I have seen some GREAT pics in my shopping. Does that count???

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I have Snow Drops blooming & Daffidills coming up, but no hosta so far. Too early for them here in Central Illinois anyway.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Paul James is in Oklahoma right. I watched an episode of his over the weekend that was labeled as 2005. There were redbuds and dogwoods starting to bloom and at one point he was sitting in a bed full of emerging hostas. Was that episode shot this year already? In any case the bed full of emerging hostas was beautiful!

- Brent

Apex, NC

Yes, I do have one poking her head(s) out...Baby Bunting. The only one so far, and hopefully the only one. Here in the South, we've had some pretty warm weather for January and February. Am sure there will be more cold weather, so I'm hoping my hostas don't get too confused.

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

So Sweet, Lakeside Looking Glass started coming up, wow......Feb 21st, can't wait

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

stop it you guys....not fair....we still have snow on the ground

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Way too early here, though I did see some emerging crocus and daffodill leaves.
I was wondering the same thing about Paul James, Brent.

By the way, I missed your birthday yesterday! Happy Birthday!
:)

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Nope. My daffs are an inch or 2 out, but not the hostas I planted last year.

I bought this house mid-May last year, so I'm going to have a lot of surprises, it seems, from the looks of mysterious leaves poking up!

Hanover Park, IL(Zone 5a)

My daffs are coming up....I remember last year that my Patriot Hostas took a longer snooze than the rest. So did the White Christmas. Maybe varigateds take longer to come up?
More snow on the way....I am so impatient.

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

We have had enough rain for right now. So Sweet is up and running, now comes the cold again. Daffodils are all blooming nicely, I thought the groundhog didn't see his shadow???? More waiting here in the south

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

punxatawny phil did not see his shadow....and we are expecting 8-12" of snow tomorrow - not fair not fair not fair :>)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

We have been having mid 50s to 60 degrees daytime temps but in the 30s at night so no hosta peeking out yet other than the one that the cat dug up. grrrrr

Guess I need to get out there and get all the rest of the acorns out of my hosta bed so I don't have to fight them all summer. The oak was really prolific with its acorns this year.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Daffs are blooming, crocus are starting to loose the blooms, hostas are starting to poke up, but I covered them with some pete to protect them from colder weather yet to come, most all my plants are starting to grow, I hope its not too early!!!! ack

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Vizz- let's see some pictures of your emerging garden--especially the daffs! Puhleez--it's 20 degrees here today and we need some pictures of 'spring'. t.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry tabasco, I'm not set up for pic's right now. I recently had a house fire, and lost everything still restocking, In fact this garden is a new one at my new home, was able to move some plants from the old place and worked my A-- off last summer to establish the new one, so I have'nt gotten a new digie-camra, scanner, ect. I spent money on plants though! Too much in fact, but I think it will be worth it!!! But I will have the pic ablity soon and I assure you I'll post lots!! meanwhile I injoy all other posts, what beautiful plants!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Yes!!! I have eyes!!! I did a walk about in the yarden yesterday and noticed several that are just starting to poke up. I hope they either stop or our weather turns around soon. We've been below normal temps for most of March! :( My hellabores and daffs are starting to bloom and the crocus have gone by. So it must be spring, just wish mother nature would realize that.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Way down here in S Florida, my Guacamole has re-emerged and is looking good in my Zone9 bed. What I really hope for is continued good health for it. We'll see as the summer comes on.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

One of the hosta companions, Sunspot is starting to come back too.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And another heuchera that I seem to have lost the name tag on. Oops, no I didn't, that's Green Spice. The hosta behind it still browning out from the winter is Sun Power.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Hanover Park, IL(Zone 5a)

How pretty...we got a brand new covering of snow here overnight....even though it was over 50 degrees tomorrow. The weatherman said spring is coming next week. Meanwhile, I'll look at your garden.

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

Did a walk through yesterday. No hostas yet but I have a few crocuses that did cheer me up. I will be so happy to see all this snow go away.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Saw my first hosta yesterday, there are three popping up.. yaaahooooo! I'm also looking into buying a camera. Everyday I see more I want to take a shot of and post. We got rain yesterday, going into drought here, statewide. We can use all we get.

Viv

(Zone 5b)

I see signs of encouragement from an undulata up against my house.
And one out in the back of the yard. Not sure what it is yet. It looks like all my markers either heaved or were gently picked up and placed on the ground right next to where they were standing. I'll have to check my maps and figure them all out again.

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a few close to the house that are starting to peek out !! how exciting !! spring starts tomorrow !!! now as long as mother nature keeps on track we will be all ready to go !!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Boy the warm weather that I had back in Feb sure fooled me into thinking that spring was right around the corner. Still no hostas sending up leaves in my garden. In a couple spots I have pushed back the mulch and seen some green eyes that look like they are ready to send forth, but the cool nights have been keeping them at bay.

It is funny how nature works. It was about a month ago that the daffodils that I planted last fall started emerging. The weather turned colder and they just halted. Recently the weather has been warmer and they are now slowly growing.

When I cleared out that back corner last year I turned up a few plain green hostas that had managed to survive years of neglect and almost no sun light. I could not throw away such fighters so I potted them up. I ended up leaving the pots out on the north side of my house about 1/3 buried in mulch. I checked on them recently and it looks like they have survived just fine.

- Brent

This message was edited Mar 22, 2005 11:35 AM

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

The hosta that I overwintered in pots in my garage are all coming up. I moved them outside yesterday, so they could take in the rain & get aclimented to the weather. They are near the house, so I'm not worried about them freezing or anything, unless we get a read hard freeze - 20 & I don't think we will this time of years.
Jan in Central Illinois

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I have little nubbins sticking up on the hostas I bought from the hosta liner coop last year. I planted them in flat containers for the winter and stored them in the garage. I brought them out about 2 weeks ago and put them under the growlights. Tonight when I checked on things, they were starting to poke up! I'm so happy, because now I know that they made their first winter in North Dakota. When it warms up a bit, I'll put them outside in the same containers they are in now. Then I'll plant them and they are on their own. LOL.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! I still don't have even the tiniest indicator that my one lonely little hosta made it through the winter (a relatively mild one for us). It was my test hosta. I figured if it did well, then I could get into these plants with a vengeance. They have always interested me, but I've never grown them. 8={

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here they come!!

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

another

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

These have been sitting outside all winter.

Thumbnail by trunnels
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

One more. I think this is Sum and Substance (but not positive). :-)

Thumbnail by trunnels
Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Sharvis, You shouldn't have any problems growing hosta in OR. Naylor Creek is in OR & I've heard they sell great hosta. Haven't bought any from them yet, but others have & say they send very nice hosta.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Hostanquilts,

The problem is that we live in Eastern Oregon (on the other side of the Cascades). It's very cold and snowy here in the winter and hot in the summer....high desert climate. If I'm not mistaken, I think Naylor Creek is in Chimacum, Washington, somewhere around the Puget Sound. The climate is really different there like it is in Western Oregon. Hopefully, we can grow them here too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If so, maybe I can get in one of the co-ops you guys always seem to have going 8=}

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.