Sweet Peas

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all,

I'm so excited! Last year I tried to start Sweet Peas from seed, but nothing ever happened. I planted seedlings this year and have been hovering over them, waiting for something to happen. I wasn't even bothering to look today, so was I ever surprised when I finally noticed this first bloom! I hadn't even noticed any buds, but now I see them all over! Hooray!

Thumbnail by maggiemoo
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Another view.

Thumbnail by maggiemoo
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Buds!

Thumbnail by maggiemoo

Really pretty flower...is it one of the traditional heirloom types?

Joseph

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations! They're gorgeous!
They seem tricky here in Texas, but you've obviously timed them just right!
When did you sow them?
thanks!

-T

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Gerris, I'm really not sure if it's an heirloom type, just that the name is Painted Lady.

Seedpicker, I bought these as seedlings from my favorite nursery. They were planted early December. I thought they'd never grow, but they are really coming into their own now.

Thanks!
Looks like I am way too late to plant my seeds, now! lol...
-T

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Taylor,
I will remind you to plant them next fall...you can count on it!

Ok! lol...

SOMEday I'd like to grow some...I keep hearing about their fragrance and they just look so pretty in pictures...

I have the perennial latifolius ones, but they don't have any fragrance, and the foliage gets kinda ratty...
-T

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still waiting for the fragrance, I guess when there are a lot more blooms.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty Maggie, do they have a strong fragrance?
Taylor, I think you can still plant them. When I first grew sweetpeas, I did not know they were spring bloomers & I planted them in spring & they came up & bloomed just fine. In about June or July...LOLOLOL But hey, they bloomed!
Donna

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna, when I saw that first bloom I was so excited that I forgot how everyone talks about the wonderful fragarance. After someone mentioned it here, I went out and smelled that one lonely bloom... and was it ever fragrant! I couldn't believe how good it smelled, am very eagerly waiting for the rest of these puppies to break into bloom. Today I had another little bloom, so now I have one on each side of the arbor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.