My Kniola MG needs companion

Aarhus, Denmark(Zone 7a)

For the last three years, I have had a bunch of Kniola's Black Knight in a large pot at my front door. I love them dearly and save the seeds to plant next year, but... They really need a companion. A companion that blooms all day, that is.

My front door patio faces east, i.e. lots of sun in the morning (from 4am), but none in the afternoon. Last year I tried a couple of Mt. Fuji's as someone told me the would stay open longer than the ordinary MG's, but they did not thrive at all. Too little sun, I guess. Same thing with the moonflower from the year before that.

Any suggestions? My MG is a velvety dark purple.

Oh, and it needs to be an annual! We have freezing winters here, so unless it's something I can cut the stems of and store inside (a tuber or whatnot), it's not possible to overwinter,

Thumbnail by MsHansen
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

white black eyed susan vine. not a mg but would look pretty with it.

white star jasmine and smells wonderful.

Asarina erubescens, the cream colored one, would be a nice contrast, and if grown in a small container, can be overwintered happily indoors near a window. It's easy to start from a seed.

Joseph

Aarhus, Denmark(Zone 7a)

Ooh Imzadi, I love the scent of jasmine, but I'm afraid it would die the first year - this is what the spot looked like this morning, brrr:

Thumbnail by MsHansen
Aarhus, Denmark(Zone 7a)

Joseph, that sounds interesting. I looked it up, very pretty! Can you tell me how it is different from the "ordinary" Asarina Scandens? I have seen that one in many seed catalogs, but have not tried it.

Stine

Asarina erubescens has a larger flower than A. scandens, and the stems and leaves are more robust. My plant has leaves that have many more fine hairs on them than were on A. scandens "Joan Lorraine" when I grew the latter a couple years ago.

Here's a picture of what mine looked like last year:

http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/showimage.php?iid=5029

Joseph

I'd be happy to trade seeds with you if you would like?

Aarhus, Denmark(Zone 7a)

I'd love to. I'll send you an email in a minute.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.