I wasn't watching and look what happened!!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Pays to not watch, cup and saucer vine. I think their going to be beauties.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

What did you do to get yours to germinate? I've never had any luck getting them to sprout.

QB

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Really, this is the second time they've sprouted for me, the others are growing nicely starting to climb up a trellis. I didn't do anything special, not even a special potting mix, I told ya I just didn't pay attention LOL

kathy

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice looking seedlings, Kathy.
QueenB, do you put your seeds in sideways? Like a coin in a slot? They cannot be planted flat or they almost always rot.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I tried that, but they rotted anyway. Maybe I just had some old seeds. *shrug*

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I planted mine flat, didn't realize you had to plant them like that,

kathy

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Congrats Kathy! I can never get mine to sprout :(

Donna is a poet :)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Your babies look great!! I love this vine, it is just soooo elegant! and I have had success with germination by doing the sideways thing. They do take a length of time to bloom, so starting them now is just perfect. I have some extra seeds available of the purple kind if someone would like to try them. I can do 3 lots of 9-10 seeds each. I purchased some white this year and I wil be strting them tomorrow.
I also have rainbow coleus seeds available, if anyone needs some underplanting for their brugs :) , just let me know.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you soak them or do you just direct sow? I seem to remember them being really fibrous when they get wet.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I direct sowed, and I had about 90% germination. I used spray bottle to water, then they didn't "drown" or rot (and I have drowned many seeds in my time. LOL) They respond better to misting than soaking, I think.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2005 12:03 AM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go, Kathy! Curious what is the round big leaved plant?
:) Donna

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess I will count myself lucky, I just checked mine and I have one seed sprouting. I planted about 10 seeds and I will let you know if any of the others sprout.
I put them in the soil sideways, like Donna said and I left about half the seed sticking out. I kept it moist and used bottom heat. This one sprouted in about 10 days.
So good luck.

dee 8o)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The leaf off to the left? tha'ts a rooted fancy leaf geranium called platinum, it has beautiful coral colored flowers.

It took about 8 days for the seeds to come up, their now about ll days old.

kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

The geranium leave looks neat. I thought I had some cup & saucer seeds....guess not. I'll have to buy some.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Wish I had some more to share, If I get some this summer, keeping fingers crossed for flwoers LOL, I'll share.

kathy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I was sure I had some. Maybe I just didn't get it yet.....lol.

Interesting thread! I must get cup and saucer seeds going now! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Joseph

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I wonder if you can propigate the cuttings, I have some growing in the greenhouse, but would love to grow these seedlings outside, knowing they won't live next winter, wondering if I could take cuttings like I am going to of the mexican flame vine
anybody know?

kathy

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I've never taken any cuttings but I've carried the plant over to another year after cutting it back.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I guess I'm just gonna have to do that then, thanks
kathy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Look at my babies now, I might have planted too many in one pot, recon they will have enough room LOL I want an abundance of blooms here, hoping I get them.That tellis I made is about 6 foot tall

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, looks like you need to thin them out some. LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you think LOL, would give anything for some white seeds, been looking on ebay, their high dollar. LOL

kathy

Congrats! I was able to wake up just one seed of Cobaea from an entire Martha Stewart brand seed packet. I ought to name it Martha LOL.

Joseph

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's funny joseph, I guess I just lucked ou t with these seeds all germinating

kathy

i'm gonna keep progres s pics here, can't wait to see blooms, don't know how long it will take

Germination success with this one looks like a function of seed freshness. I had the packet for a couple years and am very happy to have the one plant.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Your seedlings really look good and your lucky to have so many that germinated. I have tired several times and finally got a few to germinated and they are just beginning to vine. I know that some of the seed were old and I bought more so I think maybe the seed of these don't keep very long. I did plant them differently this time thought and that may have had something to do with it also. I put them in the soil just like putting coins in a slot and leaving the top half of the seed out of the soil completly and it didn't take long and the were up and going. I don't know how long it takes for them to flower and I will be awaiting anxiously for mine to bloom to.

That is a "Knock Out" trellis you made...........LOL.......I just love it and it will be even prettier when the vines are on it.

Dee

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Dee, mine did not flower the first year, and only sporadically the 2nd. I finally tore them out in disgust. There are too many other vines that I could use that fence space for! LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dee hubby went camping or we all did, and went in the woods and cut down alot of cane, I made several home made trellis's with some of them

kathy

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Good to hear from you Donna, with the limited space I have I sure hope mine will do better. Somehow I don't know why they would since our growing conditions are about the same. I am going to try some of that miracle stuff they are talking about on the other thread called "Messenger" with Harpin. I have several vines that should be blooming better and I'm gonna see if it helps.

I gave some to Pam to and between the two of us I hope they will be alright and our cups will runth over with blooms...........LOL

Kathy I live on the river and have lots of stuff to make trellis from I guess I am gonna have to get creative and quite being soooo lazy........

Dee

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

hey, i'm lazy too LOL hubby woulnd't buy me anything so I had to make do LOL

kathy

It's a trellis that would withstand a category 1 hurricane. Good job!

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

Checked my pot and I have seeds sprouting!!!! You guys had me scared that I wouldn't get them to germiniate. Now I'm wondering, will they produce flowers this year? I have Cobaea scandens.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's what this is too Brendabloomer, I doubt they will produce flowers this year, but who knows LOL, that 6 foot trellis is very rickety that's why I had to put it into the dirt 7 in . to help hold it up, I have another trellis on some more cup and saucer vine, will post that pic in a bit.

I have the stuff growing in two diff pots this other plant is alot older than these babies here.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Shepherd's Seeds says it takes 12 weeks to bloom. I want to know how does it climb? Tendrils? Tying? Suckers? Does it stick to things? I just planted my seeds today. I nicked them on the side, but I think maybe I should have done it on their bellies.

You're supposed to nick the seeds of this one? oops maybe that's why I didn't get but one seedling.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Gerris, I didn't nick the seeds on mine, they do climb, going to get that picture now of the other trellis and you'll see the other cup and saucer already climbing up the post, it takes alot longer than l2 weeks, the ones in the next picture are way past l2 weeks old, but it's also winter time, and maybe why their growing so slowly

picture coming up

kathy

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Ivy, they climb by really fine tendrils that grab hold of everything tightly.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's the ones climing up the trellis their oh I don't remember, maybe 4 or 5 months old, they had a rough winter and I lost one of them, there's two planted in that pot. use to be 3 of them

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Kathy_ann, your dogs look is priceless. Almost looks like boredom or disdain! lolol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.