Seed starting Heat pad?? Help!

duluth, MN(Zone 4a)

I seem to recall a very good discussion on using a variety of heat sources under the flas of seeds but I don't recall what was recommedned as a good source and I can't seem to find it again with the search engine not working. Can anyone help me?

COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

A GOOD PLANT NURSERY SHOULD HAVE BLACK RUBBER HEATING PADS. THEY COME IN DIFFERENT SIZES AND DO HELP THE PLANTS GET A START IN EARLY SPRING.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

You can buy them in kits (Seed Starter Kits) at most Walmarts, Home Depots and Lowes, too. Probably cheaper, although I don't know if there are major differences with the quality. Mine works fine and it was a Walmart clearance special.

duluth, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Dixiehil and Smiln32,

Unfortuniately we don't have a real good nursery supply house up here in the Northland and I was hoping to relocate a reliable website that sales such mats that could be used under 4 or so regular nursery flats at a time. Anyone out there have any further ideas?

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi...I read somewhere on Dave's that someone used moist heating pads. The kind you use for aches and pains. They are adjustable in heat and can be used on the lowest setting. Walmart has them for $14.99 for the 24" size. I have the regular plant heating pad that holds 4 flats, when I bought mine three years ago the cost was $65.00 now they are about $110.00. I need more space, so I think I'll try the cheap kind.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I think the cheapest way to do this is to use Flexwatt heat tape on a rheostat. This is a common way to heat snake enclosures and work well. It's really easy to do even I could do it!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My heat mat is our old water bed heater. The waterbed is history but the mat still works.

If you want a real, real cheap suggestion, a friend uses the top of her fridge.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Good suggestions, I like the waterbed one because it comes automatically with a thermostat. The refrigerator method....well...you just can't beat that price!

duluth, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank all of you for your goos suggestions, I'll have to make my mind up soon as it is close to time to put in some seeds.

Sparks, NV(Zone 6a)

I am using a long heating pad on lowest setting--it is covered with a thick cotton sheet - sitting on top of a board (so it doesn't damage anything under it). I guess you would need to make sure whatever the source is, that it's 1. SAFE and 2. Does not overheat the soil.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm new at DG ,(and computers),so I don't know how to give you the link, but I just ordered some heating cables at what I think is a very good deal from a company called hpsseed. Got the info on the greenhouse forum per cricketstomato, " my little seedling house". The greenhouse approved seed starting mats are nice, but WAY over my budget, and I won't trust regular heating mats, (as in Walmart variety), I tried it once and let me put it this way , "it was shocking"

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

The new heating pads all have automatic shutoff now. Save your money. Jessamine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.