Chamomile germination question

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have trouble getting chamomile to germinate. I've planted 2 different kinds and I see nothing going after 2 weeks on one tray and 1 week on another tray. Any ideas?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Needs light to germinate. At least that's how I've always treated it.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Caron, thats how I sowed it, on top of the soil. But I'm still not seeing anything.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Kathy
Should be about two weeks at 70 degrees.
Have you covered the seeds with clear plastic wrap? They do tend to dry out quickly...
Hope this helps.

(Zone 7a)

Hmmmmm....They germinate pretty fast and easy. Can even get out of hand...LOL. If they don't do anything soon LMK and I will send you some of my seeds.

Helpful Growing Tips: Annual flowers and vine seeds will usually germinate without any cold treatment. Hard coated seeds can benefit from being nicked and soaked in water before sowing. For example; Morning Glory seeds germinate faster when soaked before sowing. Seeds that benefit from cold treatment are usually Cold Hardy Perennials. They can be winter sown in the ground or prepared indoors. For preparing indoors, soak the seed for 24 hours. Then place the seeds in a ziplock bag in the freezer (very hardy plants), refrigerator (semi-hardy plants) until ready to sow. Therefore they will already be cold stratified and ready for sowing indoors. Always use good seed starting soil when trying to start new seeds. Purchased seed starting soil has the adequate growing nutrients for starting seedlings. Viola seeds benefit from darkness when germinating, others may need light and high warmth. Therefore do not cover the seeds with soil. Usually very tiny seeds can be sown right on the soil surface for germination. Remember to keep all seed starting moist until they germinate. Happy Gardening!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the offer Kim, last night I was at Walmart and picked up a package of Roman Chamomile seeds for 25 cents, lets see what happens with this bunch. I can understand the one tray maybe, the seeds were 1 year old, but I had just bought the German Chamomile seeds from Lowes when I planted them.

Giving it another shot, sowed the Roman ones this morning before I left for work. Hopefully this will show me something.

Whats you guy's favortie kind? Roman or German, or is there any big difference?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think one is annual and the other perennial, but that's just off the top of my head, and I don't know which is which! I will try to look it up....

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Roman is the perennial. According to my notes from last year, I sowed 20 seeds, in peat pellets, on 4/4 and had 15 sprouts by 4/12. Only 2 plants ended up surviving, I let them dry out when I had them outside hardening off : ( but those two plants set out side by side are now probably a 1 1/2' diameter circle. The foliage is right on the ground, like a ground cover. The flowers stuck up about 6". They only had 2 blooms last year but have remained mostly green all winter, so hopefully will do well this year.
Hope this helps : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.