Is there a SWEET thornless blackberry?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I love blackberries and pick wild ones when I can. But I'd love to grow some thronless ones. However, the only ones I tried weren't sweet at all. Can you folks recommend any?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dI have two bushes?? of thornless blackberries and they are absolutely delicious. I love going by them and picking a few to eat . they are very large more than an inch in diameter and some almost two inches in lenghth. It is dark now, but in the morning I will go out and see if by chance the lable is still there. Here is a photo I took of a few last summer. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Donna, those are amazing!

What do you mean "dl have two bushes"? If they are sweet, what variety are they?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi, I just went out and looked at the blackberries, And I say 2 bushes but maybe that isn't accurate. They are upright vines that i keep pruned to stay within the boundries of my bird netting enclosure, other wise I wouldn't get any berries. They are Triple Crown Blackberries from Starks. I have had them four four years and love them. Eat all i can give some away and put quite a lot in the freezer. Donna

Are they SWEET? That's really important to me. I have such limited space to plant and can't experiment as much as I'd like.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That would be important to me too. Our 2 100' rows are a very thorny cultivar but they are large & delicious. I planted some Boysenberries last summer. They are suppose to be thornless. Maybe this summer we will get some fruit so I will know if I wasted money and space or made a good choice.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes I consider them very sweet, if they are left to ripen on the vine. Actually they are IMO really delicious. I eat a lot right off the vine. Donna

Thanks, Donna.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I hve tried the Triple Crown Thornless from Raintree Nursery two different years and I just could not get them to grow. Unforntunatly the place I planted them was pretty sandy. Maybe that is what was wrong because I know the blackberries grow wild on the coast. Think they might need more water than I gave them.

I know Donna lives in a very dry part of Wash. State also. Must be her green thumb. LOL

Jeanette

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Look at Doyle's Thornless Blackberries on fruitsandberries.com. I don't have them so I can't say for sure, but they sound good. I emailed the company and received a prompt reply. They are pricey, but the site shows you that they are economical because they produce so much more fruit than other similar plants. On "Additional Information" they give lots of advice about planting the berries and what you shouldn't plant close to them.

Victorville, CA

I bought blackberries at Lowes. They are Ebony King. We just put them in the ground yesterday and they do have thorns unfortunately. I hope they are sweet but we probably won't know until next year.
-Juli

You may get a few the first year.........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.