best internet site to buy fruit trees

Lenapah, OK(Zone 6b)

best trees and best value. $200.00 hard to come by but i want to eat clean plums, cherries, pears, apples. i'm always organic, personally think it is criminal to use the chemical poisons.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You might be interested in Miller Nurseries - www.millernurseries.com - I don't know whether the prices will fit your budget but their plant stock is hardy and reliable.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's what the Watchdog users say about the *best* hardy fruit and nut tree vendors in the US (I specified the category, limited it to the United States, then sorted it by rating):

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?state=&country=US&category=73&search_text=&submit=Search&sorter=rating

I agree Miller's has a very good reputation - but they are expensive. Trees of Antiquity have a wonderful catalog and many old/heirloom varieties. St. Lawrence Nurseries is another "sleeper" - they enjoy a good reputation, although I hadn't heard of them prior to working on the Watchdog.

I haven't tried Hidden Springs Nursery (here in TN) but I'm planning on ordering some trees from them once we decide where we're going to spend the next few years....

For a long time In my mind, I lumped Vernon Barnes & Sons with some of the ne'er-do-well fly-by-night companies because of their lack of internet presence and very cheap prices. But they have a surprisingly strong rating, so that may well be an unfair characterization on my part.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Raintree has been my favorite for several years, maybe I'm predjidiced because it is my area. i have bought several things from them. Donna

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm with ruth on this. I live in the midwest and raintree is my choice. I've bought apple, pear, peach and apricot trees from them in the past 3 years and every one has done very well. Raintree would be my pick.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Another vote for Raintree...............

http://www.raintreenursery.com/

If you want cheap, they have an orchard special.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/ProductDetails.cfm?ProductID=A010

This message was edited Mar 18, 2005 10:54 PM

If you like a vendor, please (please, please, pretty please) be sure to leave feedback for them at the Watchdog Raintree recently made the "Top 30" list, but I'm sure they'd appreciate the additional comments. Remember, what you know helps others!

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Terry - evaluation is done............ :-) Sorry I did not even think of doing that.

Rick

Thank you! (I know a lot of times people don't think of it, so when I spot threads like this, I nudge. Errr, pester. Or....just plain nag ;o)

It's probably human nature to NOT take the time to say nice things about companies. Fortunately, the Watchdog managed to get off on the right foot, and the vast majority of the comments are positive - and we hope it stays that way. (I think it's a much more effective tool than it would be if it were made up of mostly negative comments ;o)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We love our trees from Stark Bros, and they are a pleasure to do business with!

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

I agree. Only one I've really ordered from is Stark Bros. Haven't tried the others, but I've ordered on a few occassions and always ordered their Supreme type trees and have always been satisfied with what I received. About 3 yrs ago I ordered and planted 2 Japanese desert plums from them and planted them by the drive. The've had lots of fruit, but this being their 3 year, I noticed yesterday, both tree's are absolutely Loaded with blooms. Both are about 10 ' high. So hopefully looking for another bountiful year.

strangebob

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

When I lived in Missouri I got all my trees from Forrest Keeling Nursery. I worked there for half a year. I should try some of these other companies. Only problem I have is trying to find citrus to buy online. I haven't found one yet that will ship to Arizona. There are so many citrus trees I would buy if only I could. lol Buying at a local nursery isn't all that productive considering they just have a couple different varieties.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

STARK's !!
Nectarines bloomed their 3rd year this being their 5th.
Nectarines were so good I ordered dwarf peaches last spring and my neighbor ordered a nectarine. All 3 bloomed this spring.

My raspberries all came from Starks and the Harvest Gold is a favorite of mine out of all plants in the yard whether fruit, flower, foliage or bush.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Adams Nursery in PA, although it might be a ways to send, except when dormant. Ordered, then rec'd Pink Lady apple (only place in country that sells that type to non-comm), a gala and white nectarine. They are doing fantastic! ~ Suzi :)

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Redapple,
What company did you decide to go with and what did you get??!! ~ Suzi ♥

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.