CDN RU part 5

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I guess this got erased when the server was down, so I'll re start it.

TWO months today the big event is starting. DG's 1st ever Canadian roundup.

OK, here's the latest list of "who's coming to dinner" Victoria April 1-5th 2005

OldFlowerGirl (Donna) Castlegar, British Columbia
jagonjune (Lynne) Edmonton, Alberta & Anne
MG99 (Linda) Victoria, British Columbia
spklatt (Shannon) Gatineau, Quebec
Roselaine (Elaine) North Vancouver, British Columbia
brugcrazy (Jeanne) Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Heatherbelle (Heather) Victoria, British Columbia
inanda (Ginny) Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lilypon (Pam) and DD Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Paradise (Ingrid) Quebec
yumiko Nanaimo, BC
Sunrise (Dawn) Vancouver BC
Solomon (Lana) N. Vancouver BC
Nightowl2 (Sandy) Campbell River BC

Liz (probably)

Maybes:
ggd (Glenda)

Regrets, and will be missed:
Echoes
Ceedub (Christine)Ont
Lazygirl1 (Anna)
Sandy130
Weezingreens AK
Todd_Boland (Todd) St. John's NF
PanamonCreel (Milan) Dorval QC
perrynguyen (Perry) Montreal QC
Songbird 839 (Brenda) Medicine Hat AB
durtcom (Susan) SE of Calgary AB
Kooger (Laura) and her sister, Inwood IA USA
Rikerbear (Marc) and Honey bear, Seattle USA
daturalady
trailingon
Starzz
flowerpot
Daryl, Vernon BC

Monika's Book "Engelstrompeten"
OldFlowerGirl
Yumiko
Lilypon
Heatherbelle
Paradise
Sunrise

Anyone else that's interested please jump in! :D

Since the last thread was getting a bit long.....here's a new one for plotting and planning.

Just a word of planning for all of you planning on staying in Victoria, and flying out here. I noticed on the news tonight, that the 2005 WORLD curling championships are here in Victoria, April 2-10 2005. I'm thinking that you should be making reservations PDQ.

Are people interested in going to watch some world class curling? I haven't yet scoped out the price, I thought they'd be too much for my blood, but I will check if folks want to go.

ACCOMADATION INFORMATION

[HYPERLINK@tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca] is a link to get the B&B's for Cordova Bay, which is about 5 min from our house. they range in price from ~60/night to ~150. There are more, I'll get them here as well. I think some places, if you are staying for 4-5 nights, you may be able to negotiate a cheaper price.

This place is about 5 minutes away, and they have 2 double beds in each room, so some of you guys may want to cost share. Looks good.
[HYPERLINK@tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca]

Here's a web site with more to choose from. [HYPERLINK@www.bedsandbreakfasts.ca]

However, it may be best to just get everyone here, get together and plan our days and evenings then. It must be on the second part of this thread where we had talked about having Sunday morning free for church, and I think Saturday afternoon or morning is slated for Jeanne's presentation, as she's only here for Saturday for sure.

There's so much to do and see, and so little time....

Butcharts gardens, expect about 3-4 hours
Butterfly gardens, expect about an hour, 2 including travel time
Dinter nursery south of Duncan, great place to go for tropicals, including travel time, expect 2.5-3 hours.
Gov't house gardens, expect 1-2 hours
Abkhazi gardens, maybe an hour, I've never been there
Marigold, Garden works, Elk lake, and other nurseries, could take a full day to get to them all
Jeanne's presentation, either morning or afternoon
Sight seeing??
High Tea or Sunday Brunch at the Empress? I’ll post the cost of brunch, I think it’s something atrocious, but will find out first.

Other ideas?

I think I've copy and pasted the pertinent information, if I've missed anything, let me know

Here's the info on who's getting Tote's

I guess everyone has had their's arranged, if not contact Oldflowergirl aka Donna

here's some new info, added today

Peeps, I want to run some ideas by you all that Lana sent to me. I think they have merrit and I want your valued opinions as well please. First....

A profile from all of us attending the RU (not too long or personal) just to give us all an idea about who each other is /likes/dislikes/family/type of garden and /or type of environment we like in, eg. acreage...etc. As Lana says, "This would give us all a better understanding of each other prior to our meeting". Of course, participation would be on a volunteer basis. Also....

That we have a small gardening related gift exchange with each other. "This will act as an icebreaker, serve as a momento of our get together and be fun to boot"! Lana mentions that this could be done on the first night or the last night. We could barter or exchange or trade with each other for a fun activity. Gifts should be kept under $20.00 and must relate to all things gardening.

I like these ideas, and think they'd be fun. What do the rest of you Round-uppers think?

Lana also mentioned that she found an internet address for a company that organizes group garden tours tailor made to suit the group's needs. They can even supply the transportation. Might be something to think about.

Thanks for the ideas, Solomon. (Lana) :D

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 9:55 PM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

My posting this morn was regarding another garden centre, Brentwood Bay Nurseries, where I do most of my rose purchasing...This place is not far from Butchart! I actually phone Kath or Judy, and ask them to send my babies on Greyhound, which is where I pick them up at the station...what a great way to go!!!!!!!!!! Elaine........oh by the way, Victoria garden centre out Cordova Bay, is a great one also!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Linda, did you get the email I sent you regarding the totes?

editted to say, after checking may e-mail, I see the message I sent you isn't there. But what I wanted to tell you is that you may as well delete the tote info now, rather than updating it. All 16 totes are spoken for and paid for. I have a list here anyway. Thanks.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2005 7:56 PM

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

Linda, I think the idea of a short profile and garden related gift certainly has my vote
but I will go with the majority.
Heather

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

With all the confusion of Servers being down and new threads, I am still looking for opinions on Lana's ideas above. Thanks for your comments Heatherbelle. I think you posted one before the disaster yesterday, Shannon. Would you mind posting it again. Anybody else?

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

I don't really think we're going to need any icebreakers. I feel like I already know the people who regularly share so much of themselves here every day and I'm dying to meet them. We're going to have the brugmansia presentation after dinner on the Friday night and I think by the end of both we'll be well away.

I think bringing lots of plants for the trades and something for the potluck dinner is enough to bring. Many people are coming by plane and bus so I think the less they have to carry the better.

Just my opinions. Like Heather I will go along with the majority.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I agree with Sandy!!!! Duh. Edited thought NightOwl was Yumiko.
Inanda

This message was edited Feb 3, 2005 10:21 AM

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I will go along with the majority as well.....

MG99-You will have another non smoker in your home..I'am on my 3ard day of not smoking .
Ingrid

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I never thought of books for trading too. Great idea, Jeanne. Will we be having a pot luck sign up?

This message was edited Feb 3, 2005 10:27 AM

I agree with Sandy, bring lots of different plants, plant related books etc for trading and something for the potluck dinner on Friday night. That's probably enough to remember.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Forgot about local people driving. (Counting YVR people as local).
Inanda

This message was edited Feb 3, 2005 2:30 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Because it is fairly difficult to bring potluck food when travelling, think we will just divide up the cost and pay Linda. We do need to know any allergies, vegetarians. Thats all we need.
Inanda

I was thinking of the people who lived closer to bring some food for the dinner. That way it would make it easier for Linda. I was going to bring down either salmon for the BBQ or some smoked salmon, whichever Linda would prefer. Since I live in Campbell River, salmon capital of the world, I couldn't come without some sockeye.

As to preferences, I don't eat red meat, pork, lamb. I do eat fish and chicken.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm allergic to eggs, thyme and bayleaf.....other than those three I'm game to try anything.

DD doesn't have any allergies but isn't a fan of lamb or pork.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Darn, and one of my specialties is an egg dish for Breakfast when it was my turn to cook. I'll have to think of something else.

I can eat anything and everything (That's my biggest problem!). No food allergies.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Donna you can make it for the others.

I didn't mean that people coming from far away should bring something with them for the potluck. I think we should make up a list of food categories then people can sign up for what they intend to bring. People living close enough can make it and bring it if they so desire. The people coming in from the airport can stop at a supermarket and get whatever they would like to bring. I've been to lots of potlucks and often people bring things they've picked up from the deli or bakery because they don't have time to make it themselves. I just don't think that Linda should have to go out and get everything. She has enough to do with hosting the event. Just my two cents.

Potluck Sign-up:

Appetizers:
Salads:
Main Course:
Side Dishes:
Bread/Buns:
Desserts:
Beverages:

If you wish to add or change things be my guest.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'll bring a tin of Edwards coffee and a couple bottles of large pop.

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

As I live only a few minutes away from Linda, I will wait till everyone else has picked what they want to bring and then I will help to fill in with anything that is left.
(e.g. hot items).
Heather

I will bring a side of sockeye to BBQ or a large side of lox. Let me know which you would prefer.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

This is great!

This is a long reply, go and get a tea or coffee or whatever you'd like to drink....

We'll have some red wine at the house, and are there any other preferences of booze?

The BBQ was just fixed up and it works great. We're often doing chicken, fish or steaks on it.

We've been out to one of those big box stores and got all sorts of utensils, napkins and will get heavey duty paper or plastic plates. I'll rent a big coffee pot as well, we're not coffee drinkers so don't even have a little one.

If people traveling from afar have a special dish they would like to make, let me know what you need and I can have it ready for you to make. I haven't thought about what to make, that's the fun of a potluck. I usually end up making something that I like to eat.

My only dietary restriction is curry. I love it but it doesn't love me.

Pam, can you eat eggs if they are in something? What about meatloaf that has an egg in it? probably not huh?

I'm planning to have as much of a fun time as the rest of you guys, and not get stressed out about the what if's. I'm thinking the Friday evening dinner will be a meet & greet, then the great brug show & tell from Jeanne.

That evening we can plan as a group when we're starting the next day. Remember, the time will just fly by. I think we'll have to end up prioritizing our choices of what to see & do. Or maybe break up into 2 groups if some have different priorities. Only time will tell. I'll go back and get the list of what most folks are interested in seeing and post it here.

I admit that I will be doing some preparing and probably hosting of things, but Cheryl certainly will be playing a big part in the planning and getting the house and meals organised. Probably more so than I. She works very hard around here.

There's so much to do and see, and so little time....

Butcharts gardens, expect about 3-4 hours
Butterfly gardens, expect about an hour, 2 including travel time
Dinter nursery south of Duncan, great place to go for tropicals, including travel time, expect 2.5-3 hours.
Gov't house gardens, expect 1-2 hours
Abkhazi gardens, maybe an hour, I've never been there
Marigold, Garden works, Elk lake, and other nurseries, could take a full day to get to them all
Jeanne's presentation, either morning or afternoon
Sight seeing??
High Tea or Sunday Brunch at the Empress? I’ll post the cost of brunch, I think it’s something atrocious, but will find out first.

Some preferences:
-Butcharts, a couple of greenhouses and the Butterfly Gardens. Also a seafood restaurant.
-The highest on my list are Butcharts, Butterfly & Gov’t house.
-Oh yeah.........the conservatory (at the Empress?) is worth it...sure!
-found a place on the net that arranges custom garden tours in Victoria. Would we be interested or should we go on our own? Your thoughts ladies? Round Up is getting closer every day!
-Brentwood Bay Nurseries, where I do most of my rose purchasing...This place is not far from Butcharts!
-Victoria garden centre out Cordova Bay is a great one also!

I would suggest that if we go to Butcharts, and I imagine that's high on the list of things to do, then the Butterfly gardens are right out there, and we have to go by them to and from BG's. They re-open Feb. 26, here's their web site [HYPERLINK@www.butterflygardens.com

So I've asked the Empress to let me know what they can do for us regarding a lunch there. They don't have the same 'Sunday Brunch' that they used to, now it's downstairs in the Kipling’s restaurant (sp) It's a buffet, and the price isn't listed. I've asked if they have some deal if we come as we are 15 people, most from out of town for a conference on gardening. I'll let you know what I find out, and here's a link to the dining page they have [HYPERLINK@www.fairmont.com]

I’ve talked with the Empress, and they said we can all sit together in Kipling’s, and the Sunday brunch would be ~$25 +tax pp. I have not booked anything. I remember that most were leaning away from the cost of the Empress, but this is just FYI.

These are just my summations to date. Of course I’ll go with the majority. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like added to the list.

Do you want me to check out and or arrange a garden tour? Did someone have a link to a tour company that would tailor a garden tour for us?

Linda

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Eggs are fine if they are a minor ingredient (ie bread) but as long as every dish doesn't contain egg I can pick and chose. ;)

We can also BYOB as well.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Yes, Lana said she knew of one, Linda. Everything sounds great. My priorities are the first three you mentioned, Butchart, Butterfly Garden and at least, The Empress Conservatory, anything else is icing on the cake.But will adapt to doing whatever anyone else would like too.

Sandy, those of us that are coming by Plane could certainly beg the person driving us to Linda's to stop so we could pick up something for the potluck. That would work just fine. If you want us to choose something now, I 'll certainly pick up a dessert of some sort.

Pam, I know I could still make my egg thing, but it just seems a shame not to have you share Breckie with us. :(

Linda, you're providing the venue and hosting quite a few people so I don't think you should also have to cook. JMHO

I agree with Pam, BYOB is the way to go. Whoever likes to drink can bring what they prefer.

I'll bring some salmon for the BBQ, maybe a few other people could bring some chicken or other fish?

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

Linda, do you have an idea of where everyone is staying? I know Jeanne and Sandy may camp at my place - I was wondering about the logistics of it all.
Heather

Heather, Sandy and I are planning on camping in your driveway if that's still fine since it's flat. Reserve a bit of driveway for us. LOL

Edited to say we will arrive on Friday afternoon probably leaving Sunday morning.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2005 4:55 PM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Guess it is about time to get ETA, airline and flight number for those arriving by air. Anybody coming on the ferry without a car we can work out pickup later.

Would be a good idea for everybody to say where they are staying so we can work out transportation during RU.. Name of hotel/B&B with phone number and address if staying with friends.

last of all, those who are not able to come for the whole time, please say what days you are coming (if you know yet) and what things you really want to see/do.
Thanks
Ginny

This message was edited Feb 3, 2005 7:42 PM

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

OK, I'll be first,

I am arriving on Friday, April 1 at 17:55 (5:55 pm) on Westjet flight 503.
I am fortunate enough to be staying at Linda & Cheryl's home.
I will be flying out on Tuesday, April 5 at 9:00 am on Westjet flight 12.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Wreggitt's Wroost

(our house)

Linda & Cheryl
Pam & her Daughter
Donna from Castlegar
Ingrid from Quebec
Shannon from Quebec.

I think that's all that's staying at our house. Did I get everyone and get it right?

Heather, Sandy & Jeanne are all of 5 min. away.

Linda

Victoria,, BC(Zone 8b)

Jeanne, the reserved sign is on the driveway !

Potluck Sign-up Update:

Appetizers:
Salads:
Main Course items: Jeanne - a side of sockeye to BBQ or a large side of lox
Side Dishes:
Bread/Buns:
Desserts: Donna - a dessert of some sort
Beverages: Pam - a tin of Edwards coffee and a couple bottles of large pop
BYOB re: alcoholic beverages

If you wish to add or change things be my guest.

I was thinking that it might be fun to go for dinner in Chinatown maybe on Saturday night. There are many good restaurants there. Anybody else like that idea?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

love chinese

don't know what i will bring for potluck but i never have a problem travelling with food do it all the time and will be bringing stuff for a couple of appetizers anyway

byob is great

i am staying downtown and would love brunch at the empress but i don't think everyone necessarily has to do everything

sounds like saturday could be a marathon day with butchart, butterfly and a couple of nurseries thrown in for good measure

have rented a car and will transport whomever we coordinate with on flights don't think my flight is in a lot earlier than pam's and ingrid's could bring them

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

I am very excited for all of you, this is going to be so much fun! PICTURES please all of you. Joelle

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I love Chinese food as well..
Food for me is no problem-we get along well together.LOL So whatever, and wherever is fine with me.

Potluck-
Well, I can bring homemade Turkey pies frozen/ squares/ couple bottles of white wine.
Even better-Just let me know what you would like to bring. Or, to purchase down there at a butchery / grocery store ?? I'am easy .

Ingrid

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Love Chinese as well. Like the idea of BYOB.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I can pick up some wine too.

Nanaimo, BC(Zone 7a)

Which day will be pot luck dinner?
I can bring sushi and Vietnamese salad roll.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Yumm....I believe it is Friday night, Yumiko.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.