growing Arisaema triphyllum from seeds

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

I started the seeds on Dec 10, 2004. After 4 weeks, the seedling is about 1 inch tall with a single triangle leaf. But then it looks like they are not growing it any more. I know they will go dormant after 2-4 months, but not sure if they should just stayed with one leaf or will they get taller. Any ideas? I will upload a picture when I get home today.

Arisaema can be a bit odd as seedlings. They only have the one leaf first year and can appear to stay still for a while then die back. The first time I grew them was from seed and they all died back after a few weeks but they came back a few months later with no problems.

Here is the picture. This is my first time of growing arisaema. So I didn't know how easy they germinate. I guess I put too much in one little pot. But they are so tiny that I am afraid to transfer them.

Thumbnail by fangNJ

You don't need to transfer them just yet, when they all die back there will be tiny tubers in there that will be much easier to transplant. You could probably leave them in the pot for another year if you want to keep an eye on them.

This is the seedling of Ariasema flavum. I ordered the seeds from J. L. Hudson,

Thumbnail by fangNJ
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

How moist do you leave these once they die back? Thank you, Joelle

Fang, they are healthy lookling little seedlings!

ImCanadian, that's the difficult bit as they don't like being too moist when dormant and can't cope with being too dry either when they are young tubers. I put my finger into the soil/compost about half an inch, if it feels dryish, I give it a light water.

This is Arisaema sikokianum. I didn't grow it from seed. I ordered the bare root from ChenYi. Can't wait for the flower.

Thumbnail by fangNJ
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Thanks Baa, the finger test. lol
That is exciting Fang- please keep us posted. Joelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.