stringless green beans

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

what have you found as the best stringless pole green bean. I would really like to plant some this year that I can grow more upright for more ease in picking. Can you help?

Deb

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

the balck seeded blue lake pole bean. It is stringless, and snaps too. Best flavor fresh, canned, or frozen. Very productive. I am loyal to them. Got mine at http://www.seedsofchange.com

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

As you have probably discovered by now, your choices for a stringless pole bean are few. Most of them are string beans. In addition to the aforementioned Blue Lake, there is the Romano, a wide flat Italian bean. Flavor is a little different but a good snap bean, Fortex is advertised as stringless as is Kentucky Blue. Have not grown either one as I prefer the older string pole beans like Kentucky Wonder, Lazy Wife, and Greasy

This message was edited Feb 2, 2005 8:37 AM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Burgundy Pole is also stringless, a.k.a. Purple Pod.

Fdill...I was looking at those "Kentucky Blue" ones...might try them one day. I know I sure like the Ky Wonder!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I grew a nifty purple pole bean last year that seemed tender & stringless also. The cultivar was from Pinetree's 2004 catalog, 'Purple Trionfo Violetto'. They had a more intense flavor that the green bush hybrids I've tried, almost "nutty" as the description said. I will grow them again next year, and this time I will save more than a few seeds! I'm also going to try 'Kentucky Blue', as I was intrigued by its being a hybrid of (I think) 'KY Wonder' & 'Blue Lake'.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Kentucky Blues parents are Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, but it is a fully stabilized OP. You can save seeds.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info, Farmerdill! I will definitely save seeds!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have grown Fortex and liked it so I am going to plant more this year, when it finally gets that warm. I've ordered my seeds but haven't arrived yet. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.