Passiflora germination?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've often thought that the Plant Files should have a section on how to germinate the seeds of each, it would save a lot of seeds from being wasted and solve a lot of frustration. Many times with different or unusual seeds they require a lot more than just tossing them on dirt.... a lot of begining gardeners could even use help with common ones (which should be covered with soil and which are surface sow.).

Any way this is my question... I've heard of talk of orange juice when germinating passiflora, please some one tell me do you wet a papertowl with orange juice? Tell me the correct way to get my passiflora seeds to germinate. How long do they take to germinate?

Do Trumpet vine need stratification? How should I germinate them, will the wet paper towel method be a effective method?

This message was edited Jan 29, 2005 10:53 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Take a look at http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html - originally published by Thompson and Morgan, it features descriptionsof fifteen basic methods and a long list of seeds. Passiflora is shown as needing #13. Not sure about the orange juice, but if you have seeds to spare, try experimenting with it and hydrogen peroxide.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks! Great link!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

Passiflora I germinate all the time... I snip the pointed end lightly with nail clippers, then soak the seed for 48 hours and place about 1-2 cm under some porring soil, germination is a little erratic but it works.

I have also had success and using a nail file and sanding the outside of the shell of the seed a bit then soaking in regular water for 48 hours.

People say use orange juice, passiflora juice and other weird stuff, WATER works just fine!!

Chris

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Another thing to remember is the seeds must be fresh. I use GA3 and have had germination 2 days after the soak. Joelle

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well I nicked my seeds then soaked in the orange juice 24 hrs. as per instructions, that was two weeks ago, only thing showing is MOLD

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I've germinated some pretty old seeds with good success.

I soak the seeds in plain old water for a while, the longer the better. I usually soak for up to a week.

Then I press into sterile soiless mix and place in a window.

For even better results, remember that most passionflower seeds like a lot of warmth so bottom heat is good. Also in combination, lightly nick or sand seeds and place pot under bright light with lots of humidity, like in a plastic bag.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking I just killed my only passiflora seed. :-(

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

How??!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just plopped it into some dirt without soaking for very long, LOL. There is no way I can find it to save it- it's too tiny. It's a danged wonder I have anything in my gardens for how my thumb turns black.

Hey don't feel bad CT, I killed and entire package of passiflora caerulea seeds. I read somewhere that they should be winter sown....duh. I brought them in and am babying them now, but I think its of no use. I'll have to try and find some more.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Awe Cee, :-( - I'm sorry!

Maybe yours will pop up and grow beautifully! If mine manages to make it I'm sure cuttings will be avaliable when it's big enough. ;-)

Thanks. I'm still hoping....they have had a prime place in my mini-greenhouse for nearly 2 weeks now.....I'm going to check and see if I can get more seeds online today. If they come up, it'll just be a bonus then.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shoot me over an email with your address I will send you some passiflora to play with and see what you can do... make an experiment with it! No mold!

I'll throw some in some soil for good measure as well and see what happens... I have germinated 6 year old seeds recently with moderate success, I believe the hard seed coat is to blame, it seals the seed pretty good. I take the seeds and sometimes hit it with my to be wifes emery board and sand it a little, kinda like I do rail road vine. The slight damage allows water to penetrate the seed coat and get inside to the goodies..

Chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that!
Christine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.