Is this a pollination problem?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Every year I have planted zucchini, I have had the same problem - when they get to be almost the size of my thumb, the fruit start to shrivel from the blossom end first. Inside, there's a space through the center so that all of the seed lobes are separated from each other end-to-end. The only thing I've been able to figure is that it may be pollination. But my attempts at hand-pollination haven't solved the problem. I DO manage to harvest mature fruits but maybe only 30% of the female flowers result in mature fruit. I would appreciate your ideas on how to solve this. I think I may be the only person in the world who's not leaving zucchini on their neighbors' doorsteps in the middle of the night just to get rid of the surplus!LOL

Michele

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That does sound like a pollination problem. although not all the female zukes will make. the plant seems to sense how many it can support and abort the rest. I have never had to resort to hand pollination so I am no expert on that. Burpee sells a parthenocarpic zucchini called "Sure Thing" which sets fruit without pollination. Those with pollination problems might want to try it.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Is there a reason you know of that zucchini should have more pollination difficulties than other Curcurbitae? It's the only one that I have trouble with in my tiny garden.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No it should be about the same for other types of squash.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Farmerd. I'll look for that self-fruitful variety.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.