What not to put next to each other...

Victorville, CA

I had fun at Barnes Noble yesterday and bought Carrots Love Tomatoes(Louise Riotte), The Edible Garden(Sunset Books), 100 Heirloom Tomatoes For The American Garden(Carolyn J. Male). The first one even has garden plans for companion gardening.
-Juli

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

bump up this good topic

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I discovered a great book last deason and yes I have Carrots love tomatoes and her other one (garlic & roses)... I LOVE The Vegtable Gardeners Bible from Storey Press. WOW all color, great seed starting tips, when to plant info on everything and companion planting info as well as good adn bad rotation ideas as well as pest ID and how to deal with them. If I had to dump all the rest this is the one I would keep.

Drew

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 9:22 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

and the companion planting from hell...

is the one I've done this year. Put the vegetable garden 30 feet from a huge black walnut tree. I'm afraid my tomatoes and peppers and potatoes won't have a chance. I'm trying to look at it as an experiment now that the deed is done. Arghhhh.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Zeppy, from what I understand, rasied beds are a must when near black walnut trees. Please keep us informed of how your garden does as we have many of these trees also.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Zeppy, Is it too late to transplant into a raised bed, pots, containers, 5 gallon buckets? You poor thing, that is worse than what I did in my Square Foot Garden when I had too many tomato plants. If it is any consolation, we all live and learn, and we will learn from you on this one...

Drew, sounds like i need to put that book higher on my wish list...

You aren't supposed to grow peas with tomatoes, but I am not sure why. I already planted them, so I will let you know how it works...

Um.... a big copper spike would help that walnut tree a lot.... You just hammer it about 6 inches into the tree and wait and your garden will improve over time... He He...

Drew

Victorville, CA

I thought that I read somewhere that there were certain plants that you could plant, that will take the bad stuff out of the soil(I know that sounded bad) that the walnuts put in. ???
-Juli

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Sunflowers put out a similar bad thing, maybe a circle of those could block it somehow. But I like Drew's idea better ;-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Drew, I hope that black walnut wasn't reading over my shoulder, or it'll be sending roots yr way...

wait, that's pretty far. :/

yup no walnuts here... Well a few but only ones people chose to grow and that generally excludes the blacks...

Drew

Victorville, CA

My DM loves black walnuts! I get to hear stories of how when she was nine moths pregnant and out picking black walnuts and going to the hospital with her fingers all stained up.
-Juli

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Zeppy, how are those taters doing?

Here is a pic I think I promised, with the clothes rack for the beans, and tires for potatoes:

As you can see, something was relaly munching those beans. Whatever it was headed for high country once the potatoes were up. I planted these at the same time, obviously you can plant potatoes before beans, and that would have worked better.

They are framed in with old landscape timbers, and filled in with leaves. So sq footage is like about 36. So I will report the yield later.

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.