Need to know

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Do lilies bloom the first year they are planted, and would it help to plant in greenhouse now ready for spring

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine did....but I have no idea how old the bulbs and scales I planted were, and that might make a difference.
I'm sure one of the lily experts will be by shortly :-)

Marc

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well mine are lily seeds so I know they will take longer

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well indeed seeds will make a difference. :-)

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Are they the ones I sent you?
Not sure how long- maybe next year. It depends on the kind of lily you have too.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

crimson, some are and some I purchased it says to nick seeds and plant but says nothing about if they will bloom first year, that will determine where I plant them

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My seedlings don't usually bloom until the second year unless they rooted themselves the previous sunmmer. The bulbs I plant have all bloomed the first year, but were much taller with better blooms the second & third year.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, guess I will plant then in a plot by themselves in the back

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

kereoke, did you see the thread called Have lily seeds, now what? Somebody posted a link about growing them from seed, but I found it simpler than that.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

kareoke,
lilium seeds will not flower the first year. and depending on when you started them, the species, asiatic, oriental etc..., will determine if they will bloom in the second year. normally asiatics mature more rapidly than orientals.
good luck to you and let us know how your lilies grow.
debi z and franklin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.