Chamomile tea mix

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm going to look for some chamomile tea bags this evening, I hope I find some. The closest thing I have at home is a tea that is called "Sleepytime" which is chamomile, spearmint and some other herbs. They do just make chamomile tea bags right?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I baught some just last evening at Safeway.....$2.49 for 50 bags

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Riker.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My pleasure :-)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

If you have a bulk store near you they should have them.

Paul

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

What are you going to do with the Chamomile tea???
:) Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mist seedlings to help prevent dampening off.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh...thanks! I never knew that. It really works?
:) Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, it works for me.......when I use it I get less dampening off. I've never done an actual side by side comparison, but that might be fun to do.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

You reckon if I grew my own chamomile I could make my own? :) I've been wanting some chamomile anyway, worth a shot. I'm sure the chamomile would infuse into water just as easily as a tea bag would, maybe even more.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I can't see why not. I've thought about growing some myself....that could be more fun than dunking a tea bag. :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Well then I say its a "GO". :) except, I have to grow the chamomile first. This will be fun, I like experimenting with things and love making my own schtuff.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I'll use my tea bags this season and grow my own for next I think.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I just got some straight chamomile from http://www.naturalbotanika.com via ebay, because I couldn't find any straight chamomile either.

Now I'm wondering how strong I should make the tea, or does that matter? Anyone got a recipe ?

Thanks,

Maureen

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

I use one tea bag for each quart of water, so if you put five bags in the boiling watter you can add enough cool water to make 5 quarts. So far have had good luck with this for impatiens.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I dilute mine even further ( 2 bags per gallon)....have also had good results.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Bulk food sections in grocery stores,co-ops and health food stores often have the plain chamomile flowers.It's much less costly than the teabags.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I still need to get some, I'll check there. I looked at Walmart and the grocery store I go, and none of them had just the plain chamomile tea. Thanks.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Let me know Kathy I can always send you a box (50 bags for under $4)

Marc

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Marc, I have another grocery store I want to check out before I go into the "health" food store where everything is double the price it should be. I'll let you know if I find it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay :-)

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I swear by the chamomile tea spray for dampening off disease, and other seedling fungus problems.....I make a strong tea, and dilute it as I need it......a light misting spray of the tea, works wonders!! I start alot of plants from seed, including daylilies, tropicals, trees...etc....and I use the spray on all my babies as soon as they see the light of day~ Debra~

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I just started using it this year too. I mist them every morning, haven't had anything damp off yet! I read in the Seed Starters Handbook that she uses 1 bag per gallon of water. Do you think this is too weak? Anyone?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

bump...

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I use 2 bags per gallon...but I'm sure the weaker would still be a good fungicide....Debra~

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I use a teabag to a teapot of hot water and then pour the tea in my watering can about halfway- then fill the rest with cold water -- real scientific like-- and fill my mister from there. It works for me that way- and If I see mold and spray it- it goes away! whoo--hoo

Heather

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

If you go to www.plantea.com/soil-cuber-instructions.htm you will find morer information on chamomile tea. I found chamomile tea in the dollar store.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I bought some seed starting flats with the cells and soil included in the cells at Walmart for $2.00 a flat. They were very light, so very dry. I rewatered them to make them moist again then removed the cells and made drainage holes on the flats with a soddering iron-works! Now I won't worry about root rot or dampening off as much but will keep my eyes open.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Tahnks!

Howard, PA(Zone 6b)

Tamrafaye,

Sorry to pipe in (a day late and a dollar short) but what does "bump..." mean from your April 7th post? This isn't the first time I have seen it and I just wondered??

Thanks!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

You aren't the first to ask, and I had to ask at one time. :-) I just used that because I saw others using it. I went through my "watched" threads, and "bumped" up the ones with info for this season that others may need at this time. When you make a new post to a thread (no matter how old), that puts the thread at the top of the forum, so folks don't have to look through so many pages to find it. Rather than thinking of something to type each time, I just said "bump" ;-)

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Marc Dear,

If you need some seeds for German Chamomile, Scented Mayweed (Matricaria recutita) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/291/index.html// I do have quite enough.

As I have grown them before; they do take a while to build a good crop; the seeds are miniscule and the flowerheads are no bigger than a mans finger tip. They require a lot of them to make a brew. I have gotten some from my local heath food store throughout this past winter; when I ran out of them this past winter. They are reasonable in their price. I did thia because I wanted to save my little stash for growing this year. I have planted all that I'm going to on them.

~* Robin

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Does anyone use chamomile tea in the garden outside?

Maureen

Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I use it in the greenhouse...I don't know why it wouldn't work outside.....just don't spray in the heat of the day, and repeat after a rain.....

N. Mississippi, MS(Zone 8a)

Not that anyone needs my say so = but this does work great on seedlings. BTW - I have a lot of well established Chamomile plants for trade if anyone wants to stop buying tea bags and grow their own.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Chamomile is also a geat companion...

"CHAMOMILE, GERMAN: Annual. Improves flavor of cabbages, cucumbers and onions. Host to hoverflies and wasps. Accumulates calcium, potassium and sulfur, later returning them to the soil. Increases oil production from herbs. Leave some flowers unpicked and German chamomile will reseed itself. Roman chamomile is a low growing perennial that will tolerate almost any soil conditions. Both like full sun. Growing chamomile of any type is considered a tonic for anything you grow in the garden."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.