"Smart Gardeners Workshop"

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Have you guys seen this? http://www.thinking-outside.com/html/index-g.html They sell them at Sam's for $1628. I imagine they are durable as can be but I can't decide if it is too much of a 'toy' to be functional and have real greenhouse qualities. It is large and looks nice. They have one set up at Sams and my kids love to walk through it. LOL There really is not a lot of window space though.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looks like a go to me,if you put it in full sun I think there would be enough window space,and the price seems reasonable too!
Looks to be maintance free as well,thats a plus,just depends on your needs I guess.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bad go ahead on it from here looks ok to me. Linda wants one lol she thinks it is cute she even thought it would be a good dog house for Pete and Gabby. I suspect she really has visions of moving me out there lol.

We don't have a Sams is that the same as Walmart because we have that but I haven't ever see the sun house there. Of coarse I only go to Walmart twice a year so they could have it and I would never know. Ernie

This message was edited Jan 23, 2005 10:52 AM

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I have seen these GH's at our Sam's. They are really nice. I am planning on taking my DH to Sams next week end.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Well, I really got excited when I saw the one set up at our Sam's but upon closer inspection I realized it would take some adapting to make it a viable "greenhouse". Close the doors and look at the cracks, the top of the side windows which slant inward appear to have a 2 inch or so space and there are open style vents on the bottom of the walls.

I did however think it would be great workshop for non-freezing weather usage!!!

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I had to run to Sam's and just got back. I had to go for groceries mind you. LOL The one in the store is like $1888. I can't figure out why some things cost more and you pay for the privelage of shopping in that particular store. Hmmmm. It is cheaper at www.samsclub.com They have the rion gh's as well if you look online and initially the prices look much higher until you see they include almost everything possible.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I went today to look at this greenhouse. It is $1600+ online then shipping, at our Sams it is $1800+, I think the difference is just that... the shipping.
I agree about all the air, It would definitly be a warm weather garden workshop.

It is on my wish list.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think it is really cute and neat but I think heating it would be awful. I ended up ordering a Rion greehouse.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bad for practical purposes and your use you have made the best choice especially if you ever decide to grow vegtable starts. The Rion probably has two to three times as much light as the cute little shed. The leaking air could be taken care of and for my zone would not be a huge problem I like it's width your GH will be a lot harder to keep cool in summer. If we had a sams near here I would probably buy the shed because I don't need one to winter over with I need to be able to move things out in the spring so I can grow my flower and veggie starts. The biggest reason lol is linda thinks it is cute. Ernie

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I think the "cute" thing has us all sold.
I looked at the Rion and when comparing I was thinking of long term use. I live in Illinois and we have a lot of open space. I don't think the Rion would last with our winds. I can see me having to replace the plastic at least once a year and maybe more. The cute one appears to be vertually indistructable. I have no intention of winter gardening so heating isn't a problem and the solid walls will protect me in the wind. I was looking at the Thinking Outside GH at a different site and they say some of their customers are using them to house their hot-tubs... I told DH we may have to buy 2.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I glanced at the one set-up here. My first thought was that it was for someone who had lots of money they didn't need.
We just put the plastic on our new house. We have spent about that much, but we have1200 sq. ft. of space.(25' x 48').
Bernie

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I hear ya bernie, but unfortunatley for those of us that live in 'Homeowner's Association' land, they would freak out! if we put up a regular plastic covered hoop house. If it's not 'cute' and small then it isn't going to be allowed. Sucks to live in suburbia. lol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I hate this I want to build a new gh from scratch and someone wants cute think we are going for a car ride this morning ouch 100 miles each way oh well at least I can sleep when she drives, Ernie

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

Frans , if the Rion has poly carb panels that wind up there
would need to be chucking good size rocks at it to damage
them panels .. poly carb on its own is very strong and the
design of the panels makes them stronger.

there not the same as them panels you find at lowes or HD.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Frans, I bought and built the Rion! I have to say on seeing and going into both models, the Rion is more like a greenhouse while the other is more like a hobby shed. I am experiencing heating and cooling the Rion now with our crazy weather. I think the one on this post is super cute, would be a lot of fun, would look really cool and tidy in the yard, but I think you would kill yourself if you tried to heat it or use it year round. I still have not decided if it would be worthwhile to heat the Rion for the winter. If you want more info on the 'been there, done that' on the RION and from someone that has been inside both models....I would go for the RION. I am not saying there are not better models than the Rion but between this supersturdy 'hobby house' and the 'Rion', I'd have to pick the Rion. I also have to point out that I am a seed starting nut and I also grow tropicals.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am a wanna-be seed starting nut.
With that said at the moment I have no intentions of gardening outside in the winter. As for heating anything..haha, we just spent the last year working and figuring how to be more energy efficient... if I dared to bring anything into this house (or the yard) that needed to have electricity run to it or anything with a plug on the end of it, I would probably be burnt at the stake. Hmm wonder if I can heat a gh with a wood stove.

I love reading everyones opinion. It really helps when one is trying to make an educated decision.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL That is great! I still sit here and add up the cost for the greenhouse, the railroad ties, the heater, the heavy guage cord, the thermometer, seed mix, seeds, a few more trays......I am wondering exactly what year I will break even! I waited ten years to buy the thing and I keep telling me I deserve it. That doesn't mean I believe it, but I really am working on me. :) I have a heater running in the backyard and I am telling the kids to keep the doors closed and turn off the heat to save money. LOL There go all the 'Sainthood' points little old ladies keep telling me that I am earning. ouch.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

......."I have a heater running in the backyard and I am telling the kids to keep the doors closed and turn off the heat to save money. "................ Michele that is too funny ! LOL

Joy

Glassboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

We saw one of these at our local Sam's Club and figured it was a lot of money for a pile of plastic. This will probably warp in direct summer sun, will burn very well if it ever catches fire (no heaters in this unit due to that and be careful with using electric in it, too) and it will be very easily blown around in the wind -- it just snaps together so what is going to actually hold it down ??? We have been looking at an "Enthusiast Greenhouse" that is sold by many dealers and on eBay and will probably go that route in the near future.

Ken & Sue in Glassboro, NJ

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I know when I bought the Rion, they suggested you buy the white frame instead of the green if your summer temps reach 90 often. As far as that workshop warping or melting...Unless you put a heater right next to/touching it, I don't think the heat would hurt it. After owning thousands of dollars worth of tonka trucks, step toy and little tyke toys, I think that plastic will go anywhere for a long time!

Long Island, VA

I am looking for anyone who has actually set up one these Thinking Outside hobby greenhouses.
We're having trouble with the doors. We chose not to put it on cement pad as we might move it later and I think that is our downfall. Although it is on tamped bed of pea gravel and level tells us it is level.
Anyone have similar experience or have advice to offer?
Read all the entries and thought it would be ideal in Virginia with mild winters. I think it is meant to be more potting shed, playhouse.
Everyone I know with a greenhouse does not use them to full potential.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thats mighty fancy Greenhouse. Smalll too. Great for a hobby person. Very expensive hobby.

Crozet, VA

Hi Ronnib1 - I bought this shed last summer and am also having problems with the doors. I called the company and they sent new doors, but am having the same problem with them too. I bet we are not the only two that this is happening to. Got me thinking that a letter writing campaign might be in order. They need to come up with a better design and hopefully reimburse or replace those of us having the door problem.

Have you contacted the company? I am thinking that I will call on Monday and tell them that the second set of doors did the same thing and ask what they suggest.

Please let me know of your progress with either fixing the doors, or with the company making good on the merchandise.

Ruby

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, time for me to chime in! As you can see from past posts, I really wanted this "workshop. I poured my heart and soul into it. Last summer I had the most beautiful garden all around it.
I too had problems with things warping and bending out of shape, I have had it for a full year now and today it is coming down. I started to email the company back in November, I sent the engineers pictures. I told them of my concerns that "real" winter hadn't even hit yet and after the freezes and thaws I was really worried what would happen. Well, all the warps finally caught up with the shed. We had storms the other night , it blew one set of doors in, broke the latch, blew out all the windows and framework on the "all window" side, ripped off the roof... and I mean ripped, the roof is tore in three seperate places then folded it back over itsef and ripped off at the bolts. Now while I agree this was an ugly storm, Thinking-Outside warrenties its stuff for 100 mile an hour winds... the highest wind in the state that night was 79 mph. Nothing else on my property was damaged that night, just the workshop and now.... oh my... I have all my storage seeds strewn about my garden, mixed with fertilizers, weed killers etc...
In case you haven't noticed I am heartbroken. It was a LOT of money for a "toy" for me... one that I was so very proud of.
I do believe I did make the best choice for my situation at the time, I didn't really want a real greenhouse, I didn't think the plastic sheeting would hold up to our Illinois winds... It was a one time indulgance and I didn't think my husband would think to highly of me having to replace the plastic every year.
I am still working with "Thinking-Outside, still waiting for an answer...to anything.
I also think once the workshop starts to warp, there is no replacing parts... you are putting on new parts that will have to shape themselves to the old part... which leaves you right back where you started.... with a warped workshop.

I will post a few photos a little later today. Hopefully I can save someone from heartbreak.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2006 10:39 AM

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry frans. :( I sure hope the company gets back to you on your problem. Please look at my trade list, maybe there's some seeds that I can give you to replace a few of the ones you lost.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

frans, that is really awful! I feel for you.

If you buy the good greenhouse poly film, it does last several years. Maybe you will get your money back and be able to buy something that will hold up better.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Seven years ago I was working in my antique shop right next to my greenhouse. I remember this well because it was the day of the St. Peter torando. Any way we were experiencing strong south winds & we had new plastic on this house. I had to go find some extra stripping to fasten a couple spots that were blowing in the wind.
Yesterday we took off the top layer & plan on using it on our new high tunnel.
Point is, if you put on good plastic & fasten it well, wind will not bother it. We've had cats run over, branches sticking out of the top, even some unknown slits. But it never rips. A little piece of tape on each surface of the hole & your good to go.
Not that expensive, either. A new sheet for this 30' x 96' house is $260.
I don't see the selling point of these little ??
Bernie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think you are looking through the eyes of a professional grower Bernie, and not a homeowner that desires a small, cute back yard greenhouse. They do serve a purpose for people that just want enough for their friends and family. If I had known I would be moving to my acreage this soon, I would have sunk the money I spent on the Rion into a nice big professional model. Mine is nice for starting seeds and waking up my tropicals but I sure run out of room quick! It does look cute and it's easy to heat. I thought the one on this post was really cute and neat too but I didn't see a way to insulate it.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Many years ago...(seems like yesterday) I worked at Walmart. They just came up with this new idea, lets add a greenhouse to the parking lot. Thousands of dollars later, there sat a shredded mess, when we took it down, it went into the trash. This happened three years in a row. This was my mind-set when I was looking for a greenhouse. Badseed you are correct in the fact I am just a little country homeowner, I WAS looking for something cute and different. To be honest as much as I try I don't know that I am a "greenhouse" type of person. I go a million miles an hour in my gardens, but when it comes to in house and green house I really have to force myself to cultivate.
I am happy to say, Walmart woke up and put a little more than a few thousand dollars in their greenhouses, and now they actually use them more than one year in a row!
My cute house is gone... finished taking it down last night, new storms approching tonight. I am not sure if I will replace it, I haven't thought that far ahead.

UPDATE ON WORKING WITH "THINKING-OUTSIDE":
I spoke with the engineer yesterday, he said I had a few options, one being they would replace the workshop, he said they had made improvements...but... in his opinion, the problems I was having had not been improved upon. The Smartgardeners workshop has not been tested for wind... their shed has and he would stand behind the shed, (but I don't need a shed). They have authorized a full refund. While I am still broken hearted, lost at my empty garden (it looks kind of like a cemetary right now.) I am pleased with their decision. As a company, I was disappointed in their slow response, we have been working on this problem since November, but the bottom line is... they did the right thing, and I feel good.

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

That is great news frans! I'm sorry that you lost so much but I am so glad that they are giving you a refund and that the engineer was honest with you in that the new improvements wouldn't help your situation. :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am very happy to hear that they did the right thing. Six months ago I was a little city homeowner and now I am a country homeowner too. :) I have the 8x12 Rion but now that I am growing for retail, it got too small in a big hurry!

Why don't you take the money, put it in an account-maybe even a special one and think over what you really would like. If there are actually any interest bearing accounts out there, you could even make a bit of money. LOL Even though your greenhouse is gone, maybe you'd feel a little better knowing that money is sitting there for a new greenhouse, or a special garden to fill the space, etc.

If you are not absolutely passionate about growing and propogating, having a greenhouse may really not be the best thing for you. I was almost willing to sell blood to get mine, so I know it is the right thing for me. You would not be the first person that got the most enjoyment out of planting something and just enjoying it. No nobody ever said you have to propogate to be happy. :)

Have you ever seen the ones made out of wood with the glass on one side of the roof? It is more like a shed with a greenhouse side to it. It would give you more of the look and space specifications you are going for and probably would not be that much more expensive.

Have a great day frans!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It took me a few minutes to find what I was talking about. This site has the wooden ones I was referring to. I saw them build one of these on a DIY show and it was not nearly as high as on this site. http://www.spiritelements.com/ProdList.aspx?c=1216

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I like that!
My husband asked me this morning if I would like him to start working on the plans so he could build me my own little "club" house. I told him to sit on it for awhile and my imagination will kick in soon. He is currently renovating our bedroom and adding on ...of all things a sunroom. This is really ironic that I would lose one thing while gaining another. Yes I am a spoiled brat... but we all work hard and do truly love the things we have aquired while still having a deep appreciation for the natural outdoors. It is a balance.

So on to my imagination... see I pick up fast.. what to do with a 12 X 12 dead space... haha a clean palette. Last night I went out in the dark to the garden where the workshop once stood... it is a fenced in area with three seperate gardens.. I stood at the arbor entrance and realized it now looks like a cemetary, gave my hubby a hearty laugh, he says I bet it did with that arbor and the angel statues I have everywhere... We definitly have to change that. Something that is wind-proof!

Thank you everyone for your support, it means so much to have fellow gardeners to lift your spirits, or just help you wallow for a minute.....

And Becc... I wasn't ignoing your seed offer... I am just not sure what I am doing yet... you may just hear from me, but do know it meant worlds for you to offer.

Fran

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

And that is how Fran got her groove back. :) Good to hear the smile in your voice.

Crozet, VA

So sorry to hear of your loss frans. I bought the garden workshop last summer and had loads of compliments on it. After having it this long, I can offer advice to anyone thinking of purchasing one of these. Don't!!!

Even after the company sent new doors for one end of the building, we had the same warping problem with the new ones. At the moment they are just sitting wide open and look ugly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "deal" with these doors. My current thoughts are to somehow permanently close the bottom doors but hopefully be able to have the tops of the doors still open for a cross breeze.

Thankfully, I didn't necessarily buy the shed for use as a greenhouse, but more of a storage shed for gardening items. It has worked well in that respect.

Frans, I too am thinking of "remodeling" a bedroom and making it in to a sunroom. Please keep us updated on the progress of that.

Thank you folks.

Ruby

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

Franz530 --- if you decide to build or buy a replacement greenhouse-shed, get the biggest one you can possibly afford or build the biggest one you fit into your available space. It seems to me that people are always saying a few years later "it is really great and I really like it and use it, but I sure wish it were bigger". I have NEVER, EVER heard of anybody say that the wish they had gone with a smaller unit.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

YardenMan..
I think you have just made the biggest understatement of the year. HAHA
I agree always go bigger... we use to live in a 600sqft trailer, we moved out to the country and my husbands workshop is 1600sqft... and he... yes get this... complains it's too small! And no he doesn't have to share it with cars, we have a large garage for that.

I think I am going to wait on any decisions about moving ahead with a green house for this entire season. I am going to "perfect" the gardens I currently have... do a bit of rearranging and think about where I really do want to go from here.

Ruby... and everyone else that has had their heart broken by one of these workshops... I wish there was a way to not only warn prospective buyers, but to convince them this really is NOT the way to go... but I know from my own personal experience that they probably will not listen. Read some of the above messages... they were all written a year ago... I could have listened to some of the warnings, but I didn't, it was so darn cute... Speaking of cute... thinking-outside now has the coolest castle type of playhouse for kids... its like $4000+, but you want to talk about heartbreak...I wonder how long it will last with kids playing and jumping on it?

Maybe if we just post a few of our warped photos here, (that would be of the warped workshop) people looking to buy will happen upon them and they won't have to listen to us, they will see. I really don't want to run a hate campaign against Thinking-outside, they did right by me....but.........

Fulton, MO

Yes, Frans, I would like to see pictures. This topic came up a couple of times on GW when I used to hang out over there and I'll bet it will come up again. SB

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

*phew* Am I glad I bumped into this post!!! Our local Menard's has the "Thinking Outside Workshop" for sale ($1999 - YIKES!). A little too expensive for my budget but I was thinking I'd keep an eye on it all season and see what it goes on sale for. I was out there yesterday, lusting over this little plastic piece of paradise. JUST was I was looking for - something cute but PORTABLE...nice little potting bench, the "all glass" side for growing, garbage bin. *SIGH* Oh how cool.
***************AND THEN I READ THIS POST!!!********************
THANK YOU for saving me from the potential heartbreak!
Frans530 (howdy, fellow Illinoian!!!) ~~~ it broke my heart to read what happened to you and YOUR workshop!!! =0( So sorry! I can only IMAGINE how disappointed you were and I am so glad you received a full refund.
Anyways - again, THANKS for sparing me all the headaches and heartaches!
Betsy

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The message must be out. Our local Sam's has one, setting outside now, the last time I looked it was priced at $1000.00. It's been going down steatily.I'm not sure if they ever sold any, this was the inside the store display.
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.