Mystery Green

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Sure hope Farmerdill sees this, but I'll bet there are others who know my mystery green that came in a tray of Georgia Collard plants. They all looked the same when they were only 8" tall. Now look at these huge things that dwarf the collards. The are pleasant enough to eat, but they don't taste like collards. Sometimes I've been mixed them together, but I can taste and smell the difference.

You can see by the picture that these lobed leaved plants are growing right with the collards. They have little hairs on the leaf back like mustard greens, and taste like a combination of the two.

Help somebody, PLEASE!

Thumbnail by MotherNature4
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You have got me on that one. The only thing I have at present with that type of leaf is rape (canola)but it has a smooth leaf. There are some broccoli cultivars with lobed leaves and in fact the upright growth of the plants looks like broccoli. However, both rape and broccoli have cabbage textured leaves not the thin leaves of mustard. Neither has the peppery bite of mustard. There is a smooth leaf kale called Hanover Salad or spring kale, but I haven't grown it in 50 years and can't remember if the leaves were lobed. Kale and collards are closely related.

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

We've grown both smooth and curly Kale, but it isn't remotely like this plant. Well, now we really have a challenge. It can't be poisonous because we've been eating it with no ill effects.

Did I mention that some of these leaves are 3 ft. long?

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

try taking some to your local extension office or perhaps a master gardener. paulgrow is a dg'r & a master gardener extraordinaire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.