Iris spring coop part #3

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I tried to order that catalog, but every time I submit it, it says I am coming from the wrong domain. They are 40 miles from me, how can I be coming from the wrong domain? What does that mean?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Just tried to order the catalog. Said they are in window shopping mode only and not accepting any orders right now. Guess that includes the catalog because the site wouldn't take my order.

Thanks for letting me know that....it's not just me then. lol!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I called their toll free number to order a catalog.... I am not sure if I can post it here... soooo mgh, trunnels, langbr, you have mail...

Thanks Starr!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

NP ;)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I love buying iris , but I HATE waiting for July for them to arrive! By then, I've planted all the spots I had for them & need to remove MORE GRASS. Tsk, tsk. Life is sooo rough.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

yes it a hard job but someone has to do it ?

What? Order them or wait until July for the darn things to arrive. LOVE daylilies--you can pop them in the ground most of the year. And they thrive on the abuse!

abuse is good in flowers yes i agree grow or die is my motto here

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

abuse or die? and here I hold funerals for mine if they do not thrive on my nuturing care.... ;)

You have to do tough love ,or they will get out of hand .

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I do not have enough of them to get out of hand yet... but i am working on it...

They are very sneaky so be on guard.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

anything that will grow and not croak on me is welcome... come one. come all... lots of room here ... this is my back yard : I hope to fill it up one day!!!

Thumbnail by fsrstarr

drooling seeing grass gone fields of flowers YUM

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes!! that is what I see, too! flowers and plants and tons of daylily and iris beds... wanna come help me plan and it ? Have lots of room here! (4 empty bedrooms since dd moved out) .. we can take poaching shovels out for night raids!!!

can we go dumpster diving too /

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Starr, I can see the top of that hill covered in candytuft (and you can get it for $3.50 per plant on the bare root perennial co-op thread). It spreads quickly!

This message was edited Feb 10, 2005 2:57 PM

Abare lot and no flowers yet? A garden-aholic-dream! :)

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Tazzy, of course we can go dumpster diving. Around here we like to go "junkin". ;)

Terrie, I will go check out that candytuft. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am just getting started. One of my problems is that I am unsure what to plant where and I know so little that I am not sure what to plant with what. I would like to plant things that compliment each. I coud sure use advice with planning. I started with raised beds around the patio, and then made a bed where the retaining wall is. I have most of my daylilies and some iris in that one. I did not use much imagination when I planted the bed by the retaining wall. I just put the dl and iris in and there are no other plants to compliment them, except some crocus.

There is one major problem with this hill... It is very hard to dig. There are so many rocks that it takes an eternity to get any size hole at all. I was thinking to start with a large raised bed in the middle, and import some top soil, so I can plant. But my plan has not progressed past that point. Here is where I put the dl/iris bed...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Starr,
That is going to be beautiful filled with iris! Raised beds will be so much easier for you than trying to dig in that hard rock soil.

Raised bed are best for Iris .
so you made a good choice to plant that way, see how garden smart you are becoming ?

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you... but it was pure luck and lack of choices that caused me to put them there... (at least I am honest) ... I need to take an updated picture once I get the leaves off the little plants that are there.... I am so proud that I have some really nice iris and dl in that bed... It is a long way from full, but I am working on it.

There are a couple of folks here at DG that I am really grateful to for helping me out. Big thank you's to Tazzy and Wanda who are so very generous!!! and to Steve who so kindly sent me my hearts desire. There is only one way I know of to repay such kindness and that is to pass on their fine example and share with others soon as I able.

My next question is... what plants like to live at the feet of daylilies, lilies, and iris ? is it better to have the iris alone or with companion plants in front?

I will scan you a copy tomorrow of a list of plants that is supose to
be great with Iris
a lady from
the Tulsa master garders that came to speak at our last meeting

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Tazzy! How are doing tonight? You have been through the wringer.... Is Twyla resting better tonight? Are her spirits up?

she is happy to be home .and all but is awully week and all ?

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Bless her heart... and yours, too!!! I would be a mess after what she has been through... she is so lucky to have you for support and help...

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

My best to Twyla, and you Tazzy, I'm glad she's home. The smuggled coke must have done the trick!

Starr, this old thread had a lot of great ideas for iris companion plants:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/460888/

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey! Thanks a lot!!! I appreciate that link... am going there now to read up and learn... ;)

Tazzy, always looking for more ideas to pair with my iris...

well i scanned the list and its not clear enough to read and
i cant type 4 pages of those long botanical names

Hey, fast typing is not my forte either. Can you just scan it & email it to me?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.