A brief bio of Neil Mogensen, new to this forum

Arden (Asheville), NC(Zone 7a)

Yesterday I received an e-mail inviting me into the Dave's Garden Forums. The invitation was most welcome. As an opener, it would seem to be appropriate to introduce myself.

I first discovered a fascination with tall bearded irises as a child. I was fortunate to make the acquaintance of one of the great, but barely remembered now, pioneers of iris breeders in the mountain west, Mary Tharp. I first visited her garden in Payette, Idaho, some five miles from my own home, in my early teens. Over the next several years I was filled to the brim with iris lore, a basic education about the genus, and given many very famous historics to grow.

Eventually I joined the AIS, but my mother and my maternal grandmother, both extraordinarily gifted gardeners, had been members before me.

In the early sixties I finished the training as an Exhibition Judge, a year later graduated to Garden Judge, and finally served a year as RVP for Region Eleven, made up of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I traveled extensively within the region that year, but realized I did not have either the time or the resources to continue and asked the region to replace me.

I began raising seedlings from the beginning, generating enormous amounts of compost and very few worth-while selections. One, a "Mohr" OB- type I named SIGRID, which circulated widely within the region and was awarded an HM, the only award I ever acquired. Tell Muhlestein introduced for me, and I had several offerings entered into the market at the time. I think there were few sales, with none of the named ones now surviving. Tell's death and my diversion into other obligations coincided and I dropped out of the society, out of the responsibilities as a judge, and sold our Idaho properties.

My wife and I went back to school--a three year program in one of the seminaries of The Episcopal Church and were ordained together as Deacon, then Priest in that church by the Diocese of West Virginia. We were the first couple in the Episcopal church to be ordained together, although there had been a number of husband-wife ministries established before ours. They all had been ordained separately, however.

For several years we worked in the heart of the Appalachin coal fields--in the Hatfield-McCoy country, our congregations including a number of descendants from either or in some cases, both, families. Upon leaving there I came to North Carolina, living east of Charlotte for four years. During that time my wife had gone to live with our daughters in middle TN. She suddenly died there in 1994, an event I nearly did not survive. I have described the event as having about a third of my "insides" torn out without an anaesthetic. After several more months in service to the NC diocese (Raleigh-Charlotte part of the state), I left that denomination and became a member of the Roman Catholic Church with the intention of seeking the priesthood there. The Charlotte Diocese's bishop assigned me to a parish near Asheville in Arden, NC, where I served for three and a half years as Pastoral Associate.

My health began to fail for reasons that were not recognized at the time, and I retired, then married one of the parishioners, a lovely, vigorous woman who had twice been widowed. Her family were wonderful people, and she and I married in October of 1998. Once again I had access to soil in which I could grow irises. With the help of Keith Keppel, an old friend, I started out with a dozen new or recent varieties, and made my first crosses in the new entry into AIS and the iris world in 1999.

Among them was a cross of Swingtown X Romantic Evening. When I told Keppel I had seeds from this cross he expressed no small excitement about its potential. His anticipation proved true, the resulting seedlings including an astonishingly beautiful Royal to Plum purple of a lighter tone than the saturated hue that is now registered as POWER WOMAN--the name has a story behind it I will eventually share. A sister seedling was going to be named also, but I discovered it blooms so heavily from the increase following the blooming of the central fan that the variety would never be able to be grown commercially. Net, saleable increase accumulated too slowly.

Both these seedlings have proved to be marvelous parents. Below is a somewhat biased photo of one of the seedlings from Power Woman crossed with Keppel's FOGBOUND.

The past three years I have had a cancer of the esophagus discovered, then removed, along with my esophagus. I was a patient, and not a gardener much of the three year period, but the grounds have been maintained to a minimal degree from help from one of my daughters from TN, and from a good friend here in western NC. I am now reconstructed with a drastic rearrangement of my internal plumbing, and I am able again to begin to care for my own garden.

Keith Keppel and Barry Blyth have been wonderfully helpful, with Blyth making a number of crosses for me in Keppel's garden. I hope to bloom some fabulous things this coming spring, but many of the seedlings have died and others have been slow to grow due to the outrageous weather we have had the past two years with double the normal rainfall--totalling around eight inches per month during the growing season, then being pounded with rain this past summer with the three hurricanes that came on-shore from the Gulf. Flooding in low areas near here was tragic, but our part of the county merely tried to wash away. I have irises with their roots exposed and have not been able to repair the damage fully even yet.

Such is life--and you have a description of some of the high--and low--points of mine. I will summarize and say one thing--I owe my survival these past three years to a massive offering of prayer on my behalf, a happening for which I am deeply grateful.

The photo below is of seedling # R 19-2 from Power Woman X Fogbound. It will amost certainly be named and introduced, possibly four or five years from now after some thorough testing.

Neil Mogensen

Thumbnail by nmogens
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Neil,

It's wonderful to see you here! I wasn't sure you'd be up to taking on yet another iris forum, but your presence here will certainly amplify the knowledge base by unimaginable values. Each time you share your personal history, I learn a bit more about you.

Your new seedling is perfectly beautiful. All those ruffles! You know where to send her if you *really* want to test her mettle. ;-)

We've had decent snowfall so far this winter (accompanied with record lows), so I'm hopeful of another post-winter, high survival rate like I enjoyed with the irises last year. We'll see. I think I'd rather deal with my northern MN climate than the hurricane tailings that kept beating you down last summer. Ugh. It's all a reminder that very few of us have an easy time keeping our favorite plants happy and healthy.

I hope your seedlings bloom beautifully this spring and that there are many nameable in the bunch.

Welcome to DG!

Laurie

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Neil - I am thrilled to see you here on DG and the Iris Forum. I look forward to your posts and only hope that I can develop my knowledge and experience with Iris through your sharing here on DG.

Welcome!
Brenda

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Neil,

Moi aussi. I often read and reread your emails, hoping to learn more and yet more.

It really is wonderful that you feel you have time to join us.

We have tried Blyth iris here in Manitoba zone 2 without much luck. Am hoping that the wonderful snow cover this winter is keeping them warm so they may bloom this coming season.

Here is my latest bloom, LA Princess Leia from Heather & Bernard. Of course, babied inside here. Have quite a few more that will bloom within the next month.

Again, Welcome.
Ginny

Thumbnail by inanda
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Neil, it is such a pleasure to see you here at DG! (smiles) Welcome, welcome!! You are sure wanted and needed here.

When Terry asked..............both Laurie and I chimed in requesting your presence. You have a wealth of information and knowledge that will surely help to enlighten us all.............. and help us all to grow in the world of iris.

You'll surely be a real blessing here.

~Margie

Your welcome messages overwhelm!

I will try to be careful, incidentally, to mark what I *know* to be true separately from what I *suspect.* That is a tricky distinction, and from your indications, my remarks are taken more seriously than perhaps they deserve.

Among you I recognize some names of people I have come to respect and admire more than you know--and I see new names of others that I hope and expect to get to know.

Growing any kind of iris other than *I. setosa* is a heroic venture in zone 2. I shall be more than interested in what irises survive and thrive in your almost sub-arctic, most challenging climate, Ginny.

That LA from "Oz" is a beautiful one. Heather and Bernard appear to be on the cutting edge of quality for the LA's. I am so very tempted to branch out to include some--and already overflow my limited space! I'm to the point of having to discard something to add another....Oh for a piece of land just a WEE bit larger......

Neil

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

A very warm welcome from Wisc. Your knowledge is awesome! I learned many things just reading what you had posted.
Will be looking forward to your addt. postings of iris or seedlings of iris.

Winter here has been mostly bare with very cold temps forcing the frost very deep. Wonder how many plants I will have to replace.
although they are promising us 10" today. We'll see what mother nature has in store for us.
I will include you in my prayers for continued good health.

Maxine

Thank you, Maxine.

What general part of WI are you in?

With a zone of 4a I assume you are not in the Milwaukee area. We have many family members on my wife's side in that area and visit from time to time. I believe that area is classed as being in the cooler part of zone 5 to the warmer z 4 farther from the lake and from the Illinois border.

Neil

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I am 80 miles South of the Twin Cities and 40 miles SW of Eau Claire, Wisc.

Zone 4a here is what they say. I am pushing zone 5 flowers, some I win, some I don't.

Maxine

Moerkerke_Damme, Belgium(Zone 7b)

Wish you succes with breeding Neil, congratulated for the magnificent seedling :)
John

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

It's so nice to learn someone is nearby that is so knowledgable about iris living so close by. I live in Transylvania County, at the western end near Lake Toxaway.
I have a question for you. What do you think about all the surge in breeding re-bloomers? I have some problems with them because of the cool temperatures here (I am about 1,000 feet higher than Arden) and some shade. But I found out about Nicholl's ( www.nichollsirisgardens.com ) and they have marked several that bloom in their zone 6 gardens. I even ventured to surmise that re-bloomers might one day outpace the regular TBs. What do you think?

I have been slow in answering your question, woodspirit. I've been dealing with one of the side issues from my internal rearrangements that recurs from time to time. The bouts leave me exhausted and curled up keeping warm.

We got down to 8.6 degrees here night before last--rather chilly for this part of the "South," I suspect you were even colder in Transilvania County and up in elevation.

As to rebloomers, the most common criticism of iris I hear is that they bloom for such a short time.
My own experience is that once the dwarfs start in the season rolls on with great intensity. Some TB's and beardless sorts stretch the season on until I am ready to drop from the work involved.

The season involves much work in evaluating seedlings and discarding many, plus deciding what crosses to make. Quite frequently the ones I planned can't be made for any one of several reasons.

Then I have to decide whether and how much of some of the older, well loved varieties I can justify continuing to take up space. I have a very limited amount of it

Ah, but when IMMORTALITY kicks in and starts putting up summer and fall bloomstalks in rapid succession I love the consternation of the casual visitor. "Irises are'nt supposed to bloom THIS part of the year!"

If one variety in a prominant space can elicit comments of this kind, what would a whole garden with bloom off and on the entire frost-free season be like? Astounding, I think.

Yes, I do think it is the way of the future--but I don't know how I could survive months and months of bloom. I just barely survive the one--and love every minute of it

Neil Mogensen.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dear Neil, You may be a newcomer here - but I think that you outdistance us all in the iris world. I have been a long time gardener, but have only come to Iris craziness in the past few years.

I too have health problems and it's wonderful to share and be taught here from my house. I will be sure to follow your threads.

And once again, your seedling is breathtaking. It must be so satisfying to have this happen.

Welcome

Corte Madera, CA

hello, neil! welcome to dave's garden from not so sunny northern california =).

my name is annapet, i am a novice gardener, and i have more questions than plants right now.

i hope to see you around in the garden.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Neil, welcome to our garden!

Did I read that you have grown many historics in the past. Did you keep any pictures? Historics are a passion for me. I travel the small towns around here looking for that un-appreciated bloom. I'm always looking for more color photos of those bred from the 1929 to the 1950s.

Dear Wandasflowers,

I only wish I did have photos. When I grew them many of the historics weren't "historics," they were current market items.

I was exceedingly fortunate to get to know one of the great Intermountain West pioneers of irises, Mary Tharp, while still in my early teens. Over the years she gave me starts of many very early irises, which I grew and got to know first hand. Many of them I would recognize, many not, as precise memory does fade over the decades.

There are a number of escapees and abandoned irises around here as well, and from time to time spot an old loved and previously grown friend, but many I do not recognize.

When I dig back into pedigrees of current and new irises, I have to go back many generations before I run into ancestries that were familiar irises. I took a long--twenty years or so--break from iris growing and breeding due to my involvement in the life of the Church--an activity and involvement that did not allow concurrent growing of irises.

Now, however, I am retired, and yes, I do have my hand in the history and preservation efforts with irises. I joined HIPS (the Historical Iris Preservation Society) and have written articles for HIPS' publication, *ROOTS.*

There was a time when there was a "Teens and Twenties" Robin that circulated among a group all about the same age, just getting started in the iris world. It included Steve Moldovan, now out of the iris involvement but up to the top of his hairline in Daylilies and Hostas, Joe Ghio, Keith Keppel, Phil Edinger, the late Larry Harder, and the somewhat older than the rest of us, Glenn Corlew. Everyone of those have risen right to the top of the iris world.

It was my very great privilege to participate in that group for a few years. I learned a great deal, I might add.

Since my retirement, and my re-entry into the growing of irises, many of those long treasured friendships have been renewed, a matter which I value greatly.

Partly due to the long break away from irises, it seems like only yesterday I was growing and loving those old, lovely historics. I'm glad to know that others still see them as worthy of space in their gardens.

Neil Mogensen

Historics are are a treasured part of my garden. Some I have were brought from my Grandma's garden that I walked as a child . Others are from more recent friends. They mix well with the newer beauties & continue hold my interest.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Do you got ID from the one above Wanda? i mean the one you just posted.

Anne Newhard.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

She really is pretty Wanda.
Maybe a chance that I have one from the boxes of iris' you sent me from Grandma's garden ?
I can't wait until I see them Bloom this year.

This warm spell is making me giddy with eagerness to go play in the dirt .. LOL

Thanks dear

Very possibly scooterbug-- I dug alot of duplicate clumps last year to make room for new clumps. I think a new row or two will be needed this year for my iris & daylilies coming. I think this bed could widen pretty easily....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Neil and welcome! There are lots of us that have such a love for the Historics. Wanda ain't the only one in love with them. : ) How can a person not love such beauty. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wish it was spring.

Take care of yourself always first, we will be here when you can get to us.

Here's another fun image--also more complimentary of the flower than life and sunlight. Digital cameras do lie! So do film ones. Lighting, the programming of the color balance in the cameras and so many other factors can cause a color to stray.

This one isn't really all this red--it is a somewhat dusky, slightly violet-toned red, but is a lovely flower, and bloomed border height last year. There are some siblings not yet flowered, so I can hope for a taller version. It is # R 24-5, a half-sister to the one I posted with the bio, from Rogue X Power Woman.

Rogue is a slightly brick-toned red with a tangerine-red beard from Joe Ghio. It does have a tendency to blow over in the wind, the stalk bending, rather than falling from the base. One of the seedlings similar to this one pictured was very similar, but had the same fault.

Don Spoon from Winterberry Gardens in Virginia--who is very knowledgeable--assured me that this is a simple one-gene dominant, so not to worry about it being a chronic problem in the seedlings. This baby has promise as a breeder, I think. That beard, by the way, isn't tangerine. It will breed red beards, judging from the parentage.

Neil Mogensen

Thumbnail by nmogens
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Neil very pretty, it looks like red velvet!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Welcome to Dave's enjoyed your posting .what a thrill to work with Keith and Barry just attending there judges schools was wonderfully but to get be with hybridizing would be a thrill .Been with Paul Black and Alan Enmsmiser when they were giving the bees a run for there money . You can learn so much from others

Those falls on the "red" bitone seedling do look velvety, but actually have something else going on. ROMANTIC EVENING, a grandparent, has something odd about its fall texture that comes off in the seedlings as a black sheen that appears and disappears depending on the angle of view.

The velvet look in irises is due to a rather long protrusion upward of the surface cells of the fall, rather like Terry Cloth, but very fine textured. Velvet fabric has the same sort of thing, so it is not surprising that some irises have a velvet look.

Some conversations back and forth with a plant breeder and biologist in the midwest who is fairly new to irises, and with Chuck Chapman in Ontario, Canada, have suggested that the shapes of the cells on the surface of the fall in this case are a different shape than velvet, and are such that a tight microscopic knot of intense anthocyanin (violet) color is caught as if in a lens. The knot is referred to as an AVI , the A is "anthocyanin," the V is "vacuolar" and the "I" is "inclusion"), which Chapman calls an AE--for "anthocyanin enhancement." This is the same thing that makes purple irises look really black. The probable source of the genetics behind this trait is *Iris aphylla,* which is in the remote ancestry of ROMANTIC EVENING many times.

"Vacuolar," by the way, for anyone who is curious and not already familiar with the term, refers to the main central area of a cell that looks empty under ordinary light. It is full of a rich mix of water-soluble chemicals, and is where the blue-violet color of irises is present. The word resembles "vacuum" because it was thought to be more or less empty. As it turns out, it is just transparent, not empty at all. It is a very busy area with lots of structure and movement going on. The AVI's are only one of many of the possible things the vacuole can contain.

I find the effect in the Romantic Evening descendants fascinating. This one has the characteristic in the fall. ROGUE, the mama of this seedling, has some of the same ancestry as Romantic Evening, which may contribute to the look.

The other thing about this seedling is the light tone in places around the upper edge of the standards. This was not so evident in life as it is in the photo, but I think what is going on is that this has the same genetic makeup as KEVIN'S THEME, where the dominant amoena gene is present only once, and with it, pigments that are not reduced to white. The result is a zone of lighter color in the standards as a whole, OR, as a zone in the upper ends of the standards. I think the effect, all added together is rather charming.

Neil Mogensen

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello, Neil, pleased to meet you. Starr

Just listening and learning....

Me Three

Thumbnail by scooterbug

My wife is highly allergic to cats, otherwise I'd have two or three working with me in the garden.

On the farm we always kept cats as "farm workers," as they were wonderful in helping control mice. Here, I am astounded at the damage moles do to lawns--and to flower beds. Then, winter a year ago, voles ate one of my JI's--completely--and badly damaged two other clumps of JI's. I hear they will do this to Siberians as well, but fortunately, they have not, so far, attacked them.

One hosta has disappeared as well, eaten by voles.

I miss my daughter's siamese, who would often be with me in the garden years ago, carefully watching everything I did, the butterflies, and the songbirds, who kept a wary eye. She and I kept each other company, and she was my companion when Abby was away at school.

Now, Abby has kids, cats, pet mice, a couple pet rats (!) and a husband--and grows irises too. She's a member of the AIS, and I made sure she had a lot of resources to learn all she could about the genus.

Neil Mogensen

Neil, Have you ever tried beneficial nematodes to rid your yard of voles? No ,I'm not nutz ...... (i keep telling my self)

I've been told that voles & moles eat grubs, if you get rid of the grubs the voles will disappear. Just found out that it gets rid of fleas too.

This is the best source for the nematodes I have found and NO s&h charges either.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/beneficial-nematodes.html

Thank you, Scooterbug, for the suggestion of nematodes and the link to "planetnatural."

I was aware that getting rid of the grubs was the key to getting out from under the both beneficial and destructive digging by the moles. I intend to try Imidicloprid, aka "Merit" and "Bayer Advanced..."-something, I forget just what. I'd have to check the labels for the contents of the product. It will kill iris borer, grubs and other things--working systemically in the iris and other plants for several months after an application.

I would rather use a biological, non-chemical method, and I understand from a number of sources that clean sanitation in the iris is key number one.

My problem is--I'm not getting the clean-up done. I have three years of neglect due to illness I have to correct, and this is slow going.

Our periodic waves of winter weather returning haven't helped either--we had snow yesterday. Today it is spring again. We're on a meteorological roller coaster that doesn't seem to end.

I will check the hyperlink out. Thank you!

Neil Mogensen

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Hey Neil, will swap our weather for yours! Its been snowing here since 5:30 am this morning and already 8" is on the ground with no let up until Sat. noon. HOPEFULLY

My flower beds are covered again. I did wish to get them cleaned up while my back is not bothering me so much.

Maxine

My iris are uncovered--barely. I need to go out & clean up last years' growth as well as push the mulch back. Still cool 40s, so I have time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.