Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: A brief bio of Neil Mogensen, new to this forum, 1 by nmogens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nmogens

In reply to: A brief bio of Neil Mogensen, new to this forum

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A brief bio of Neil Mogensen, new to this forum
nmogens wrote:
Here's another fun image--also more complimentary of the flower than life and sunlight. Digital cameras do lie! So do film ones. Lighting, the programming of the color balance in the cameras and so many other factors can cause a color to stray.

This one isn't really all this red--it is a somewhat dusky, slightly violet-toned red, but is a lovely flower, and bloomed border height last year. There are some siblings not yet flowered, so I can hope for a taller version. It is # R 24-5, a half-sister to the one I posted with the bio, from Rogue X Power Woman.

Rogue is a slightly brick-toned red with a tangerine-red beard from Joe Ghio. It does have a tendency to blow over in the wind, the stalk bending, rather than falling from the base. One of the seedlings similar to this one pictured was very similar, but had the same fault.

Don Spoon from Winterberry Gardens in Virginia--who is very knowledgeable--assured me that this is a simple one-gene dominant, so not to worry about it being a chronic problem in the seedlings. This baby has promise as a breeder, I think. That beard, by the way, isn't tangerine. It will breed red beards, judging from the parentage.

Neil Mogensen