Winter Sowing Qs

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

When I winter sow in pots, do I then need to put the pots inside of a plastic bag? Or just leave the pots out to the element?

With small seed, do I even need to sterilize my medium or will the fresh breeze prevent the dampening off?

Will spraying the tops of the pots and soaking through to a depth of 1" with hydrogen peroxide solution prevent dampening off?

That's all my questions!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for asking! I've been reading the threads about winter sowing but don't even know enough about it to ask the questions.

Michele

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Capt and Mickgene-

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002052837003371.html

--have a look at this page/site about WinterSowing from GW's WS FAQ. Trudi Davidoff, the lady who popularized WS, also has her own WS site, which is quite good, too.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/FAQs.html

Using lids helps protect the seeds from too much weather, birds and animals, but you have to remember to poke holes in the lids to allow for transpiration.

Generally wintersowers don't worry about Dampening Off, either.

I suggest you skim thru all the FAQ if you are new to WS. It really helped me a lot, although I am no expert at all. That's for sure. Have a great day. t.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2005 8:07 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Good link. Thanks a bunch.
Michele

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Read that before but I couldn't remember the answer to those Qs. Thanks Tabasco, you cleared em all up!

Isn't WS the greatest?!

Indianapolis, IN

Capt:

If you are like many others, you will find wintersowing addictive. You can wintersow most perennials that are hardy in your zone. Many annuals will also wintersow well.

I wintersow in pots (among other things) and I put the pots in clear rubbermaid/stearlite tubs in which I have made several holes in the tops and bottoms.

You will find that you have great germination since you dont' have to worry about providing appropriate light, temperature variations, dampening off, washing away, or snacking critters. As things warm up, just make sure that you keep the pots moist.

Good luck!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Keeping them moist shouldn't be a problem, springs here are quite rainy. I'm going to do another batch of seeds really soon. I know I've got well over 30 different things out already. Can't wait!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

CaptM you got addicted quick! t.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. I know. It's easy when nature does almost all the work for you! Perfect for some one lazy like me.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Just found this thread as we now have our own forum for wintersowing!!! This is my first year at this and I am so excited. I can't help but checking the guys I've sown so far!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.