For those who don't winter sow...

(Zone 7a)

I have heard winter sowing is great. For some reason, I just don't propagate new seeds this way. I guess I like to see them germinate and study their growth habit...LOL I use vermiculite to germinate everything. Although there are times I use seed starting mix (soil). Vermiculite has absolutely no nutritional value. Therefore after the seeds germinate you have to use miracle grow to water them. I thought I would share a few of my tips :-D

Helpful Growing Tips: Annual flowers and vine seeds will usually germinate without any cold treatment. Hard coated seeds can benefit from being nicked and soaked in water before sowing. For example; Morning Glory seeds germinate faster when soaked before sowing. Seeds that benefit from cold treatment are usually Cold Hardy Perennials. They can be winter sown in the ground or prepared indoors. For preparing indoors, soak the seed for 24 hours. Then place the seeds in a ziplock bag in the freezer (very hardy plants), refrigerator (semi-hardy plants) until ready to sow. Therefore they will already be cold stratified and ready for sowing indoors. Always use good seed starting soil when trying to start new seeds. Purchased seed starting soil has the adequate growing nutrients for starting seedlings. Viola seeds benefit from darkness when germinating, others may need light and high warmth. Therefore do not cover the seeds with soil. Usually very tiny seeds can be sown right on the soil surface for germination. Remember to keep all seed starting moist until they germinate.

Begonia seeds litterally look like dust...I surface sow all small seeds. When they are very very tiny...like Mimulus Ringens, Campanula...etc. I use vermiculite in a small dixie cup. I actually perfer vermiculite because it doesn't hold odor, bugs and mold (just my opinion). I usually let them get so big they push the others out the way. Then I transplant the ones I want and pitch the rest. Seedlings usually can litterally be pulled out of vermiculite without damaging roots. But don't try this unless you're use to doing it...LOL Here's the lady I buy mine from, I'm sure others have it but I'm so use to buying from her http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20546&item=4340005624&rd=1

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kim, helpful advice to us new people that are starting with seed sowing.

I both fall and winter sowed some seeds that I had alot of . (foxglove) I still have some left over to start in the house as well. My reasoning is to see what works best for me.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Kim, Wondering here do you add water to your Vermiculite. Was reading on starting palm seeds and they suggested (1) pint vermiculite and (2) tablespoons water. I was wondering if thats enough water. I did grow some seeds last year from this but failed to get them out in time so only saved a few. Gonna try and be more watchful this year.
Thanks, Carolyn

(Zone 7a)

Hi Carolyn, Not sure on palms. But if they are anything like Adenium...that would be about right. Adenium need the least amount of water to germinate. They don't like to be moist at all. Try a few seeds with more water..I usually add hot water to my vermiculite and drain out any excess. As it's cooling pop the seeds in...They really seem to like it...LOL I'll let you know on the Palms...I have a friend that germinates many of them.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks kim Have different ones that where given to me and would like to get them going. I think on this one was for the date palm but he said works on all palms and he also said to soak 24 hours and change water 3 times. Any other info would be helpful.
Carolyn

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kim, appreciate your info.

(Zone 7a)

Well Here's some seeds started today in vermiculite..I'll post when the pic when they sprout (if) LOL

1. Purple Bell Vine
2. Variegated Abutilon
3. Tartan Coleus
4. Anagallis

Thumbnail by Kim_M
(Zone 7a)

I use Plastic Cake holders to lock in humidity...LOL

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thank you Kim!

(Zone 7a)

The little cups come from fruit and jello! LOL LOL I make the kids save them after they eat the apple sauce or fruit..he he he he

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great info, Kim.
:) Donna

(Zone 7a)

Just came from the kitchen...I had to satisfy my winter itch. Someone sent me Rose cutting and Xylosma :-D Lets see if they root in this vermiculite...

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Sigh......

(Zone 7a)

Awwwww what's the sigh for??? LOL LOL

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Cuttings.....lol!
:) Donna

(Zone 7a)

ha ha ha ha LMBO!!!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

hehe

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks a lot Kim.
Have you ever grown desert rose or Pachypodium?
I need help.What medium should I start them in?Ect,ect.
Jody

(Zone 7a)

Yes...desert rose. They need barely moist, good seed starting soil or vermiculite. Barely cover them. Provide light and warmth.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Dr. Kim (indoor sowing guru),

I just noticed tonight that the Cleome seeds I ordered require 12 weeks to flower! Should I start them indoors in peat pots and then move them out after the last frost (mid-May)? How soon before the last frost should I start them? I guess I should also let you know that I don't have grow lights, LOL :) I'm hoping that a reasonably sunny window will work (?).

Thanks, doc :)
Jacci

(Zone 7a)

Ohh Jacci, I wouldn't worry much about the Cleome seeds. Every last one of them will germinate...LOL. You can just start them outdoors when the weather warms. I've never started them indoors. But that's just me. In Spring I just sprinkle them where I want them. The grow pretty fast! Hope this helps :-D

Seed Doctor

he he he he

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Kim,
I have two desert roses are coming up,I need to know what soil to move them into.Do I use a cactus/succulent mix?Thanks,Jody

(Zone 7a)

Actually my desert roses are in regular seed starting soil. They seem to be very happy :-D Also once established they enjoy having some water..I even mist them from time to time.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Kim, I've just discovered the most wonderful teeny tiny greenhouse. YoCrunch yogurt containers. They have a clear dome lid that the crunchies were housed in. I usually buy the cheaper yogurt, but when I saw these yogurt containers in the grocery store, I decided to get those instead. The few cents extra is well worth it.
Sherri

(Zone 7a)

That's an awesome idea! I know just what yogurt you're talking about. I guess I'll have to go get me some yogurt...he he he

(Zone 7a)

Baibies nesting under the dome :-D

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I like yogurt,I'll have to buy some of that myself,great idea.Jody

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your reply, Kim :) You're so sweet to put up with such a newbie. BTW, thanks for the Morning Glories :) They came today. Now if I only knew what to do with them...LOL!

I didn't want to completely hijack your thread, so I posted a plea for help in a separate thread in this forum :)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/488988/

Thanks again!!!
Jacci

edited to add link

This message was edited Mar 3, 2005 11:48 PM

(Zone 7a)

Ohhh Jacci! Those MG's are a cinch...just soak them overnight an whalaaa! They'll germinate in no time :-D

(Zone 7a)

10:09 AM
I started some Tartan Coleus... here they are today..Still puny! LOl LOL

Thumbnail by Kim_M

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.