Coleus "Addicts" part 3

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Sidney...Your wish is my command. hehehehe (cackle, cackle, cackle)
;-)

Edited to move things around a little bit and to add the link to our Part 2 where our lists and pics are.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/476881/

I'm going to try to transfer links for the pictures of each of coleus varieties in this post a little later. I think having links to the pictures will make our cross-referencing a bit easier.

Brenda...if you'd copy over the last list you made in the old thread, that would help keep us up to date on the sharing part of our discussion, too. (Thanks...you're a sweetie!)

~julie~
P.S. I *am* going to start a few of my coleus seeds today...just can't take it any longer!

This message was edited Jan 16, 2005 10:40 AM

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Saving a spot for later additions in this post...

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Saving a spot for Brenda's list HERE...(When she posts it I'll copy it to the top of the thread so it's easier to find.)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Here ya go Julie.......

Lincolnitess
Buttercream - cutting to Langbr
Jack of Diamonds
Klondike
Mariposa
Meadering Linda.
ElBrighto
Sedona
Strawberry Drop
Smoltering
Perilla Magilla

Langbr
Fire Dragon or Kona Red
Fishnet Stockings
Ringleader
Trailing Salamander - cutting to Julie
Cuttings to TARodgers for: Texas Parking Lot

Julie88
~ Will purchase new for 2005 ~
http://www.singingspringsnursery.com/page2.html#769
- Aurora
- Japanese Giant
- Mariposa
- Orange King
- Red Trailing Queen
----------------------------------------
~ Growing from seeds ~
(I'll gladly share the plants ~for postage or trade~ with you all IF they grow.)
- Tartan
- Copper Queen
- Scarlet II (2)
- Limelight
- Palisandra
- Black Dragon
- Carefree Mix (Looks to have some nice 'Oak-leaf' type foliage)
- Rainbow Mix (This one is from Seed Savers Exchange)

My Current Sharing List

Cuttings for langbr: Defiance, Black Dragon
Cuttings for Lincolnitess: Defiance
Cuttings for Oceangirl: Limelight, Aurora

**Any Extra Plants/cuttings (Assorted) to:
chefnl (Nancy Lee)

Oceangirl
Alabama Sunset
Atlas
Buttermint- cuttings to langbr
Copper Glow
Glennis
Sedona

Cuttings I would like (other than already posted) :
Butter Cream
Kona Red
Solar Shadow
Raspberry Truffle

TARodgers
Diablo
Calligraphy
Haines
Raspberry Truffle
Saturn or Songbird, which ever no one has.

cbrandenburg
Felix
Red Ruffles
Screaming Raspberry
Solar Shadow
Cuttings for Julie: super ducks foot, kiwi fern (is that the frilly one you lost, I have several)
Cuttings for Ted: magenta frills, stained glass copper works, saturn, kiwi fern, super ducks foot, if I can get some cuttings going
Cuttings for oceangirl: stained glass copper works, rustic orange
Cuttings for langbr: saturn
Cuttings for lincolnitess: kiwi fern

sugarweed
Alabama Sunset
Defiance
Eleanor
Religious Radish
Plum Frost
Kong, Painted Nettle

Handhelpers
Black Magic
Buttermint
Aurora

This message was edited Jan 22, 2005 1:31 AM

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Brenda...SUPER! You got here nice and early. That puts everything right up at the top where we can see *much* easier than down in the discussion. Thank you SO much!

~julie~

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you, Thank you very much.
My list:
Alabama Sunset
Defiance
Eleanor
Religious Radish
Plum Frost
Kong, Painted Nettle

I will edit to add later.

Sidney

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Got you added to the master list, Sydney. I think Julie has Defiance???

Thanks Brynda, These are the ones I have, maybe I shouldn't be on your list. lol. I will be glad to share if any hang-in until spring.
You know I'm not near as organized and set-up as you are and I'd like to be. Next year I may have a 30 x 10 sun porch to "play" in. I'm also seeding a package of "Burpee's select COLEUS Wizard mix" Since I buy at HD and Wally's, They all come with an generic tag anyhow. That does agrivate me, but with the world at my finger tips, it's not too bad.
I sent Hanna1 (Annie) a Burpees pkg too, so she could play also. Sidney

This message was edited Jan 16, 2005 2:05 PM

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Yep! I've got Defiance...Don't buy it unless you want it early in the season.

~julie~

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Got a good deal on E-bay today. Won on a heat mat for seedlings. Was 28.00 including shipping. I had E-bay anything points on my E-bay card of 21.00, so the mat only cost me 7.00.
I pay my card off monthly so, they have to pay me for using their card. LOL

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Way to go, Ted!! Super deal!
~julie~

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Hi gang!

Coleus is the first houseplant I ever set up in my bedroom as a child, thanks to Mom. It was wonderful, 'cause it told me when it needed watering (if I forgot) and it ALWAYS came back perky and upright, often within minutes!

I've been reading and watching your coleus threads for some time now, and I'm wondering if *MY* freckles plant is the same as what ya'll have been discussing here. I bought a big pot of it last summer on a whim at Lowe's, 'cause the leaves had a cute little twist at the tip, and then shared cuttings with everyone I knew who would appreciate it at the time... :)

http://www.ballfloraplant.com/BFP/bfp_search3.jsp?genus=Coleus&subGenus=Coleus&series=Freckles&category=Annual (click on the "Freckles" word to see a pic of it)

I also found and bought the last Black Dragon coleus there at Lowe's in a pony-pack around the same time, put most of it outdoors and saved a couple for indoors. Though still healthy, it fizzled out a bit in the color contrast in both places, so it's now mostly dark and doesn't show much of the rose-red interior. :(

Have ya'll figured out which coleus need full sun to keep their colors bright, and which ones need more shade or filtered sunlight?

I ask this because I took an unnamed coleus that grew beautifully for me indoors last winter, whacked it a bunch for cuttings, then planted the remains in a mostly shady part of the yard last summer. The plant not only thrived outdoors, but got very bushy and deepened in color... and I was actually gonna compost it after the severe prunings 'cause I didn't think it would make it!

Looking forward to your comments,
Donna

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Donna - welcome to Coleus Anonymous! lol

The link you posted to the Freckles on Ball Floral is NOT the same as I had. Mine is more of a lime-green with orange splotches. Here's a good pic of it (scroll down to Freckles):
http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog_E_K.htm

I don't know what anyone else will say, but my experience was that some of the red varieties I had (Texas Parking Lot in particular) really fade to almost a pink in full sun; while my darker ones like Kiwi Fern. Saturn, and Solar Sunrise seemed to do very well in mostly sun. I had my orangey ones (Rustic Orange and Freckles) in a fairly shaded spot with only maybe a couple of hours of filtered sun. My Black Dragon was in near full shade and held it's color fabulously all season.

I really think sun tolerance is a matter of trial and error. What might take full sun here in Kansas may not take it in Florida or Texas.

Again, welcome to the fold.
Brenda

Brenda, I second those sun theories. I'd say put that coley in the sun this year, maybe just morning sun would be my guess of the best if it's a half day'er as I think some are.
This plant has just got me plumb crazy about it.lol
Do you call your plants by their names?
I went out and had a chat with all my cuttings, they voted to be Moved and covered at night for the next few nights. Kong whimpered a little. lol
Defiance looked a little not so.
Sidney

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Donna...and welcome!

The picture on that site certainly isn't the same plant that has been shared amongst this group. It has a lot more colors. Like Brenda said, our 'Freckles' is two color (and mine is hanging in there pretty wall...thanks Bren and Susan!)

I was wondering the same things about sun/color. You really have to do some trial and error to figure that one out for each individual plant *and* zone. My Defiance lost it's green margins (they turned yellow) when I placed a couple of plants in hot afternoon sun. My Super Ducksfoot really didn't like any direct sun, the one I call "Batique Fetish" was positively wonderful no matter *where* I put it! But that's just the way my particular plants behaved for me.

Sidney...I can't imagine Kong 'whimpering' at all! :-D Which one do you have? There are some gorgeous Kong varieties out there.

And Brenda...it's bad enough that I have link to the coleus sites 'hardwired' into my Access Database...but you make it REALLY hard NOT to buy more when you make us scroll through those lovelies! :-D

~julie~
P.S. Yes I do call my plants by their names...JoeBob, Bubba, Tootsie...:-D

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the warm welcome and your comments on sunlight! I'll just play around a little more next spring to see what works where... which means I'll need to make more cuttings. Darn. ;)

Strange how two entirely different coleus share the same name, especially since it can be tough to ID them in the first place! As I was flipping through the PlantFiles yesterday, I stumbled upon one called "Pistachio Nightmare"... lol... and wondered if it was named by someone who detested that 'green shtuff' (Watergate Salad) often served at family dinners around Thanksgiving.

Ya'll are a hoot! :D

I have http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/58779/ . It worked me to death pinching off buds 2 - 3 times daily in the fall.
They have so many simular varieties, that I don't think you can ever be certain. There are about 6 I have seen close to my Religious Radish.
This is a photo taken Nov 11th about 4 blocks from my house.
They used a good lime, a good red/ burgandy alternately, they put a row of Alabama Sunset behind those.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

That's a very striking planting combination, sugarweed!

I'm working to try and update my list.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Donna - rather than take more cuttings you could simply pot them up and move them around until you find just the right spot for that particular coleus. Then if you want you can put it in the ground or not.

Julie - what's DG without temptations from our friends?? :-D

Sydney - great layout of that coleus bed. Do you know whether that spot gets full sun? I can imagine in FL that would be some pretty strong sun if it is.

Brenda
I believe it faces a true SW like mine. I have 3 stately live oaks, they don't, so they get fairly full sun.
I'll buzz by there tomorrow and see how it looks now.
My sucess was on the east side of the due south corner. Summer afternoons were a little saggy, but they thrived the rest of the time.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

My spring order update(will have cuttings in fall:)
Alabama Sunset
Atlas
Buttermint- cuttings to langbr
Copper Glow
Glennis
Sedona

Cuttings I would like (other than already posted) :
Butter Cream
Kona Red
Solar Shadow
Raspberry Truffle

Cindy

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi guys.. I just caught up with your coleus thread, I've been looking around for different seeds for awhile now. I ordered these seeds from Parks:

Coleus Wizard Mix
Coleus Kong Scarlet
Coleus Kong Rose
Coleus Black Dragon
Coleus Limelight
Coleus Carefree Mix
Coleus Tartan

When I get them going I will share :)

Kathy

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i'm soooo glad i found this thread! now i've found great sources and great varieties for my wish lists. will post what i order when i'm done!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Did anyone see the 'Rebecca's Garden' show on HGTV (I think it aired) on Monday morning? A very interesting segment on Coleus with a really quick tip on making your own cuttings. The lady whose garden Rebecca was visiting told how she propagated her plants...and it was a little different than most of us do ours.

The first step was to "Take a cutting from the *inside* of the plant" (I'm not sure whether she was just trying to keep the plant neat looking on the outer branches or whether she was telling us that the interior branches rooted more easily) The cutting was only about 4" long.

Next...strip the leaves from the stem leaving only one large set of leaves *plus* the two tiny new leaves that are just barely formed. Now, depending on the size of the newset leaves on the stem (*this* is the part I found interesting!), she actually pinched off ALL the leaves, leaving only the newest at the tip. If the leaves were *very* tiny, she'd leave ONE large leaf for photosynthesis.

Right now, I don't remember whether she rooted her cuttings in water or soil and, because I was so surprised at the number of leaves she removed, I don't remember whether she used rooting hormones or not. ButI have the program 'taped' so I'll watch it again and fill in the details!

This lady had one of the most beautiful coleus collections (AND garden) I've ever seen.

Anyway, once I've watched the program again, I'll take a few cuttings from my plants and take pictures of the method to post here.

~julie~

Dadburnit I quit taping when Erica went.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Julie, that will be helpful. I have some wizard mix started now in flats. I've been scouting around looking at coleus on different sites for awhile. Are all coleus available through seed? or do you have to get cuttings or plants on some?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

S.W. I *nearly* did the same thing. I wasn't terribly impressed with the new show, but it gave me something to take my mind off my DH snoring when I went to bed...so I kept taping. LOL

Kathy...I don't think there are a lot of coleus varieties available in seed form. And now that I've been more aware of growing coleus...I'm beginning to understand why. I've read several places that coleus grown from seed aren't quite as strong as those grown from cuttings. I've also read that coleus grown from seed (our own collected seed...not those we purchase) don't always come true to the parent. Now, I've not tried growing new plants from seed collected from my own plants yet, so I don't know whether that's true or not.

As soon as my DH goes BACK to the basement and stops bugging me for tax papers that I already *gave* him (and he lost! HA! HA! HA!) I'll be able to sit down and watch that episode of Rebecca's Garden. :-D

~julie~

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oceangirl - I think I got your list updated correctly in the 3rd post in the thread.

Kathy & HH: Welcome to the thread!

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

ok - i got my wishlist! here's what i'll be buying this year [so far!]
Black Magic
Buttermint
Aurora

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

First let me echo Brenda's WELCOME to the thread Kathy & HH. I'm not 'with it' here lately. Not sure exactly why. LOL Probably has something to do with *winter!*

I got to watch the progam again, but not until late last night. Unfortunately, there weren't any other details than what I gave above for handling the cuttings. I also tried to take a couple of shots of the stem I was cutting...no luck...man! Today is *not* my day. (...and it *just* started to snow~!)

~julie~

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for updating, Brenda. I'm also starting a few seeds but I'm not very confident (never grown them from seed before) so I don't want to offer any until I'm sure they will make it. Julie, I hope your
day gets better.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Cindy...I took a nap...it got better. :-D
~julie~

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

hee hee
me too, I just woke up again! Guess it's just that kind of day!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I found you guys again....lol. Here is a link to Kartuz's coleus http://www.kartuz.com/f/r/coleus1.jpg
What is the coleus that looks cool in the bottom of the picture????
Is anyone going to the Florida swap in April?? I booked my ticket for it.
:) Donna

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Donna -

Not going to FL. That coleus doesn't look orange enough to be Freckles. Maybe ..... Careless Love or Cranberry Salad? Scroll to them on this page and see what you think.

http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog_A_D.htm

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Or maybe Pineapple Queen or Religious Rutabaga.....again scroll down....
http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog_L_R.htm

Finally...Stormy Weather is another possibility.....
http://www.variationsgreenhouse.com/coleus_catalog_S_Z.htm

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oh sure....tease me again with all these varieties that I can't find here....waaaah, waaahh, waaaah.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ohhhhh.....gosh I forgot you were up North! I'm sorry. *sheepish grin*

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Sure....tease me some more....lol! We had a blizzard last night but did go out today and play.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Donna...does that mean SNOW ANGELS??? YEAH!!!

We got about 12" of that stuff too...and now it's starting to blow around.

Brennie can keep you occupied while you have to be indoors...but we won't make it *too* difficult on you. (I swear, I'm going to have to send some cuttings up to the "C" country with a friend of mine and send them Canadian Post. Just kidding - in case they're are some plant border cops lurking here. LOL)

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.