Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

what catalogs? what items?
i myself WANT:
those black elephant ears
persian shield
stardust sedum
Mt altas daisy
*red dragon fleeceflower
somewhere i saw a whipping butterfly bush!

top choices-
spring hill****
park seeds****
seed select-never ordered
jung quality seeds-never ordered

im sure i will find more WANTS, but these are a few of the major things i want! >:-]

WHAT YA"LL WANT?(southern)WHAT DO YOU GUYZ WANT?(northern)LOL
=] have a great day
dori

I've got all my veggies in from all my trades (specifically, thanks to Brook and JT Sessions). The rest of my veggies are coming from Pinetree, and they haven't gotten here yet.

When pinetree arrives, I'll have all my veggies all taken care of. After that, it's perennials. We're going to be hitting the local nursery this spring and checking out the stuff, but I am specifically looking for Brusmansias!

Dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dave,
i got burgmansias this last fall in a trade-i thought i had gotten tricked. i recieved 6in sticks-like i can make these grow. but they did and they all have leaves and are doing well. Im still amazed. they look nothing like that photo in the forum-they are about as big as one of those flowers. werent they beautiful. I envy all the flowers in the SOUTH!
i will take pics and post -as soon as i figure that one out! =]

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

I just received my seed orders from T&M and Johnny's and I just placed an order with Tom Clothier. I have a bunch of orders to place for tree and shrub seedlings in the spring.
Other than a few tomatoes I usually don't start veggies or common annuals. I can buy a flat of either for $7-$9. But a flat of even common perennials is $25 plus. I just can't justify raising annuals when I can buy them so cheap compared to perennials. Besides I like the uncommon and odd ball perennials.

Hi Dori (and all)
I have placed all my orders from many different sources AND HAVENT SPENT A DIME YET!! Those catologes are worse than credit cards. I have been ordering since the end of summer thru fall thru winter. Wish those darn things would stop coming!! I think I am on the "Sucker List" from Springhill and Brecks as I receive something from them at least twice a week. I dont even want to think about how much money I owe come Spring.
I am doing a major gardening renovation this year and need so many but I just cant say NO!
Perhaps we could start a support group for this kind of addiction?

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

Hello All,in our operation we mainly do cut flowers for bunch sales.Almost everything has been ordered from Johnnys.We tried Parks,Harris,Vessys and Burpee but had our best results from Johnnys.This will be our second year in cuts but the berries and bakery is still our strongpoint.Can't believe all the seed catalogs I've received, over 20 so far.Boggles the mind

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Johnnyselect Seeds is a good place to order the larger packets.
I also ordered from Harris for the first time.
I ordered from Pinetree again this year.
I also ordered from Select seeds.
I want to order from the Vermont Bean Catalog because they are the only ones who have the double morning glory from Japan. I had one plant in blue last year and didn't get any seeds from it.
It is a pretty flower and unique for a morning glory.
Now I just have to get the order off to them. I have ordered and received the rest already.
How is the Thompson and Morgan for germination? Someone said they were not that great, so I didn't order from them. They are rather steep compared to pi=rices of other places. But the catalog is to die for with all the pictures and advice.
WIndy

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

Shoot I've ordered so much stuff I can't remember what it is. Iknow I have 96 plants coming from graceful gardens. Lobellia, Delphiniums, Shasta Daisy, coneflowers, Morning Glories, Lavendar, Wite coneflowers, Babys Breath something else. have Forth of July roses coming from Spring Hill. Some seeds from Burpees. Wildflower mix and Popy mix from Wildflower Farms. And I guess I will be surprised because I just forget. Someone stop me before Mastercard puts out a HIT on me! Dennis

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Most of my ordering began last October and I am finishing up now . JL HUDSON was the sulpplier for harder to locate items but most of my items are from local seedlings / cuttings or world wide traded seeds .

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

I prefer ordering from Pine Tree... they have nice sized packets, and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get a package of seeds. They are great for the smaller gardener.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

1. Countless seeds from Stokes and Parks have arrived, and some are already started.

2. Plants from Bluestone Perennials http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/ set to arrive in late April/early May.

3. Caladiums from Caladium World http://www.caladium.com/index.htm set to arrive late April.

4. Twenty agapanthus corms arrived last week from a very generous gardener in California. Potted up and tucked away in our "climate controlled" crawlspace until the weather gets reliably warm.

5. Still debating on my order for clethra, daphne and schizophragma integrifolium 'Roseum' (a climbing hydrangea)...do I order from Windrose http://www.windrosenursery.com/ or wait and see what's available locally? Decisions, decisions.

6. Other seeds/plants in trade status now.....

C'mon, Spring!!!!!!!

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Just got my Wayside Gardens order 4 bareroot roses.Awsome root stock! The box was 4 feet long. Most I have received mail order are at least 1/2 that size. Loves Promise, (David Austin)Dainty Bess(single pink w/maroon center), Leonida's(Copper colored)The Prince(David Austin) My self and another gardener from Florida are ordering 5 packets of Penstemon each from http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com
and will trade 1/2 a packet back to each other. And then we will have 10 new varieties each. You can check out Wayside Gardens at http://www.waysidegardens.com.
And David Austin Roses at http://www.davidaustin.com
It cracks me up everytime I look at the pictures of these english gentleman that developed english roses with hybrids. They look SO ENGLISH . Very Proper you know.I am in love with their roses .My vase was full of Abraham D'Arby at Christmas time. And the catalogue is a keeper.

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm going to order from the Heirloom Seeds company this time. They're at: http://www.gardenersnet.com/Mall/seeds/heirloom.htm if you wanna chek them out. I've never tried them before, but their prices seem pretty good to me, and they're all heirlooms. So, what the hey.
Here's what I'm ordering:
Rosemary- 25 seeds for $1.25
Broccoli-Calabrese- 200 seeds for $1.25
Cabbage-Early Jersey Wakefield- 200 seeds for $1.15
Cauliflower-Early Snowball- 200 seeds for $1.25
Kohlrabi-Early White Vienna- 200 seeds for $1.15
Green Bell Pepper-King of the North- 25 seeds for $1.50
Sweet Banana Pepper-Sweet Banana- 25 seeds for $1.50
Jalapeno Pepper-Jalapeno- 25 seeds for $1.50
Cucumber-National Pickling- 60 seeds for $1.15
Tomato-Amish Paste- 20 seeds for $1.50
Cherry Tomato-Tiny Tim- 20 seeds for $1.50
Cherry Tomato-Besser- 20 seeds for $1.50
Tomato-Rutgers- 25 seeds for $1.50
Tomato-Red Brandywine- 20 seeds for $1.50
The rest of my seeds are from trades, so I'm going to be planting awhile thanks to so many of you too!!! :-)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Aunty B,

If you're planning on saving seeds from these, watch those peppers. Peppers will cross-breed if you look at them cockeyed. So you have to isolate them, either by distance or by caging.

Brassicas are biennials, did you know. So, to save seed from the cabbage, broccoli, kolrabi and cauliflower you have to save the entire plant (head and all) in a cold celler or similar conditions, and plant it the following spring. However, if you do that with all three, they will cross unless you isolate them.

There is a way to propogate brassica's vegatatively, but it still takes a lot of storage space. In that case, however, you at least get to eat the veggies. This does not apply to the kohlrabi, however, because of the way it grows.

The Calabrese is a sprouting broccoli. This means that once you harvest the main head, you will get almost unlimited smaller side shoots until frost kills the plant. Those side-shoots are just about right for a single serving.

Heirloom Seeds, by the way, is a pretty good company. I would recommend, too, that you subscribe to their on-line newsletter. You can learn a whole bunch from it.

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Brook! I just finished writing out my veggie garden plans yesterday, and I had planned to plant all my peppers together!!! I wouldn't have known not to do that if you hadn't mentioned it. Whew! Here's a couple more questions for ya tho, if ya don't mind:
How much distance do the peppers need from each other?
Does the kohlrabi flower to give seeds?
Someone (can't remember who) told me that cabbage will open up like a rose if I leave it long enough, then a shoot comes up from the center with seeds on it. Is that not right?
If I save the entire plant for the broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, & Kohlrabi, would I plant them in pots to keep them alive or what? Then when planted in the spring, would it set seed right away or would I have to wait until fall for seed from it? So much to learn about heirlooms! Eeek!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.