Lemon/Lime Trees

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

Planted Lemon and Limes seeds obtained from the Groc Store about 5 yrs ago, so I don't know the varieties. They are planted in 25 gal pots and are about 4 ft high not including the pot. Both are healthy and green and growing. They are outside year round expect when it drops below freezing (moved into the garage with a heater) until it warms back up when the get rolled back outside. Problem is they have never bloomed or produced.
Am I spinning my wheels or will they ever bloom and produce.fruit. Anyone have any info would be appreciated.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, strangebob--

In Florida the orange trees need to be on grafted root stock. A great tasting fruit is grafted onto rootstock that is resistant to certain root rots, etc. Citrus from seeds from a grocery store fruit is a gamble. Even if it does fruit it may not be the taste you experienced from the grocery-store fruit. Have planted papaya seeds from a grocery store fruit that fruited ok...but that's a different situation. Even the mango I planted from my mango tree seed in 2004 will probably not be true to the parent mango. Did a little research (AFTER I planted it) and found out that it may take 7 years to fruit -- if it does fruit -- and that it is a gamble. The mango seedling is about 9 inches tall and I'm not sure I want to devote 7 years to find out. Will you be happy to have a nice green citrus tree if it doesn't fruit for you? Also citrus has fertilization needs that may be preventing the blossoming. But 5 years isn't too long to wait when you started from seed! In the meantime enjoy your beautiful green trees : )

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks soozer.
This is the 6 th yr coming up. If they don't at least flower, I think I have to order some from a Nursery that will produce fruit.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

I lived in Minnesota before coming to Florida. I loved picking apples up there, but coming to Florida and picking oranges, grapefruit, lemons, tangelos and tangerines (all in our first Florida yard) was the Best. Lemon jelly was tasty, too. I now have three orange trees at home and two at the office. Hint: combining the juice from two varieties (or more!) makes the most flavorful orange juice. Nothing bottled or canned will ever measure up again...Have fun growing your oranges! : > )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.