Dwarf Mondo Grass seeds

Gilbert, SC

HI ALL Happy New Year!

I have about 15 different beds in various sizes that I am planning to be digging into this spring (we just purchased this home in November) and I was thinking about using Dwarf Mondo grass as edging around several beds (I used it at our old place with some raised beds and it really looked nice & the beds looked natural, neat & clean plus it kept the mulch in!) does anyone know if it can be started from seed? I REALLY will be needing a lot of it & if I have to buy it per flat it's gonna be pricey plus planting will be easier if I can sew them myself from the beginning.

I did stumble on a Black Mondo grass in my searching but the information was vague does anyone know anything about it? If anyone has any other suggestions for edging with other plants that grow similarly to the dwarf Mondo let me know.

Thanks in advance from this new member & I look forward to chatting with everyone here!!

This message was edited Jan 11, 2005 1:49 AM

This message was edited Jan 11, 2005 1:50 AM

Chantilly, VA(Zone 6b)

I have started dwarf Mondo grass from seed - BUT: the first time I saw blossoms or seed was several years after I had bougt 9 plants at a "close out sale" at a local nursery. The first several years they grew very slowly. Once they got settled they began to expand. I never saw a bloom! BUT - I had to relocate them because I was adding a garage, and as I dug them I saw the 1/4" blue seeds among the plants. Because they were so valuable to me, I sowed them in a flat and set it in the shade for a long term hope. Surprise, got 40 sprouts!

I now have 120+ ophiopogon (and 4 "long haired" ones as well) from this.

However:
Since that time, none of the plants have reproduced to my knowledge (and frequent investigation). Maybe they resent my intrusion? Anyway I now have 120 plus dwarf Mondo Grass, and consider myself "acqaintainted" with Ophiopogon.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi,
I also have the dwarf mondo grass, I think it has blue seeds now...would you like for me to send you some if it does? Mine has taken three seasons to thicken and spread, but I love it!
JanetS

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Say "yes" Alfalfa!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.