Request for a veggie mentor - zone 6/7

Greenback, TN

I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, very close to the zone line so I'm not sure which zone I am in officially. I have about a gajillion questions on planting times etc. that suit my climate, is anyone from near my area willing to mentor me?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

A bigtime WELCOME to DG, Tammy.
The foothills of the Smokey's!? One of my favorite areas! Perhaps you are zone 7 or 6b? (What other towns are nearby?)

We have many folks who are in Tenn (famous Dave himself once resided there!)

There is no doubt that many folks can come forward and give you great help.

What in particular are you wanting to grow anyway?

Greenback, TN

Everything! LOL! I was wondering when we start the tomatoes and peppers for transplanting and when we put the cabbage in the ground.

Maryville is only a few miles from me. Lenoir city and Tellico Plains too.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I would ask locals or call your Ag Extension office and get your "last frost" date. Or any local nuseries that sell plants should also be able to tell you.

I'd suggest starting your tomato seeds in cell packs inside about 6 weeks before the last frost date. Peppers seem to take forever to get going so you can start them 8 to 12 weeks before that date.

Cabbage plants: we can set ours out from Feb 1 to April and they do good. Any later that setting them out after April and our weather gets too hot for them.

You might want to check around the garden centers/nurseries and you'll see them get flats of cabbage plants in...when they do that'll tell you it's okay (usually) to set them out.

My DD and I drove near you this past summer, on the way to, or way back, from the DG Roundup in KY. (The first DG Roundup was near Crossville, also not very far from you.)

Will be seeing you around the site!

Greenback, TN

I am 7a whew! Had to check several places to be sure. Thanks for the answers! I am so excited -- my first garden!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

TammyTN -- Welcome to DG and your very first garden. How very exciting. Are you planting in ground or container ? Which ever you can count on all of us for advice. Just ask ?

Greenback, TN

Thank you T plant! I am planting in the ground in the old style of long rows for this year. Thinking about raised beds next time...

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Tammy,
Go to your state universitys website and they usually have very good info. Also your local county extension agent can be your best friend.

I'd also recommend you get books on Southern gardening. My fave is Southern Living Garden Book. Go to the bookworm here at DG and do a search for southern gardening.

There are LOTS of southern gardeners here at DG......... but I'd say you will find no better mentor than horseshoe!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.