Time to Help Me Dream

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I work in a Tech school and have asked the welding shop to make me 3 trellises-2 that are 2' wide and 8' tall and 1 that is 3' wide and 8' tall. They will be in a row in the back of a large garden full of trees, bushes, roses, and daylilies. I have no plans yet. If you had 7 feet to plant vines or climbers what would you chose (for my zone)??? The trellises will go behind where the wheel barrow is.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's another shot of the entire garden where they will be (in back of those concrete balls-as a screen).

Thumbnail by boojum
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know much about your zone, but I do know you are already off to a great start!
Nice!
-T

Well, thank you!! The big stuff and some of the roses were there already-stuck in the lawn so I removed sod for 2 years under all of it with the help of whoever I could hire. They all burnt out! I think I had 5 people burn out on my sod. But now it's done!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Boo...if I had seven feet of space to plant, I think I would choose to make an ALLEE, such as Monet's garden for his wisteria and roses. Now his, is called the Grand Allee....but you could make it smaller with a couple of arches... good luck Elaine

Oh yes! Nice dream for sure. You have good taste, Roselaine! I considered that actually, but it would have been best where the japanese iris are, leading you in. But the iris are now established and need all the sun they can get. Maybe I could do that on the far side jutting out to match the iris bed (parallel to it). The garden is horseshoe-shaped. Meanwhile first things first, I've ordered the trellises for privacy since the road is right there on the far right and there's traffic at 4-6PM (that very large pine is on the other side of my road). So what would you put on them? A wisteria? I already have climbing roses (2 on the house, 2 on the barn, 1 yellow on one side of the arbor to go with jackmanii clematis on the other side) (Look closely on the first photo to see). There are 6 rugosas around the edges of the horseshoe and many roses within. I've mixed new clematis in with several roses. So what other climbers are there for the trellises? I'm new to climbers besides roses and clematis.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Boston Ivy would work,great fall color,German Ivy stays green thru the winter,Honeysuckle for fragrance,also evergreen thru the winter,varigated porcerlin vine.Just a few off top of my head.

Perry, MI

boojam,

If you made allee, you could alternate climbing roses and clematis. Very romantic and if you choose wisely there will be something in bloom all season and sometime simultaneously. Variegated porcelain vine is lovely too those leaves are just gorgeous all season long...another mixer for a romantic shady allee to be sure

Must check these out. Are any of these invasive or tend to need watching? I can't handle high maintenance with all these gardens so I must be very careful. (Not to mention a bad low back. I know, I know most of us have bad backs!)

I'm depressed-I found a website full of vines and they were either not in my zone or with invasive warnings ( including variegated porcelain). Darn. Sure limits my dreaming.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Boo, for an invasive vine that you really like- you could grow them in pots. :-) Would make it easy to take them in during the winter too!
What about a hyacinth bean vine? It grows fast...and blooms purple.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Are you leaning towards perennial vines, or are you considering annuals also? Do you want a heavy cover for privacy, or are you interested in color? So many questions I know! I live in zone 5 and grow many vines, both perennial and annual. I interplant some of my vines....on my pergola I have Dutchman's Pipe, Monkshood, Variegated Kiwi, Chocolate Vine and annual morning glories. It took at least a good five years for my vines to give me the cover I wanted so that's why I planted so many.
I have Variegated Porcelain Vine and do find babies sprouting up around the yard, but I just yank them out. I grow Wisteria, but am training them to tree form since they will eventually develop thick vines and would most likely pull down any type of support I have them on.

Attached is a pic of my pergola area....directly in front of the chair is the chocolate vine I've got growing up a wire....right behind the white birdhouse is a clematis...way to the back against the brick wall is one of the Monkshood....then on the trellis part to the right is the Dutchman's Pipe. Growing over the gated arbor is the kiwi...I love the kiwi scent of the flowers in spring. In the immediate right corner of the photo is a birdfeeder...I have a scarlet honeysuckle vine growing there. I consider myself a "potluck" or "hodgepodge" gardener....no formal designs...I just grow what I like and move it if I need to.

Don't know if this helped or not?! I'll probably have some Monkshood seedlings popping up come spring, if you would like to try one email me and we'll set something up.

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Stops weeping for Sandys lack of MG's-
Man that's gorgeous! Wowzers. :-D

Sandy, looks great! I'm tending for partly privacy, partly color. I guess I'm more into color than privacy. I was originally thinking about passion flowers and honeysuckle. Are there hardy passion flowers? I would like mostly perennials, supplemented by annuals. I'm now thinking of clematis and MGs. I already have 2 trumpet vines.

I have monkshood but never as a vine. Is it the same as the freestanding variety?

Granbury, TX(Zone 7b)

Boojum,
I agree with Obsessed that clematis and roses would be wonderful - so many lovely color combinations to contemplate! And until they are well established which might take a couple of years, you can plant annual vines as long as they don't overpower the clematis. At my last house I had a wonderful pink climbing rose and clematis Ramona climbing up through it. It was so pretty!

Linda

Ramona is blue right?
Do you have a photo? Sounds lovely!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, I would love to see Morning Glories, Passion Flowers, Dutchman's Pipes, and Hollyhocks - though really so many to choose from! You are fortunate to have such a problem - LOL!

Sandy - All I can say is WOW!!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

seed-sower, I would love to be able to walk into your pergola right now, but guess I will have to just look out at snow. It is melting and thankfully the ground wasn't frozen very hard before the snow so it is going into the ground. Your pergola is just great.

Boojum, lots of vine ideas for you to contemplate for the rest of the winter. I myself love Clematis and have many scattered around the yard, but most aren't fragrant.. So for that reason I also grow several different honeysuckle vines. Donna

This fall I planted lots of clematis in with my roses:
Arabella (purple bells) for the yellow honey colored rose (Honey Perfume)
Ken Dodson (blue) for white rose (Gettysburg)
texensis Duchess of Albany (warm pink bells) for light pink (moyesii Nevada)
Niobe (red) for pale pink (Heritage)
recta Pamela (white) for small pink flowered rugosa (Pink Grootendorst?)
CRISPA Texensis (blue bells) with yellow hybrid rugosa (Topaz Jewel).
Hope they all make it!!

I also have a jackmanii on one side of the arbor (above) with Yellow Wings (single pale yellow rose) on the other side.

What clematis do you love????

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Boojum, that is great about the trellises, go girl ! And Seedsower, I love your pergola. I have an area just like that along my detached garage, and made a stone patio, you just gave me the idea for the cover!!! I am planning a backyard June wedding and am looking for vines, roses, ect to grow in the colors of white,dark blue, and silver, and chartreuse(kinda lime green). Good luck with your backyard Boojum!!!
And thanks Seedsower for your picture!

Dark blue, white, silver, and chartreuse?? Yum! Whose wedding??

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you get a Wisteria, check out the Japanese ones. They aren't so overpowering and huge like the Chinese ones. Did you know that they spiral in opposite directions? Can't remember which now. Anyway, the Japanese cultivars have smaller flowers - which would be perfect for your situation - and you wouldn't have a big Chinese Wisteria crushing your beautiful structure. They can actually be kept in a tree shape so they are quite manageable. Of couse there is only one bloom in the spring. But pretty leaves.

Be sure you get reblooming climbing roses. And be sure to check that your cultivar won't grow to 20 feet. There is even a thornless climber. Can't remember the name of it now, but if you're interested I can find it. It has a pink flower. Might be more comfortable to walk through.

I know, I'm such a pain in the rear. Can you tell I've made all of these mistakes?

But I would be tempted to put one of the more manageable honeysuckles there. And to keep the roses on the ground. You could put some lavender along the path and you'd have lovely scent all summer, especially if you include several types of lavender that bloom at different times. I can smell it now. Delicious!

MMM. Lavender paths sounds (smells) lovely. And I will check out the japanese wisteria!! I've made lots of mistakes, too. But what a good use of them to help others! Thank you.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here (at the top of the picture in the very center) is a Japanese Wisteria standard in July. It was just put in the previous year (as was all the landscaping in the planters) but by the end of the summer it had spread arms across the fence about 5 feet on each side. The one thing about Wisteria is that it's very important to prune it correctly so that it flowers well and doesn't get out of control. I had some older ones, but they didn't make it through the construction. Or destruction as the case may be.

Thumbnail by doss
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Doss,
I command ye to post more pictures of your gorgeous yard!!! Buhahaha

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your wish is my command! This garden is on the opposite side of the house from the pool. Just to keep to the vine topic, I am standing under a wisteria that crawls across the beam of my porch. And the bush on the right at the fence (behind the heron) has a Jackmanii clematis sleeping inside. It's early November. The back of the pond will be covered with Cycloglossa Iris ( they're bulbous and purple) in the spring. Then there are Dahlias in August and the late fall. There is also a Clematis "Josephine" (double pink) on the right hand side that you can't see. So, I guess by telling you everything that you can't see, I've justified my vine exsistence! (LOL)

Thumbnail by doss

Doss,
I've seen your pool pictures before and they are wonderful. Can you link us to them?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I could but I don't have them on a journal. Somehow, I just haven't taken the time to figure it out. I tried and I've got the How to start a journal watched, but it's a great idea. Maybe I'll take a further attempt next week. The first try didn't go so well!

Can you find the thread you posted your pictures on??

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doss and Sandy - When you post pictures of your gardens could you add that neat little feature that pops up the name of each plant when you move your curser over it? ;)

boojum - I'm way of of your zone so I'd be no help but I can't wait for the "after" picture! What a beautiful setting.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oops I posted a thread link somewhere else. People are going to be surprised. What I think I'll do is start a new thread and just put them all in one place on the photo forum. So then I'll give you the link to that.

Tucson, thanks for your anticipation of my "after" photos. I hope they are worth your wait and all the help you folks are giving me!!

I haven't played with journaling, but several people have asked to see photos of my gardens. How do you make those pop ups anyhoo? Is it a feature in the journal?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's so finished looking! Beautiful- Were jealous!! LOL
Looking for that link now, hehe.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Glad you all like the pergola.....!
Boojum....the flowers on the Monkshood vine are very inconsipicuous--I grow it for the foilage. I had a pic of the foilage but its on my old computer that died. If I find the floppy that its on I'll be sure to post it.

BTW....the birds love the area under the pergola. Last spring I had three different birds nesting within five feet of each other.

Sandy

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Boojum - I use the journal because my mind is a sieve, lol! I knew I wanted to write down everything I was planting to help me remember how to care for everything and how big each plant will get. When I found this site it seemed like the perfect way to go about it. I love that each plant you put in gets linked to it's page here. For example, I put in that I planted Candelilla and it automatically links to the Euphorbia antisyphilitica page here at Dave's. As far as I know there's no nifty little "pop-up" feature here but we can dream, can't we?!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is the thread with my garden photos on it. I still have some more, but I'll put them on a little later.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/482325/

thanks, they are the ones I wanted to see again!!! And more.

Atlanta, GA

Doss;

Could you tell me what the tall "feathery" plant on the left is? I set out tonight to find something to cover our new trellis fence, but after seeing this, I'm back to looking at my plans for the side yard.
Your yard is lovely, I'm green with envy.

L.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

HI! The grass is Cyperus Papyrus (what the Eygyptians used to make paper) It's probably hardy in Georgia, although I don't know your zone. It's very well behaved. While it can stand in water, it seems to do OK with my regular watering schedule. It gets about 7 or 8 feet tall. I cut it back when the fronds fall over too far, or when they get unkempt and they just keep coming back. It spreads by Rhizomes and can be divided but it isn't taking over at all. I recommend it highly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.