Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Time to Help Me Dream, 1 by Seedsower

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Seedsower

In reply to: Time to Help Me Dream

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Time to Help Me Dream
Seedsower wrote:
Are you leaning towards perennial vines, or are you considering annuals also? Do you want a heavy cover for privacy, or are you interested in color? So many questions I know! I live in zone 5 and grow many vines, both perennial and annual. I interplant some of my vines....on my pergola I have Dutchman's Pipe, Monkshood, Variegated Kiwi, Chocolate Vine and annual morning glories. It took at least a good five years for my vines to give me the cover I wanted so that's why I planted so many.
I have Variegated Porcelain Vine and do find babies sprouting up around the yard, but I just yank them out. I grow Wisteria, but am training them to tree form since they will eventually develop thick vines and would most likely pull down any type of support I have them on.

Attached is a pic of my pergola area....directly in front of the chair is the chocolate vine I've got growing up a wire....right behind the white birdhouse is a clematis...way to the back against the brick wall is one of the Monkshood....then on the trellis part to the right is the Dutchman's Pipe. Growing over the gated arbor is the kiwi...I love the kiwi scent of the flowers in spring. In the immediate right corner of the photo is a birdfeeder...I have a scarlet honeysuckle vine growing there. I consider myself a "potluck" or "hodgepodge" gardener....no formal designs...I just grow what I like and move it if I need to.

Don't know if this helped or not?! I'll probably have some Monkshood seedlings popping up come spring, if you would like to try one email me and we'll set something up.

Sandy