Starting Caragana

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

I feel silly asking this, as I've previously had no problems starting caragana from seed--even with 5-year-old seed. But I bought new seed (from the same company) a couple of years ago and can NOT get them to germinate. Have tried every trick I know--I scarify them, have tried soaking/not soaking/pre-sprouting on paper towels, planting directly into the flat, different temperatures. Each year for 3 years I've tried different approaches. Any ideas? I suppose it's possible I got a "bad" batch, but surely ONE would have germinated.

Have already soaked (2 days) and planted some and have others on paper towels. I start all my perennial seeds indoors as I'm in a short-season area. VERY short. Fall planting is out. Caragana does survive our winters, though, once established.

I will send you some more seeds if you like. Try winter sowing. They come up all over here on their own.

Precipice Valley, BC(Zone 2a)

Thanks Brenda, I have more of this batch but I'm starting to suspect it was a bad one so a few from another source would be great.

R.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

What does winter sowing mean? I looked in the botanary terms and it was not listed.

JesseK

It means putting the seeds in the sowing medium, outside to take whatever comes - freezing, thawing, rain, snow. Just keep them from being washed away, or dried up and burnt by sun. That's the short answer. If you do a search, there are several threads on this. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/404757/ This was one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.