Wild garlic, mustard >:(

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

You know, with the pointy leaves.... and the tiny white flowers? It's a horrible weed and it's rampant in the woods on my property. Would it be safe to treat that area with Round Up? I'd REALLY like to see them cleared out.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Roundup will only kill what it hits. Now, *how well* it kills any particular kind of plant is another thing... but safety shouldn't be a concern as long as no overspray or drip-off gets on anything you don't want to kill... allow the part you have sprayed to remain on plant (I have cut part of a weed off and thrown it away so as to have somewhat less area to cover when I did spray but leave enough to absorb the Roundup [or other brand name Glyphosate]) until quite dead -- the 'juice' has to circulate to the root.

I have read or been told than the active chemical (Glyphosate) degrades or converts to harmless or even beneficial compounds (nutrients?) in the soil, after doing its purpose. The EPA says: "What happens to Glyphosate when it is released to the environment? Glyphosate is strongly adsorbed to soil, with little potential for leaching to ground water. Microbes in the soil readily and completely degrade it even under low temperature conditions. It tends to adhere to sediments when released to water. Glyphosate does not tend to accumulate in aquatic life."

Is this the plant? Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) -- scroll down to "controlling GM".

~'spin!~

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

That's the plant!

I don't see any link for "controlling GM", can you please repost?

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

try this for pictures and info...
http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/Allipeti.html

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.