Winter Sowing

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I've never did any winter sowing, but I want to try it. I start a lot of seeds in the house during the winter. I've ordered alot of new and different things this year. I just don't think I'll have room in the house to start them all. Can anyone give me some good advise or good webs to learn more about this subject?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

sanfan, we've had lots of good threads here on the forums concerning winter sowing. Try using the search box at the top right of this thread. If you type in winter sowing, you'll get all kinds of links to old threads. There is one one pop bottle sowing that is really interesting, as well.

I, too, start lots of seeds in the house in the spring. My basement is full of light racks, but I, too, run out of space. For the seeds that need cold stratification after a week or so of warmer temps, I sow the seeds in containers indoors, then after the required time, I set the domed flats of these seeds out on my porch where they will go through the normal weather cycles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

here's a link
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's a link to winter sowing threads on Dave's... there are lots of them: http://davesgarden.com/forums/search.php?search_text=winter+sowing

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the info. For some reason I can get the search to work. There's a search at the top right, but there isn't a "go" ot any thing to make it fetch.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I have had the same problem, now I just hit the enter key and it "goes"
I am about ot start some indoor seeds soon, thanks for the links!

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I went to the links and printed the information. Thank You, I'll post my results as they come in. (smile smile)

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Yeah, Thank You Tamara! Enter worked! I'm on a search for EVERYTHING now!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

weezingreens,
That was the only site I could think of that listed all the seeds you can use to winter sow.Not at all trying to knock Dave's.Dave's is the BEST!!It sure beats G/W for sure.Jody

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you Jody and weezingreens. I'm going to get started on buying up my soil and seeds. I have some I can try. This is going to interesting. Now if I can get out of the house. We got 16" of snow the past 24 hours.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I got ambitious yesterday and ordered peat pellets and a table top grow light. Then I came acorss this thread and read and read and read the links ( maybe not as much as you sanfan...)

So now I see some DG subscribers have not had good results with the pellets, so I will follow the directions very carefully. Also I will start with the cold hardy vegetables, and not let them get too warm by keeping them in the cool foyer.

I also learned how many seeds germinate better when exposed to cold, so I will be sowing some flowers, including Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate (heirloom from Seeds of Change) outside soon. Last year I couldn't get them to come up, not a one. I was sprouting them in the same place as peppers, so naturally the room was too warm.

And the Deno method just takes the cake. I remember last year ernie or weeds or shoe had suggested I test germinate in a paper towel. The Deno method takes it furter by allowing you to sprout ALL of your seeds, then plant them.

Well, I have more reading, and a lot of work to do before my supplies come in. If anyone has ordered from http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com before, please let me know. I will go check the watchdog now, I had not thought of that before...

Every day on Dave's Garden, I just learn and learn and learn...and LEARN!

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I love Dave's garden. The only problem is I'm not getting much more done. I'm coping lots of material to share thru the next year with our garden club. I keep emailing people on my list with the different ideas. They must think I'm a genious.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

good 4 U...

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

hey, Jody, good information is always welcome here from my experience. I'm going to go check out your link myself.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks,weezingreens,
I like the w/s list Trudy set up over there.
I printed it out.lol.lots of paper.Jody

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Lots of different seeds need light also to germinate.
Here's a germination table hope it helps.
http://www.ourgardengang.com/Seed%20Germination%20DB.htm

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've gotten in the habit of printing out segments of Tom Clothier's Germination list for each variety of plants. I keep the gernimation requirements in the bag with that type of seed. I start all my seeds under fluorescent light unless darkness is specified. If so, I cover them with a piece of black plastic. Otherwise, if I leave them in a dark spot, I forget about them and they are yellow, leggy, and sad.

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks Jody, my printer is at work again. This information is fantatic!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

weezingreens,
I don't want any yellow leggy plants either.LOL.
sanfan,
you said you wanted seeds?What are you looking for?I may have some to help you get started.Goodness knows I have to many seeds.LOL.Jody

Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

Do any of you know of a germination chart that lists the weeks before last frost date needed for each type of seed?

Thanks
Lisa

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lbmoore, The Tom Clothier site will give you general germination dates, but that only suggests how long it takes for the seeds to germinate, not the rate at which they will grow once germinated. Are you starting your seeds indoors or outdoors?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.