newbie germinated seed question

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hello,

I bought some acer palmatum and acer ginnala seeds from anglegrove seed company and put them in peat in the refridgerator in october. I recently checked them for fungus and found that about 18 of them had sprouted!

From books, I assumed that the root radicle is what was emerging.

My instructions from anglegrove say they should be planted right away if they sprout. My silly question is, Should I plant them with the root pointing down? I stupidly planted all of them with the root pointing up, because I thought is was a stem!

I am in the process of carefully turning them over now, if that is the right thing to do (I hope!).

Boy do I need alot of help!

Thanks,

Maureen

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

The roots will grow down no matter which way you plant them.
You might want to leave them so as not to risk breaking the root off.
If you can't tell which end is up so to speak, or the root is extremely fragile, then lay the seed on its side.
They'll figure it out, LOL!!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2005 4:32 PM

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I turned them over extremely carefully, and did put some sidways like you said, so I hope I haven't killed them all. Thanks for you help!

Big Bear City, CA

When in doubt always turn a root, corm, bulb, etc... on it's side.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Brilliant idea

Valley Village, CA

Caron you are so right. That is exactly what my instructions were from my curator at the Huntington Gardens. Some cuttings or seed won't grow it planted up side down. Sansevieria are one of those, you gave perfect instructions. Norma dba crasulady2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.