Planted Daylily Seeds....Need Help!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I posted this at the daylily forum and then thought maybe I should have posted it here. If anyone has experience with my situation, I'd sure appreciate some insight!
I usually sow my daylily seeds in a soil-less seed starting mix, water and then put the pot in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for six weeks. I then remove and put under lights and have fairly quick germination.

This year I used a different soil-less mix and it has retained ALL the moisture (water) I watered the container with. I am worried about the seeds rotting while they're in the refrigerator for the next six weeks. I've pressed the soil as hard as I can to release what water I can, but the container is still pretty saturated.

The seeds were refrigerated since I harvested them in fall. Is this sufficient for stratification and I really don't need to put them in the fridge for another six weeks? Should I just let the seeds germinate (will they?) instead of putting them back in the fridge? Or should I try to dig them out? ...I have six rows of various types, I'm worried about mixing them up.

If I just leave them out to germinate, is this WAY too early to let that start happening since I can't put them outside until late May?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sandy

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Could you put the mixture with seeds into a ziploc which you have poked a lot of holes in first> You could put the whole thing over a bowl to catch what water drains off.
I only started daylily seeds once by putting them in that white perlite I think. I put them in a glass bowl and just mixed the seeds in. I left them in the fridge for several weeks. When I took them out I immediately planted them outdoors where they germinated in the spring.
It took three years before they produced, but it was worth the wait.
Not sure on your question about taking them out of the fridge. I would leave them in there where they will remain dormant. Just get the water to drain off and have it just slightly damp for stratification purposed. Daylily seed is rather hard usually so I doubt they will rot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.