Experiences with Stark Bro. plants in North?

Lawrence, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm tempted by some offerings in the Stark Bros. catalog, namely thornless blackberries. It says that they're hardy to zone 5, and I'm 5b. I know that some parts of Missouri (home of Stark Bros.) are also Zone 5, but I'm thinking Zone 5 in Michigan might be a little different than Zone 5 in Missouri. I've always heard that one should by nursery stock from a climate similar to one's own. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts to share? kathy

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

Don't know much about your state, I'm in zone 8a, but I've ordered quit a few trees over the years from Stark Bros and have never been disappointed with anything. If you order from them, I would reccomend their Supreme trees. I've even had them call me a year after ordering, to see if every thing is OK. All of the trees from them are currently bearing fruit. Of course, you have to take of them, just like anything else. Good growing practices makes the difference. But what they have supplied me has always been good quality trees.
PS... No I don't work for them, but have been very satisfied. More so with them, than anyone else I've ever ordered from.

Arden (Asheville), NC(Zone 7a)

Michigan should get a lot of climate moderation from Lake Michigan especially on the western side of the state. Where you are in the southern part of the west side should be about the mildest part of the state and may have a microclimate more moderate than zone 5. I know that Stanley Plums are grown in that general area and require about the same conditions thornless blackberries would. Your climate may be more like that of Missouri's than you might think because of the Lake influence.

Do you have any wild blackberries or raspberries in the woods in your area? They will be considerably hardier than the lush growth of the thornless blackberries, close kin to those Oregon "Loganberries" that are used in some extraordinary preserves--like Smuckers. The wild ones, however, will give you at least a hint about what is or is not adapted.

I'm on the northern fringe of z 7 and have a few thornless blackberries growing in places on the property--and a host of the wild kind I have to keep rooting out. They certainly thrive here. So do the commercial-quality thornless.

Neil Mogensen

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Kathy:
I am originally from Stevensville, MI (near St. Joseph). We have had many different types of fruit, including blackberries. I have not had experience with Stark Bros., however I am going to try them myself for the first time this year. I have read more good reviews than poor ones about the company.
Given the sandy soil in MI, you may need to make sure the canes have enough water throughout the growing season, especially if we have a dry summer. Let me know how they do if you decide to plant them.
Mary

P.S. I'm going to order dwarf apple and peach trees as well as blueberries. I miss picking them in the summer.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi kathyjohn. I just wanted
to say that I think you will really like trying to grow some thornless blackberries this spring if you can. I'm a Missourian who lives across the state from Starkes Bros. Nursery. I shop around each season going thru catalogs to see whats new out there to try and grow. I personally have had very good luck with a variety of blackberries. I'm a new member and just wanted to tell you I think you can't go wrong growing these delicious blackberries that don't have thorns. There are many varieties of thornless blackberries to choose from. Even with their differences(size, characteristics, etc.,) they are really productive and taste delicious to me. Check with some local growers in your area to locate a good blackberry to try. I'll answer any questions you have based on what I've experienced growing them in my garden here in northwestern Missouri.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.