Roses from cuttings need any information please

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

A friend is sending me, 7 different kinds of old garden rose cuttings; they should be here today or tomorrow.I need to know what ways others have a success in propagating roses and what is easiest.I have heard you can even stick the cuttings in the sand outside and they'll root in the spring.How true is this.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Jody

Plano, TX

Jody, try doing the "Wet Sponge" technique...that seems to be doing good for me...and thanks to this site, this is where I found out about it!!

I found my at Wal-marts and I've been tickled pink with the results...

I'm even rooting a lot of begonias

TaTa!
Rose in Texas

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

what is the "Wet Sponge" technique?Jody

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Jody,
I don't know anything about wet sponges, but about 20 years ago I did root some rose cuttings outside. My cuttings were taken in November, stuck in some loosened, humusy soil, watered, and covered with a big gallon pickle jar. In late spring when the soil warmed up, I propped up the jar a bit with a stick so some heat could escape. In early summer, I removed the jar and kept the roots moist all season. I still have some of those roses today! It might be too late if your soil is frozen...you could tightly wrap the cuttings in foil and stick them in the crisper of your fridge until the soil thaws...then try the method I outlined. Good luck!
Susan

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Soil isn't frozen solid yet,I just planted some daylilies yesterday.lol.But it was an area that had news papers laid down then 4" of potting soil on top of the papers.It wasn't frozen under the newspaper.
We are in the 50's this week.Unbelievable weather.
I sure do like the idea of sticking them in the soil with a clear cover.Sounds a whole lot easier than the way I was going to do it.Thanks for the info.Jody

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

You can also sit the container, if small enough into a gallon zip loc bag and zip it partially closed.
The roses should be ok to root in a window, but will need to be acclimated when spring comes by placing first in the shade and gradually bringing into the sun.
I pot mine and sometimes cover them with the bag, sometimes not. If I put them behind and nearly at the base of a large shrub I leave the bag off, if they have any kind of wind on them, I put the bag over so they do not totally dry out. One thing you do not want to do is keep pulling them up and looking for a root. I know it is tempting, but unless the stem turns black they are ok to leave alone.
Soem varieties root really quickly, others take months. The main thing, do not let the soil become dry to the touch, it should remain evenly moist until they are transplanted.
I am trying to re-grow roots on some I had planted in the back yard that the pups decided was a prickly lunch! How they managed to pull them out of the soil and chew on them with all those thorns is amazing.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

They came today, here's a photo.I gotta go cut and plant them now.LOL.Happy,Jody

edited because I can't spell

This message was edited Jan 1, 2005 1:56 AM

Thumbnail by JodyC
Ripley, MS

Jody, I have used the glass jar method also, but my Grandmother told me to do it in November. I am not sure why, but you are to put them in the ground and cover with a glass jar in November. Leave the jar in place until spring and then when you take it off the rose is rooted. I am in zone 7.
It might have time to root if you did it now, but with the crazy temps we are having, I would be afraid it would fry under the glass before it had a chance to root. I got your envy today and have it ready to send out tomorrow.
Sandra

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I have enough cuttings to try a few methods.
Need any information on rooting rose cuttings.Quik! I need your wisdom!!!!They just came today 8 different kinds,Old Garden Roses.Thanks to my gardening buddy,Rosepetals.

I'm full of questions today.

So far I'm making willow water to cut them and soak them in.Has anyone had any luck with this method?It's to help them root.Has anyone just put willow brances in with your rose cuttings?

I'm planting all of them together by cultivars in black plasic pots with potting soil on the bottom and sand on the top few inches,hope that's okay.Or should I mix the two together?

I'll then put the pots into my 30 gallon aquarium to root.With a plastic cover over the top to keep in the moisture.Do I still have to spray them 3 times a day?Will it get to wet inside if I do that?Will it cause them to rot?

Baggie method:Isn't my aquarium like a giant baggie?

I'm also going to stick a few in the ground with a 10 gallon aquarium over them.Think that will work?

I'm so excited,I want to get at least one of each kind to root.

Has anyone ever rooted roses in water?Ruby said some of them will even root in water.Maybe I should take a cutting or two of each and try the water method too.I have enough cuttings to try several methods.This is why I'm asking for information.
What has worked best for you?
Thanks,Jody

(Zone 7a)

Jody, I must apologize, but this is going to be wordy --

You want your rooting medium to both retain and drain moisture, along with maintaining aeration. So the following are good for rooting cuttings:

Sand (sharp, clean "builders' grade") mixed in equal parts with potting soil

A mixture of equal parts sand, potting medium, and perlite or vermiculite

Perlite

Vermiculite

Putting sand with or without grit in the bottom of the pot inside or trench outside will help against rot. Some people invert broken pieces of a terra cotta pot over the drainage hole first.

If you use peat moss or some potting medium containing peat moss, you must use warmed water, because peat moss will not absorb cold water. During the rooting time, water from the bottom of the pot to avoid disturbing the forming roots and don't let it sit in the water.

I have had the most success rooting rose cuttings outside under glass jars. (Once, DH and I were out doing errands and drove by an herbalist's shop that had just been sold to a new owner who had cut all the canes of an old rose down to the ground. It was March. We asked him if we could have them, and he gave them to us. Well, those cuttings rode around in the open back of our pickup with no protection from the wind while we finished our errands. When I got home, I cut them into 6" to 9" lengths and put them into the ground under jars. No ground preparation or fungicide. One out of 3 rooted, and they wound up in various neighbors' gardens. The ones next door have been tumbling over to our side over a yew hedge with flowers very like Baron Prevost - a nice aerial shower.)

Unfortunately, other cuttings have rotted unless I first soaked them in a systemic fungicide, which I have stopped doing because there are so many unanswered questions about how dangerous this type of chemical really is to people's health and the environment.

They were softwood cuttings taken late May to mid-June, so perhaps hardwood cuttings "struck" in late fall to early spring are less susceptible to disease pathogens than softwood cuttings struck during warmer months.

The plastic over the acquarium indoors and then the inverted aquarium outdoors sounds fine.

I would love to hear how your experiments with all the different types of rooting methods suggested above work out. If I root anymore roses, I'm going to try that willow soak, and the wet sponge method sounds intriguing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Will do I'll take a few photos tomorrow.Thanks,Jody

Plano, TX

Jody, when you said you were making a willow soak, do you actually get branches off a willow tree and soak them (for how long) to get willow water??? Please explain...I LOVE ROSES and I'm always looking for anything extra to use to make sure they live...

Also, btw, here is Texas, you would have thought it was already spring here the last few days...it's crazy...it was so nice all week..my bulbs are partially all starting to pop up, so I have to put a lot of mulch on them to protect them from upcoming freezes I'm sure we will be getting...but I'm going outside today and I will be cutting several more roses from my yard as well as my neighbors....my former neighbor used to be the President of the Rose Society and has soooooo many rose bushes surrounding his house, I'm going to try and get some cutting from each one of them....I myself have bought all of mine through catalouges and they are anywhere from creeping roses to climbing...minatures, you name I have it...unfortunately, I haven't a clue where I will be moving a lot of them cause they are outgrowing their spaces and I try and move them at least every other year...they seem to do better that way...

Let me know on the willow water..sounds neat!! if ANYONE WANTS some clippings from my neighbors and my yard without knowing the names cause that will be my next job next spring is identifying all the roses...I guess the ones I have I can call the place I ordered them from, but it's been so long ago, they may not have them on record anymore...I know some of them were named after celebrities like, Rosie O'Donnell, etc. I need to dig up my records, I try and keep a copy of everything I order...

Let me know and I'll start separating small pieces and packaging them...send a large SASBE and at least $4.50 in postage so I can cover my costs....

TaTa!
rosebruce

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Jody

Check this thread and also chek this site.
Lakshmi my friend, she is in USA and athentic on rosses.
You can contact her,
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/472830/

kaleem

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Rosebruce,
Here's the willow link.I just went out clipped a few branches from my weeping willow cut them in tiny peices and soaked them until the water cooled then I cut the roses under the water.And soak them in it.Here's the link
http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/willow.htm
I'd love to have some of the roses but really want the names as some roses that grow in Texas.Won't make it here.Thanks,Jody

(Zone 7a)

Jody, would you like cuttings of the following roses? -

Alberic Barbier - rambler with long (to 20'), flexible canes. Extremely disease resistant and cold-hardy, tolerant of high shade from monster silver maples. Flowers once in summer - old fashioned shape, double, cream slightly blushed yellow, fragrant. It grows over a gate into a neighbor's garden in a break of a yew hedge. I never spray it, mainly try to get the canes trained over the arbor before the flower buds break in spring. Have only had it 4 years, so, so far, haven't had to cut out old, unproductive wood.

It's nice with the double yellow climber, Graham Thomas (10' canes), which also has a surprising tolerance for shade. Will send you some of that too if you wish.

Sally Holmes - this one gets the most shade and repeats well. It's single, cream blushed slightly pink, prominent gold stamens, huge petals like sails of a ship.

This is such short notice. Let me know before Monday - the beginning of the week's a good time to send cuttings.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

bluespiral,
Of course I would.Thanks so much for the offer.Tell me how much you need for postage.I'll start getting more rooting stuff together.lol.Jody

(Zone 7a)

I'll cut and mail them Monday, and let you know then what the postage comes to. Does anyone want to share their knowledge/experience with companions for roses? This is a good time of year to ruminate in that direction. Happy New Year, all.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

bluespiral,
Thank you very much for the cuttings.
Companions to grow with roses is that what you mean?Jody

rosebruce,
I planted a weeping willow a few years ago.It might have a bad hair cut by this spring if I have to keep using willow water.I changed my mind If you think your neigboors roses are worthn propagating,I'd love to have some cuttings,being he or she was President of the Rose Society.I guess I could try to ID them later and not look a gift horse in the mouth:weird saying huh..lol.Let me know where to send the money for postage.Thanks,Jody

Plano, TX

Jody, I'll be working in the garden this weekend, so I'll get my clippers all cleaned and ready to snip this weekend...gosh, I cannot believe how beautiful it has been all week....and more of it all weekend, so I'll be happy to send you a bunch of stuff as soon as I get it all...

Let me get the clippings, get them ready and weigh them and you probably want them sent to you fast, so you will have to decide how you want me to ship them...so till then, ta ta!

P.S. I haven't used one of those mailers that no matter how much it weighs it is a fixed cost...do you know where that is??? and who does it..is it the post office? This may be the best way to send you these roses, so they don't cost an arm and a leg, but the time it will get to you is what worries me...do you think the cuttings would last for a while? Let me know!

Rose in Texas

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It all depends on how many cuttings your sending of each.These were sent to me in those long priority boxes for under 3.85 per box and she had them stuffed.She sent several cuttings on each kind,that were at least 25 inches long because you have to recut again when you plant them.I' doesn't matter they must have some great roses;next door at thr president of roses house.
I might break down and have to buy Chrysler Imperial and Marie. Those two are on my must have list.
Do you have paypal?If I have anything you'd like to trade for let me know.
Happy New Year!!!! Jody

Plano, TX

Jody, I think you were going to send me some stuff that would grow in the South where I live, so that's all you need to send me...I sent you some a SASE.

I'll try the Priority Box and stuff them as well...you can just send me stamps in exchange for the $3.85...that should cover it..with all the trades I do, I can always use stamps!!

And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU MY DEAR!!

Rose in Texas

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I have tons of seed that will grow in the south.
I can also send you brug cuttings they are named,they grow in the south.I have a few dahlias.Jody

(Zone 7a)

Oops - Jody, forgot to ask you for your mailing address. You will have email, shortly.

Yes, by rose companions, I meant, for instance, growing:

a low hedge of the glaucous, blue-green rue in front of a low, pale yellow-apricot rose like English Garden.

Chartreus-y lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) also makes a nice low edging/carpeting on the shady side of a large shrub like the dark crimson Bourbon 'Madame Isaac Pierre'. Spiky, white flowered iris ensata compliments the mound shapes nicely with only half a day's sun.

Othello, another fragrant double crimson with an old fashioned shape makes a small climber for me, and caryopteris faces it down beautifully, with an edging of the silvery felted rock cress (arabis something) in front. Behind the whole business, rose campion (Lychnis coronaria) echoes the silvery felted leaves of the arabis and the crimson of the rose in 3' to 4' tall airy candalabras.

That sort of thing. What a day here in Maryland - may 2005 be full of days like this for us all.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Sounds like a wonderful idea for a thread.Are you into landscaping or a designer?Jody

I'm thinking of starting a rose co-op I contacted Chamblee's roses to see if I can work out a % off deal if we by so much.They have OGR's Mini's Auston's.

I'm starting a new thread on my propagation attempts.Jody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.