A Strawberry Container Comparison

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Just look at the difference between pot grown and earthbox grown strawberry plants. I have grown berries in all ways but this beats all ways. This picture is about two weeks old and the EB is now loaded with strawberries and the pots have one each ? There is no comparison. You should see my peppers and most of all, my tomatoes.

Thumbnail by Tplant

This is a view of my strawberry patch. It goes right up to the EB that holds four pepper plants and one eggplant. See the difference ? The earthbox berries are in the lower part of the picture.

Thumbnail by Tplant

This box contains four peppers and one eggplant. It amazes me that so much can be grown in such a small place but it's OK with the plants so who am I to complain ?

Thumbnail by Tplant
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

Can you direct me to the thread where we talk about the Earthbox in detail? For some reason, I thought they were much bigger than that. I guess maybe they come in many sizes? I'm interested. Those test results are impressive.

Ivory, you sure are an early riser. I don't remember where it was but it was way back last May or so. However go to www.earthbox.com and what they say is true.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

Early riser? I was already on my second shift! (Boys ages 3 and 5 - have to get up earlier than they do to get anything done.)

I'm off to read about Earthboxes. I know you guys are sworn devotees. I just haven't been following along too closely. Thanks for the pointer.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

Do they come in various sizes or only one size. Looks like from the website they come in only one (large) size, but from Tplant's strawberry pics, it looked like they were planted in a smaller one.

No Ivory --- They just come in one very convenient size. As far as the children are concerned, cherish these moments as they grow up to fast. Almost like the crops of earthbox.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

My experience with self-watering planters extends only to the ones I bought from Gardener's Supply. They were pretty big, like the Earthboxes. I did a side-by-side comparison with in-ground tomatoes and planter tomatoes and the planter tomatoes were much less productive. The Earthbox set up is similarly, although there are some differences, such as the cover (not included in the GS planters) and possibly the depth of the soil, and maybe how the water resevoir delivers water to the roots. The GS planters had a platform with slats under which the water sat, and upon which the soil rested. The roots of the plants grew down into the slats and into the water. Maybe it's an inferior design.

No ! Sounds like they omitted the big secret and that is a band of fertilizer at the top of the box. Anyway I am very familiar with most all self watering "do hickies" and EB's are most definetly the easiest to maintain. The cover, white or black side, prevents bugs and most important weeds from entering. What side you use depends on what zone you are in. In your case the white side because of heat. In the northwest , the black side because it is colder and black retains the heat.

I had to stop gardening a few years ago because I am disabled but then came "DAVES GARDEN" and then a link on
"Earthbox" and here I am. I have and will continue to show "My New Garden" topic as it progresses for this is our growing season ! Nice chatting with you and don't hesitate to ask any questions but don't expect me to answer them at 6 am as I am retired. I've been there, done that! (4:30 am.)

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Those earth boxes look pretty good. Could you use them on a very hot south facing deck?

I used mine on a south facing concrete patio before I moved to my present address. Make sure to use the white side of the cover. It worked for me without any problems and our climates are almost identical so I am sure it will work for you or anywhere else. This is one of the benefits of EB's.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2004 4:57 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My parents have one...they live in Central Florida and have a blast with theirs! They mostly grow flowers in theirs and ALL the neighbors love it!! (Their pastor wanted to borrow their flower box once but he ended up buying the church several of their own!)

Tplant, your garden is looking good! Keep on growin'!!

I think I'll try one. The lack of weeds is a big plus for me. Getting out there and hacking away at dug-in crabgrass is getting to be more than I can keep up with.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

these earth boxes seem to be pretty expensive. i think the web site tplant mentioned had them for about 59.00 dollars i think. is it worth the money??

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

Tplant--the more I read about your experiences with Earthboxes, the more interested I get! I think they are a fantastic idea.

Herbie: I think the box itself is $29.95 and the full kit with soil and fertilizer, etc, was $59.

I couldn't find any info on whether or not they ship to Canada and I haven't yet received a response to the email I sent asking about it. I did find instructions on constructing a homemade version at another site, but I'm not very handy. I'd rather just buy one!

Rhonda

The very first box I bought was the complete kit -- $59.00 --- but that was only to see how it was done. Afterwoulds I purchased the --$29.00 and bought the mix they suggested at Lowes and also dolomite lime at another nursery because at that time Lowes didn't carry dolomite but they do now, and also used 10-10-10 fertilizer. Be sure to buy mix and not soil ! Anyway it worked like a charm.

Rhonda ----- Call them on their 800 # for fast results. I've had problems getting thru on their e-mail.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Permit me to comment on HERBIE43's question re cost. In another group to which I belong, a gardener reports the first box in his nearly 2 dozen collection is now ten years old but still ready to go again. One feature I especially like is the portability. I can load a box onto my lowbed wheeled cart and move it to a more preferred location. Also, our rains sometimes come in deluges that keep gardeners indoors for days, but the drain on the box keeps the plants from drowning. I have only six boxes right now but will definitely acquire more.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

For $30.00 ya'll can't go wrong...from all I've heard and read about them that's a good bargain. I wouldn't mind getting one just to have around here to contribute to my other varietal ways of gardening!

(Oh yeh...was checking prices at their website/order form and noticed it is not a secure ordering page. I was SO close to ordering one, too! If you get one you should order it over the phone.)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I am the worlds laziest gardener, so I love these guys - NO MAINTENANCE! No weeding and NO guesswork with watering. There a little hole in the front of the box. You water through a little funnel and you just continue to water until the water dribbles from the hole! The production is MUCH higher and the fruit larger than from regular container gardening, though not quite as good as in the ground. Since I have no "soil" to speak of, an LOTS of critters, this is a no brainer for me. I haven't tried flowers in them, but 'maters, peppers, and eggplant LOVE them. I brought them in this winter to over winter some trades, and they are doing a fine job!

PS - The plants I planted using their "kit" (whick included their own potting soil and fertilizer) did even better than those I planted with Shultz products, so I will probably order more of their potting soil and fertilizer come spring. Being a single woman, it's an additionaly plus having everything delivered directly to my patio!

I am even more convinced, I'm a single woman too and I can't take those hard labor chores like I used to, or the heat either for that matter.
Does anyone know how these compare to similar boxes offered by gardener's suppy co? Their new catalog came in today's mail and I want two of everything :-)!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've not tried the Gardener's Supply boxes, so can only report what I've heard from gardeners who have - mainly that they don't work as well or last as long. They are attractive though, and I've been tempted. For the most part I've been pleased with other purchases from G. S.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

I only have experience with GS boxes, and from what I can tell based on what
Tplant and others have said, they don't work as well as the Earthbox. My side-by-side tomato test (GS self-watering planter vs. planted in the ground) resulted in very disappointing results with the planter. The tomatoes in the ground were huge and full of fruit, and the planter ones were spindly with many fewer tomatoes. I think Tplants strawberry test (above) is very compelling.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have both - I like the GS ones, but they are not as deep, so they are not as good for tomatoes. They are great for herbs and root veggies, and peppers and eggplants will grow in anything - LOL!

Good information, thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.