Propagating a Pencil Cactus

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a pencil cactus that I would like to take cuttings of and grow some new ones. But I do not know anything about how to propagate them. I do know that I have to be very careful when working with them because of the milky substance that they secrete. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you.

JesseK

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Someone sent me some that they had broken off of their own plant. They were wrapped in damp towels, so I know they were through dripping the sappy stuff. I just stuck them in a hanging basket filled with regular potting soil and they rooted in no time. Maybe you should let them dry overnight and then stick them in soil.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I also heard to leave out overnight to dry and then lay on the soil but am not sure here I have ratstail and it does good either sticking a small end just barley in the soil or laying on top. I usually let dry a day to.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

How long do you let it dry? I have some Cactus/Succulent soil. Is this okay? And do you mean to lay it down flat, not sticking in the soil? If so, do you cover it? Thanks for your help.

JesseK

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Good morning everyone! Jesse propagating pencil cactus is really easy - I've had better luck with my cuttings when I let them dry for a day or two and then sticking in a loose soil. I've experimented and tried using a rooting hormone at the end and also have just stuck in soil without the rooting hormone - Both times have given me the same results. I don't water much because it is a succulent and will tend to rot if the soil is kept too moist.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

juja 1st, great to hear from a neighbor. I only know cactus are suppose to calous over to root but I haven't had one in 4 or 5 years.
I have some "string of pearls" and they are becoming quite "unstrung" If you have any advice on what where,(in the house) and how to do, please share.

Valley Village, CA

The string of pearls= Senecio rowleyanus. I just lay down on top of the soil, then lightly scatter some mix over the strands, and wait. Watch and see if you can notice their growing season. I know they like to be shaded until they get going, then bright shade would do, or filtered sun. I don't know how strong your sun is in Jacksonville, I live the the San Fernando Valley and our sun is brutal needing 50% shade cloth in the hot summer months. No humidity to help them along.
Euphorbia tirucalli = 'Pencil Cactus' which is succulent, but not a cactus. Are we on the same page here, do I have the right species, or are you talking about something else?
I start mine in tiny rose pots, which are 4" deep and 1" square. Using about 4 pieces to a pot, cutting them off at the joints. Be sure to let them dry for several days. I would also wait until yhou have warm nights. Pencil Plants like to be on the dry side. When rooted put into a 4" pot, which we call a small four because it is not 4" on each side, but 4" deep. As said above, you need a light gritty mix of coarse sand, not beach sand and pumice or perlite, either will work, I put in about 20% humis, not any moss (peat moss) of any kind, because it holds water too long and when it dries out it is too hard to get wet again, and then it becomes very hard. You can even use small coarse shell that works very good, expecially oyster shell. Use a hammer to crack it up into small pieces about 1/4" size. If your native soil drains fast just use it then add the shell. I use egg shell in my soil. Hope these suggestion were of some help. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Jesse, the cactus and succulent soil is a good base, but add more coarse sand about 50% more, and add shell, or perlite. Norma

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi Norma - I haven't been on Daves Garden in over a year or so and glad to see you. I've gotten tons of advice reading your posts and a few years back you sent me some wonderful plants which are thriving.

Sugarweed, I recently moved from Jacksonville (Mandarin) to Lake City - I need to change my city, but good to meet someone so close by.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I would also use some gloves when you cut the pencil cactus, not due to hurting you, but it is pretty sticky and tends not to want to wash off.
I buy a box of the laytex surgical gloves at walmart. They are cheap and you just through them away. I use them to rub in flea spray on my dogs. Even planting bulbs and things as they keep my nails cleaner.

juja, Lake City is close enough for you to join us for a Jax DG afternoon.
Norma, thanks for advice. I now know the smoked window the pearls are in is the demise of their health. I'll make adjustments immediately.

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Sugarweed I would luv to join your group one afternoon - my kids still live in Jax. I have to work during week (to support my plant habit) :-) but let me know if you ever have a weekend one planned.

Okydoky

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.