Animal Bites!!!! YOW!!!

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I have learned a valuable lesson, I would like to pass along. Be CAREFUL!!!! I went to the emergency room , a week ago, I felt silly really , the Cause: Cat bite! The Doctor was not surprised. People have lost toes, and fingers to this. Not only cats, squirrels, racoons and Chipmunks. No Joke. No amount of scrubbing and soaking. topical ointments, to Draw. Will cure the infection. If you start to swell up ,go to the Doctor or emergency room,immediatley.
I am going on my 3rd round of oral antibiotics, the first weekend I had to go to the hospital for intervenious antibiotics every 8 hours. Now the Doctor has had an Xray done, to see if the infection is in the joints of the top of the ankle. I have had cats all my life, I have had superficial bites on the hand. This was all four teeth , punctures, deep. So it is why it is so bad. Just thought I would share this with you. I was barefoot. But I usually wear Hiking boots , when out and around. If I had had the hiking boot on I would have been saved. If this next round of antiobiotics doesnt work I will have to have surgery, to drain and clean out the wound. Be Careful you all, when you are out in the outdoors. Wear the protective clothing.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Chele! I am so sorry to hear this!! I was wondering where you were...I do hope you can recover soon. Please keep us posted. Lisa

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Mice bites, too. I had one several years ago, got tetenus shots, antibiotics, was on the list for rabies treatment when they decided that mice don't carry rabies, so I didn't have to go through that. Not fun - Michele, get well quick!
Kathleen

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Really sorry to hear about this Mich! I certainly hope the infection clears up soon and thanks for the warning!

Thousand Oaks, CA

I work at a veterinary clinic and we get bit all the time- hate that part of the job. Cat bites are bad... but large lizard bites are worse (nastier bacteria). But we also start ourselves on antibiotics immediately which helps. Taking something for the pain helps by not only making you feel better, but bringing down the swelling, redness etc. and the result is less tissue damage. Get well soon!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Chele! I didn't know it was still giving you so much trouble! I miss chatting with you, girl. Thanks for posting and letting us know how you're doing! -- Kimberley

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks everyone. I am still on antibiotics,and I have been walking a day or 2 now. The muscles and tendons are still sore. But I am down to ibuprofen for the pain.Its slow,but getting better everyday. Just in time too. My house needs attention. I lost a few plants too, casualties of my wound! I miss talking to you too. Michele

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

So glad to hear you're on the mend. I know what you mean about having some plant casualties - if we hadn't had the wet May we did, many of mine would have died after I tore those ligaments in my ankle! So glad to hear you're doing better!!

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

owwww, that must have hurt, hope you're feeling better!
what happened, was it your cat or someone elses?

lil

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

My new kitty, a stray that got dumped. We had just gotten him fixed. I think he was still under the influence when he bit me. It was an accident. I pushed him with my foot. When he was scared. He is not sick, and very affectionate. It was almost 3 weeks ago now and he isnt attacking anyone. It was just one of those unfortunate accidents. My fault too. For pushing him with my foot! I was moving him away from my older kitty. I thought she might get hurt. My Mistake! Thanks for you comments. Michele

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, between your health and the end of the rains for wild flowers I now understand the lack of new photos from you lately! Hope you are well soon and that we will soon be seeing lots of Michelle5000 photos again

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

we had that when we got a new kitty, she was a stray, a sweet black little skinny cat with all her whiskers bent - we found her at halloween, might have been a witches cat! we found her outside in the garden squeaking pathetically and asked around the doors if anyone had lost one, no one had so we kept her, she doesn't maiow- she squeaks so we called her squeaky. she and our other cat, kitty (i know original) fight all the time especially at the start, but they sit together now, even laying off each other for a couple of hours at a time! Got some nasty scratches from squeaky cos her claws are so sharp, but its nver on purpose, usually when she's playing she might catch you. Ive been ok with infections tho.

lil

Hillsboro, KY(Zone 6a)

Have they checked to see if you have a fungal infection? Some cats and dogs, when they bite you, they can give us various fungal infections. If it does't get better soon...I would have them run fungal cultures on your wounds and a series of blood cultures. Let us know...how it goes. You are in my prayers that it doesn't get any worse.
Arlinda

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Thankyou Arlinda, I hadnt heard about that. It is getting much better. But if it doesnt continue , I will discuss that with my doctor. It seems the tendons are pulled or damaged. But it is loosening up. Not going to be a speedy recovery.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Just an update. I am almost completely healed. The ankle is weaker than the other one. But I am able to drive now. I think I will finally be able to put a shoe on it. I am just so glad it wasnt permanent. I almost thought it was for awhile there.When I was on the chat I realized you didnt know I was doing better Thankyou for asking. I think of you as my internet freinds!!!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mich - we are all so glad that you are feeling better and healing nicely! Can't have you not being able to drive now can we? :-)

Wondered where ya went,whew girl,that's awful' Feline bites are really painful,I know,used to breed Siamese'

Sorry about your plants/housework too, but the focus is now YOU' Takes time Michele you know that and glad to hear you're back to driving''

I know all about poor animals being "dumped" Here in the country always have the orphans and most of us take care of them and try to find homes' I and others where we vet, started some petitions for a shelter' We are now getting one as the need is strong'Always just had a volunteer shelter but it's expensive and donations came too slow'

Has anyone seen the latest idea that San Francisco,Ca. is using for homeless cats/dogs? It's wonderful,NO CAGES'
The settings are rooms,like people's living rooms, etc. where the families looking for pets, can visit and observe the pets in a "normal living setting" Wonderful idea and hope it catches on throughout America''

Just thought I'd add that for all, as the neglected animals are on the rise and "fines,community time served should be stricter and inforced"

Take good care Michele'''Sis''

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Sis, You know down the hill in Palm Springs the Celbrities that live down there, do lots of charity work for animal shelters. Its good for the celebrities, and the animals. Is there a an actors guild there you could contact to organize something like this? Or have a "Run" to get donations for the shelters. Kids, adults , get so many dollars per each mile they run/walk. Doesnt cost much to organize. I am so much better now, this was almost 2 months ago. I think it will be quite awhile before it is ever completely back to normal. But I cant complain.
My hubby just got a home for a kitten today , at the Hotel he works at. People , we call them snow birds, leave expecting females at the hotels in the area. So if my hubby can catch them he tries to get them homes. Today another grey/silver persian kitten, got a home.
He said the kitten climbed up into the engine of a car, and some hotel guests, heard him crying in there to get warm. So my DH , rescued him. Im proud of him.

So what is there to like about cats again, :-), sorry michele, hope you are on the mend now.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi Michelle,
Was this your cat? I am afraid if it was mine I would be having cat stew? Hope you feel better real soon. No I am not an animal hater. I have many pets but don't want them bitting me. :)

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Sis, This cat , I think is part Burmese. HoniBee, he was still under the influence of anestesia.He was sorry right away. And slept with me night and day. He has turned out to be a very good cat. He is calmer, braver, and more affectionate. Than my Persian. Who I am still crazy about. But I think he will be a great pet. I guess I am a forgiving person. This was months ago.And he is gentler , and hasnt even scratched anyone. So me giving him a second chance, was a correct decision. I know I wont be sorry. And I am all better now. You see all things pass. Sometimes it is good to forgive. It was my fault for putting him in a position to defend himself and stick my foot between them.I knew better. I made the mistake.

Update Michelle,we're getting a NEW SHELTER finally' Take care'Sis'

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh good Sis , I am glad to hear it! Is it the kind like you described?

Not really but having nothing for sooo long has to be better'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.