Coleus cuttings

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

These few I cut from the garden before the last frost have rooted and are doing well.

Now if I can just keep them alive until spring, and maybe get some cuttings off of them.

Any helpful tips out there?

Thumbnail by darius
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, they are really looking good.

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Those look really nice. I have always had good luck with coleus cuttings and there are seldom problems. The one thing that could happen is that the top outgrows the ability of the new root system to support it. To allow the roots to grow without stressing them you can cut away half of each leaf. It will look funny for a while but will give you a stronger plant in the longrun. New stems will form at the nodes and take the place of the leaves. To avoid the problem in the first place, don't use too large a cutting. Two or three pairs of leaves are all you need. Jessamine

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just cut the top off and start again. If you leave a node on the old stump, it will sprout leaves and continue to grow. The cut off stems root and make new plants too. I do this in late winter when they are looking leggy anyway...they look pretty pitiful for a bit, then bush out and start putting out growth.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Coleus that is made for the shade is good as a houseplant. When I was growing up that is mainly what they were used for.
Now the sun loving one they have now I put in a sunny window and hope that is enough light for them.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Wow...nice plants.

Valley Village, CA

You did a good job, may I suggest that you put them in a plastic bag, they will need humidity. Or you can just mist them by hand, which may be easier for you. Give them some sun or they will grow lanky, and keep snipping the tips off to keep them compact. You may want to start fertilizing them, they seem to have a good roots system going for you. Crasulady2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.