Good fall for Brassicas.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Ye olde turnips are outdoing themselves this this year. Of course the collards, kale, mustard , Broccoli, and cabbage did nicely too.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Beautiful turnip there!

What's your favorite recipe as I just usually use them in beef stew. Thanks :)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

1.. sliced and diced and boiled with salt pork.
2. Used in place of cabbage in cabbage soup.
3. Diced and boiled with turnip greens.
4. Turnip puff
5. Turnip Gratin

There are a lot of ways to fix turnips, but some are not appetizing to me as I prefer simple. Just google turnip recipes

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer,

Nice turnip! Is it a purple top white globe? I didn't try any this fall, just a spring planting. Your's are clearly head and shoulders above what I raised!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Good eye Red. that is what it is . Still one of the best cultivars for me. I only grow them in the fall.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Here is my last cabbge. I'd better get out there and harvest it today before the snow gets here. :-)

Thumbnail by roseone33
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Good looking cabbage. Which cultivar is it? I ask because we need cabbage pictures in the PGB.

Sorry, I'm not sure. I started some early jersey wakefield seeds and bought some 6 packs at Walmart, labeled "early cabbage". These are clearly not early jersey wakefield because they don't have wakefield's elegant cone shaped.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

rose133;

You're going to love it, it's amazing how sweet a cabbage gets after a few frosts! Next year most of my cabbage, as well as brocolli, gets planted in the fall.

Great, I'm headed out to harvest it now. Thanks!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Oct november broc is tops as is cauli cabbage and brussels.

The cabbage in the photo had freeze damage, but under some row cover I found a small lone wakefield cabbage. I harvested both and will eat them today. Cole slaw, probably.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.