Zamioculcas Zamiifolia

Corte Madera, CA

After doing so well outside for 1.5 months, I moved my 2 ZZ plants inside the house to protect them from frost. ZZ No. 1 looks alright and infact growing a new stalk. ZZ No. 2 lost 2 stalks (saved them). After reading more about Zamioculcas Zamiifolia, I plucked the leaflets from the stalks that fell off and planted them today, hoping for new plants 1 year from now.

I don't know much about gardening, but trying to learn. Here's a photo of leaflets that I started today.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am very interested in doing the same thing Moonglow. I have only one ZZ but I would love to start more. I don't know how to do that. I will be watching this thread to see how well it works for you. Good luck and I hope they all do well.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Yes, ZZ is very easy to start, as shown in the picture above, and it WILL be a year before you have any "plants" to show for your effort.
Good luck!

Corte Madera, CA

jk, tl3, thank you!

yes, this thing is for the PATIENT ones. i don't have that virtue, but trying anyhow =). i looked at some pictures online, and i've seen this thing done...with the leaves completely drying and all...then a little "bulb" for the new plant. teenie-tiny.

happy new year!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I was watering my zz this afternoon,and noticed what I thought might be a flower starting to form.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You can also root a branch,I broke off a couple back in October,when the pot slipped out of my hand and crashed to the floor,I took the broken branches and stuck them in another pot,well I'd forgot about them until this thread,I just went back and gave a good hard tug on them both to find out they have rooted.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Corte Madera, CA

Thanks, Tropicman.

My 2 mature ZZ plants are doing good, I think. Nice new branch still growing on No. 1. ZZ No. 2 has not lost it's LAST remaining branch. I haven not watered them in over a week.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

MG,I use cactus potting soil,and added extra sand,for fast draining potting soil.
I water mine once a week,it's a fairly nice size plant,in a 2 gallon pot,which will be needed to up potted next year.I have it in a south facing window,and has been growing a new branch about once a month.I think once they get root bound a little, they grow a lot faster.
Good luck with all your new leaf starts.
Don

Corte Madera, CA

Don, thanks. Not sure if I mentioned that I used CACTUS potting soil for the leaflets. Now I feel better knowing that's what you use for ZZ plants, too.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your welcome,they should do just fine then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.