Stargazer

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Hi, I don't know anything about lily hybridizing. Are Oriental lilies self fertile. I have Stargazer and thought I crossed it with Dizzy but now when I look at the pic of Dizzy I think it was a Stargazer too! The pods are big and just about to split. Thanks for any and all 'breeding' info! Joelle

Edit= Also do you have a link on how to germinate these seeds. Thank you

This message was edited Dec 14, 2004 2:07 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Oriental lilies are indeed self fertile...if hybridizing you must make sure you remove the anthers from the opening flowers before the anther sacs open AND make sure there are no other anther sacs open on the same plant. You can use saran wrap to keep the stigma surface
'clean' until you are ready to put on the pollen of the other parent, then replace the wrap until the flower fades. If really keen, use 3M Waterproof First Aid Tape. It is breathable and better than the saran wrap. I use the tape when hybridizing rhododendrons and azaleas.

I regards to germinating seeds, I think lilies need a cool stratification period. Try mixing the seed with damp silica sand and place them in the fridge for a couple of months. Then you can sow the seed-sand mix and germinate them in a sunny window. I use this technique for alpine seeds...should work for lilies as well.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Todd, thank you so much for the great answer! Joelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.