BRASSICA FLOWERING CABBAGE OSAKA PINK SEEDS

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I have purchased some of these seeds. Can someone tell me when I receive them do I soak them like other seeds, or how is the best way to plant the seeds.

Linda

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't soak mine - I plant them in a seed starter mix and they sprout in 5 to 7 days. After they get a set of true leaves I transplant them to six paks. I grow them under floresecent lights for a couple of months and plant them out. Snails love the plants so you will need to bait.
George

geoz: When would the best time be to plant the seeds in the house so they will be ready for next year?

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Ornamental Cabbage, like regular cabbage is a cool weather crop. Here in Zone 9 we plant them in Sept for planting out in the garden in Oct. or Nov. A light frost increases their beauty and they look great until it warms up in the spring. Hopefully someone from your zone will give you their experiences with this plant. What are the lowest temps. you have in youe area?

Not really sure maybe around 20.

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

I have done some research and found that Ornamental Cabbages will stand temps as low as 5 degrees if the temp change is gradual. A sudden change in temps from warm to very cold would probably do them in. These plants work best if planted as plants in the fall, as the temps. start cooling down.
In this area (Zone 9) I plant 6pak plants arount Oct 1st and they grow and develop well into winter. We do not have snow or temps much below 27 degrees so the plants look nice all winter. In your area, the plants should have already been planted. If you planted then in the early spring they would bolt (go to seed) as soon as the weather started warming up. I start my seeds in mid august and set the plants out around Oct. 1st.
George

Thanks George. I did buy some plants and they are out now and they are looking great. But I also got the seeds, thanks to you I will know when to plant them so they will be ready for next fall. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks a bunch.

Linda

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Linda, keep an eye on these plants - the snails/slugs love them!
George

How cold does it have to get before you don't see snails or slugs?

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure - They do hibernate during the winter by digging into the soil - I would suspect that if you are having regular frosts that they won't be a problem.

Good. I guess the frost is good for something.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.